Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Some perspective on Palace losing last night

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I know that last night was a great pleasure to behold for one and all here. But I also know that we understand the brotherhood of the common football fan. Rivals or not there is a unique dignity between 'decent' fans of football clubs who understand the bitter sweet relationship handed to us by the fact that our teams do not win every week and do not win titles/cups or conquer Europe.

I have just been informed that a Palace fan died just outside the ground last night as he/she was about to enter the ground. I know no more than this bar the fact that it was not related to disorder of any kind.

Puts things into perspective.

Rip fellow football fan.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Very sad - RIP

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I know that last night was a great pleasure to behold for one and all here. But I also know that we understand the brotherhood of the common football fan. Rivals or not there is a unique dignity between 'decent' fans of football clubs who understand the bitter sweet relationship handed to us by the fact that our teams do not win every week and do not win titles/cups or conquer Europe.

I have just been informed that a Palace fan died just outside the ground last night as he/she was about to enter the ground. I know no more than this bar the fact that it was not related to disorder of any kind.

Rip fellow football fan.

Well said

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
For all that we enjoy the cut and thrust of the game, and especially the rivalry, there are things more important than any sport. I hope their family gets some form of comfort from knowing they were on their way to do something they loved.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Rip fellow football fan.

Well said sir, absolutely and utterly this. I know that to many on here Palace are the sworn enemy. Much less so with me though, yes they are big rivals, but no more or less so than many other teams.

Frankly it was hard not to feel sorry for them last night. Let's face it it could have been us against Arsenal losing that two goal lead, and l know gutted l would have felt.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
That's very sad, condolencies to the fan and his family. At the end of the day, Palace fans are just people like us, that happen to support a different football team. It's great to have a same division rivalry, but as said in other comments, football is a side issue when it comes to people's lives.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
To any Palace supporters dipping into this thread, our condolences go to you. The supporter might well have been somebody known and very dear to you. All banter is suspended at these times. The football family comes together.

larus

As much as I love the opportunity to gloat over Palace (which, being honest, has been a very rare thing for so many years), I don’t hate Palace fans. I don’t understand the need to go and beat the crap out of some stranger because they happen to live in another part of the country and support their local team.

So, RIP to a fellow ‘true’ football fan.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Was there any need to bring that up? The OP stated that the death outside the stadium "was not related to disorder of any kind."

Condolences to the friends and families.

Indeed. Tragic as though it is, these things happen on our streets everyday

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As much as we like the panto banter between rivals, Palace fans are similar to us, in supporting a local team, and not armchair glory hunters. Condolences to the family and friends of the fan who died. As has been posted, he died doing something he loved.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Was there any need to bring that up? The OP stated that the death outside the stadium "was not related to disorder of any kind."

Condolences to the friends and families.

There were rather limited details in both the OPs account and that in The Evening Standard's report. The other tragic, and separate, incident, outside a pub close to Selhurst Park on a match day, The Met Police have subsequently stated they're not linking to the game, as per the post above yours. Very sad news to hear of both.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Wasn't aware of that before - very sad news, and as you say, puts it in perspective.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here