Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] European places

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
If Arsenal win the Europa League (don't laugh, stranger things have happened) and they also finish outside the top 5, and City or United or Spurs win the FA Cup and inside the top 5, there will be EIGHT European places up for grabs next year.

Not beyond the bounds of possibility, with a following wind and wins against, say, Everton, Leicester and Burnley, is it?

(Of course we could win the FA Cup ourselves and go straight in...)

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If Arsenal win the Europa League (don't laugh, stranger things have happened) and they also finish outside the top 5, and City or United or Spurs win the FA Cup and inside the top 5, there will be EIGHT European places up for grabs next year.

Not beyond the bounds of possibility, with a following wind and wins against, say, Everton, Leicester and Burnley, is it?

Please don't start this.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
The maximum number of English teams in UEFA competitions is seven.

Last season United (6th) won the Europa League and Arsenal won the FA Cup. The 7th placed team qualified (Everton), but not the eighth.

The only ways we can qualify is if we either win the FA Cup or finish 7th. You used to be able to qualify via the fair play league, but no longer.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The maximum number of English teams in UEFA competitions is seven.

Last season United (6th) won the Europa League and Arsenal won the FA Cup. The 7th placed team qualified (Everton), but not the eighth.

The only ways we can qualify is if we either win the FA Cup or finish 7th. You used to be able to qualify via the fair play league, but no longer.

Win the cup it is then....

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Exactly ....IF we stay up ...next year is all about staying up again and starting that long road to consolidating a place in the PL

The main aim of this and next season should be staying in the Premier League, yes, but that's not what it should be 'all about'. The whole point of competition is to progress and try and win things. I hope that at some point we will either be able to win a cup or qualify for the Europa League. IF we were to win at Everton next week, we would be virtually safe, and therefore the FA Cup the following week will be what's left of the season. I'm expecting us to be knocked out by United, but I do have a bit of hope of us at least being able to force a draw, and so taking it to extra time and possibly penalties.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But I was thinking it, it's about football, and so I reckoned my favourite football messageboard would be a good place for it
But there are ways of doing it. For example:

I know Palace are hoping for a European place this year, do they only have to finish 8th?

We have the worst run in, survival is still our goal.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Palace have 1 of those places already in the bag, so I've been told.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

Just NO. This is the exact same nonsense that Palace have been slaughtered for on here.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011

Let's not go getting ahead of ourselves, only a couple of games ago most supporters were desperately concerned about relegation. After some great performances that looks less likely, but it's still a possibility, there's still much work to be done and some hard games to be won or drawn.

talking of Europe makes us sound as daft as the idiots up at Smellhurst. look what's happened to them.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Exactly ....IF we stay up ...next year is all about staying up again and starting that long road to consolidating a place in the PL

The Cup? If we beat MU .. if we win the SF then if we win the CF...lot of if’s
What about the butts ?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
What happens if the FA Cup Final is between two Champions League qualifiers and another is a semi-finalist ?

I this a gateway for Wigan Athletic or Southampton should they reach the semi-finals (assuming everything goes by the book) ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ignore the doomsayers on here [MENTION=105]The Clown of Pevensey Bay[/MENTION], I'm with you. It's not beyond the realms of possibility at all. We are 10th, with games against Burnley, Leicester and Everton to come - immediate rivals for 7th or 8th. We are only 6 points behind Burnley in 7th, closer than we are to the NigeIs in the bottom 3 (*chortle*).

Obviously we probably won't finish 7th or even 8th, but it's about as likely as relegation on here - which everyone seems perfectly happy to talk about, despite the fact that on other threads we have debates over whether our various players will be at the World Cup. A bit odd really - either they might not be good enough to stay up or they're good enough to go to Russia, but surely not both.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
BHA. Europe?

giphy.gif

Survival. That's the word.

This makes I laugh.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills