Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Statistics - I hate statistics!

Mar 24, 2010
Tunbridge Wells
I know this is worthless really, but it does indicate how teams outside the top six perform against each other, and come the end of the season, might be relevant?

The figure in the bottom right hand corner is the average number of points taken from the 'Big 6'

At the beginning of the season, I predicted that the most you can expect from those games is probably 6 points, and as you see, the average is well under 5.

Table correct after Crippled Alice Vs Munchester Untied Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 08.43.10.png
I'll update this after each Albion game.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I know this is worthless really, but it does indicate how teams outside the top six perform against each other, and come the end of the season, might be relevant?

The figure in the bottom right hand corner is the average number of points taken from the 'Big 6'

At the beginning of the season, I predicted that the most you can expect from those games is probably 6 points, and as you see, the average is well under 5.

Table correct after Crippled Alice Vs Munchester UntiedView attachment 94964

Not worthless at all. What I think it does show is that while we can look at run-ins and perceived easier games, the reason you're down there is because you haven't picked up points from those easier games through the season so far. While we're only 7 points above the drop zone, the bigger number is that 8 teams will have to out perform us, and by some margin for the remaining 9 games.

Also backs up the Poll on who is going down, and why so many are looking at West Brom, Stoke, Southampton because no matter who they're playing, their record outside the top 6 is poor. They are going to all need remarkable turnarounds. We can look below us knowing that for every remarkable turnaround down there, someone is dropping points.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Good work, not enough poeple round up to the nearest ninth decimal.

Not surprising that the teams, before the season started, you would have fancied to do well this season are the ones who have performed best against the top six.

It would be interesting to know how many games played v top six, how many points won at home / away.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Thanks - handy.

I’m liking the accuracy of the average, that billionth of a point might be what separates 17th from 18th come the end of the season. :wink:

Mar 24, 2010
Tunbridge Wells
Johnny RoastBeef, whilst I'm listening to the game in the comfort of my special chair, I'll prepare another table of just the games against the top six (I think we are still bottom though)

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea

Table correct after Crippled Alice Vs Munchester UntiedView attachment 94964

Great work, however Palarse aren't on 27 points if they've taken 4 points from top six, they're on 23 (They're on 27 points overall)

Also, Newcastle have taken 4 points from top 6 (3 vs United, 1 vs LPool) so number needs updating.
Huddersfield are on 27 points as they've taken 3 points off United, not 30 (They're on 30 points overall)
Swansea are on 23 points as they've taken 7 points off teams (They're on 30 overall)

Realised I quoted the wrong post lol

Last edited:

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Johnny RoastBeef, whilst I'm listening to the game in the comfort of my special chair, I'll prepare another table of just the games against the top six (I think we are still bottom though)

Isn't that what you've already got shown in the right-most column?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Hahahah I think you mean that you like the precision of the average. Look out [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION], I'm coming for your position as Chief Pendant.

You’re absolutely correct!

However [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] holds the post of chief pedant. I think the post of chief pendant is currently vacant; I’ll pencil your name in.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Thanks for producing this table [MENTION=16171]InsaneSociety[/MENTION] it was a stat that I was hoping somebody would produce and shows us in a good light. The other interesting (I think) fact is that all clubs have taken points against the top six - and something I wasn't aware of.

Notably we were were the latest to achieve that feat with the recent result vs Arsenal.

Mar 24, 2010
Tunbridge Wells
Great work, however Palarse aren't on 27 points if they've taken 4 points from top six, they're on 23 (They're on 27 points overall)

Also, Newcastle have taken 4 points from top 6 (3 vs United, 1 vs LPool) so number needs updating.
Huddersfield are on 27 points as they've taken 3 points off United, not 30 (They're on 30 points overall)
Swansea are on 23 points as they've taken 7 points off teams (They're on 30 overall)

Realised I quoted the wrong post lol

Thanks for pointing that out, I will amend shortly
Wag

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Thanks to everyone who pointed out my adding errors, hopefully the following table is accurate. Apologies for misleading some.
WagView attachment 94967
Good table.

There is another mistake though.

Brighton cannot possibly have the same number of points against the Top 6 as have Huddersfield.

I'm sure NSC told me that Hughton didn't have a clue about playing the Top 6 and needed to learn from David Wagner.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
OK, thats a healthy number of decimal places you've got there, maybe slim that down a tad...

the average number of points being below 5 when 6 is expected - you should really correct that for the number of games played so far if you want to compare with the expected, because as the number of games goes up, so that number will go up as more points are taken..

furthermore, comparing between teams is also subject to the same problem as points gained from different number of games...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
71.63% of statistics are made up anyway

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Surely this isnt a good thing when so many of our remaining games are against the top six? Though I think the players well believe they can get points from them now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If I were you [MENTION=16171]InsaneSociety[/MENTION], I'd be asking for a moderator to delete this thread before [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] spots it, and start another one. Get the new one right.

He'll unleash hell and fury upon you for this series of, quite frankly, schoolboy errors.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here