Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Thank you Palace

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I’ll never get my head around how our club were stupid enough to let Murray go. Gus got to see him train every day and play every week, and still let him go for the sake of a couple of grand a week. It’s the worst recruitment decision we’ve ever made.

There must be something in the water, because after scoring 30 goals to help get Palace promoted, you too let him go. This leaves me in the weird position of having to thank the club I despise for our success. Thanks to you, Glenn came home and fired us to our best ever season in the Championship, winning us the biggest prize in football. Thanks to you, he’s scoring the goals that sees us (at least for now) in the top half of the PL, and gives us the freedom to enjoy games like last night’s care free.

Given your current predicament I appreciate it can’t be easy for you to be happy for us and the man that once helped you, but I want you to know I will always be grateful, your generosity won’t be forgotten.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Don't forget that FA cup goal . Marvelous scenes :banana:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I’ll never get my head around how our club were stupid enough to let Murray go. Gus got to see him train every day and play every week, and still let him go for the sake of a couple of grand a week. It’s the worst recruitment decision we’ve ever made.

Worse than letting Barnes go? Murray was the finished article, Barnes was on the up and was only going to get better.

If we'd kept both of them, we'd have been promoted far earlier but, sooner or later, Poyet would have have a hissy fit about something and left and we may not have ended up with Hughton. Maybe things work out for the best,

But, thanks Palace (and Bournemouth) anyway

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Worse than letting Barnes go? Murray was the finished article, Barnes was on the up and was only going to get better.

If we'd kept both of them, we'd have been promoted far earlier but, sooner or later, Poyet would have have a hissy fit about something and left and we may not have ended up with Hughton. Maybe things work out for the best,

Football is a game of opinions. I really do not have any time for Mr Poyet.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Give Glenn the right service no matter what level he scored goals.
Service this year has been brilliant and we have reaped the rewards.
Palace made the same mistake we did when our management team let him go thinking we don’t need that type of CF anymore because we are better than that.
Most unbelievable thing is how many times the mistake has been made.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Agreed. And while we're in the grateful mood, can I also thank them for last night. It just made a superb 36 hours even better, the icing on an already delicious cake. The fact defeat was so undeserved and United were so sh!te just made it even funnier.

larus

There must be something in the water, because after scoring 30 goals to help get Palace promoted, you too let him go. This leaves me in the weird position of having to thank the club I despise for our success. Thanks to you, Glenn came home and fired us to our best ever season in the Championship, winning us the biggest prize in football. Thanks to you, he’s scoring the goals that sees us (at least for now) in the top half of the PL, and gives us the freedom to enjoy games like last night’s care free.

Given your current predicament I appreciate it can’t be easy for you to be happy for us and the man that once helped you, but I want you to know I will always be grateful, your generosity won’t be forgotten.

Perversely, this whole merry-go-round with Gus, CMS, Murray, Mike Dean, Middlesbrough etc., may turn out to have been the best solution for our long-term progression.

We had the extra year in the Champiosnhip which enabled the team to strengthen a little more for last year (which was a great season too), then add the extra quality this this too without having to change too many.

So, thank you Palace for minding GM for a little while for us before he cam home.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
When Muzza left I was devastated, I'd just watched him play his heart out at Withdean, one moment attacking our opponents the next defending against them, he was the complete centre forward! I spent the next seasons hurting with every goal especially when scored by him against us, our first league defeat at the Amex, then watching him score for fun dragging 'THEM' into the Premier league ahead of us, even scoring against us for Reading (twice) while recovering from his awful knee injury, every time he's scored I seemed to be counting the days to his eventual retirement so that the hurting would stop? I can only praise the football Gods who relented and allowed for his return home. I do not thank 'THEM' they were as stupid as we had been and the smug one equally stupid. Their mistakes have corrected all this, the earth is back on its axis and we're where we deserve to be above both, which is thoroughly deserved by us after having to go through the ordeal as previously stated. I say again THANKS Hughton, Bloom, Barber and all the recruiting team, you are the FOOTBALL GODS,

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
When Muzza left I was devastated, I'd just watched him play his heart out at Withdean, one moment attacking our opponents the next defending against them, he was the complete centre forward! I spent the next seasons hurting with every goal especially when scored by him against us, our first league defeat at the Amex, then watching him score for fun dragging 'THEM' into the Premier league ahead of us, even scoring against us for Reading (twice) while recovering from his awful knee injury, every time he's scored I seemed to be counting the days to his eventual retirement so that the hurting would stop? I can only praise the football Gods who relented and allowed for his return home. I do not thank 'THEM' they were as stupid as we had been and the smug one equally stupid. Their mistakes have corrected all this, the earth is back on its axis and we're where we deserve to be above both, which is thoroughly deserved by us after having to go through the ordeal as previously stated. I say again THANKS Hughton, Bloom, Barber and all the recruiting team, you are the FOOTBALL GODS,

Was it just me or were the first sentence or two capable of being lyrics to " I will survive"?

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
A really myth seems to have developed that we didn’t keep Murray as he wanted a couple of grand a week more and we fancied CMS.

Truth was Muzza was skint thanks to his ex wife and he needed a signing on fee we weren’t prepared to offer that on a renewal (would have opened the floodgates for all the other players) so he went.
So if you want to blame someone blame Mrs Murray!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes. He's a decent player, but doesn't score half as many as Murray. He's a different kind of player and we can't tell whether he's have ever helped get us promoted.

Spot on...

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Perversely, this whole merry-go-round with Gus, CMS, Murray, Mike Dean, Middlesbrough etc., may turn out to have been the best solution for our long-term progression.

We had the extra year in the Champiosnhip which enabled the team to strengthen a little more for last year (which was a great season too), then add the extra quality this this too without having to change too many.

So, thank you Palace for minding GM for a little while for us before he cam home.

Agree with this. Our promoted squad was waaaaaaaay better than previous squads. A solid foundation for the Premier League, as we've seen.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
We thought CMS was better. He was for a season, and then we were wrong. They thought Benteke was better. He was for a season, and then they were wrong.

Agree with you to a point, but CMS was/is a completely different footballer to Glenn Murray. Gus was monumentally wrong for thinking one could replace another. They might have been (probably would have been) brilliant together.

Benteke on the other hand is a direct replacement for GM. Palace have an easier comparison to make. Colin got it even more monumentally wrong for them. Thank for for that.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Trolling Palace on a Brighton board? ??? We won't see any of them around here for a while.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010

Murray has always seemed to have had a good attitude. Barnes not so, and after tripping the ref and getting an 8 match ban was probably reason enough at the time to let him go, as he was a little bit of a liability.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here