Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Local parks funding petition

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Good morning.

Was wondering if you lovely people could sign the petition to help keep our valuable parks and green spaces funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund to protect and improve them for the future.

Dear Colleagues

The following is regarding the Petition by The Parks Alliance to keep providing

ring-fenced lottery funding for parks.

"The Parks Alliance is the voice of UK parks, representing the people and organisations that create, maintain, invest in and use the public green spaces”

The Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) want to abandon their hugely successful Parks for People programme that invested millions of peoples lottery money into improving parks and local facilities.

The HLF are currently consulting on this change in funding so help to convince them to rethink and keep this precious funding so our parks can be protected and continue to be enjoyed by everyone. The Parks Alliance will be handing in the petition to the consultation before it closes on March 22nd. The link to the Petition:-

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/protect-heritage-lottery-funding-for-parks

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
On a recent quick visit to Brighton (for the 'hammers game) I was still impressed by the 'Rockery' and the sight of it bought back so many memories of the 50's & 60's - but pray tell me, if you can, why are the flower beds in Preston Park (opposite the Rockery) such a b****y mess? Growing up in Brighton all those years ago even as a pre-teenager I loved the colour and designs of the flower beds that various English Boroughs provided for lay-outs for the annual competition. Much publicity was gained, it gave a wonderful introduction to the town, as it was then, now city, and there seemed a sense of pride. Now it's just a mess followed by an even bigger one that was the bowling greens.

Rant over, I'm pleased, and slightly relieved that such a good job is still being done on the Rockery by the team, but it shows the rest of the area to be run down.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Unfortunately, it’s all down to the cutbacks that local parks are having. The once garish summer bedding plants have been replaced with summer flowering herbaceous perennials and grasses which are much less labour and cost intensive. Some councils (think it could be Bristol) have stopped all parks maintenance in order to protect more essential services.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
On a recent quick visit to Brighton (for the 'hammers game) I was still impressed by the 'Rockery' and the sight of it bought back so many memories of the 50's & 60's - but pray tell me, if you can, why are the flower beds in Preston Park (opposite the Rockery) such a b****y mess? Growing up in Brighton all those years ago even as a pre-teenager I loved the colour and designs of the flower beds that various English Boroughs provided for lay-outs for the annual competition. Much publicity was gained, it gave a wonderful introduction to the town, as it was then, now city, and there seemed a sense of pride. Now it's just a mess followed by an even bigger one that was the bowling greens.

Rant over, I'm pleased, and slightly relieved that such a good job is still being done on the Rockery by the team, but it shows the rest of the area to be run down.

As budgets got tighter, the Parks Dept had to make cuts. The traditional seasonal bedding which used to be planted in those beds is the most expensive ground cover you can have. Therefore they were "moved" along a bit and replanted with herbaceous plants including ornamental grasses. This type of permanent planting is five times cheaper. At the time this decision was taken, it cost £ 40 m2 for seasonal bedding and £ 8 m2 for herbaceous planting.
They may look a little scruffy this time of year, with perhaps just the grasses of any visual value, but in the summer they look quite nice.
The Rock Garden though is indeed the jewel in our Parks' crown.
The bowling greens have been put over to annual wild flower planting. As with most sports including football and cricket, the demand for pitches has decreased to such an extent that it isn't viable to provide them. Preston Park has gone from six to one bowling green. Two of them are planted each summer with wild flowers and do look stunning. Unfortunately, the display only lasts for the summer. The rest of the year, the areas do look a little sad. This goes with the territory.
My take on the decline of people playing sport is that it's too much like hard work, compared to sitting in front of your telly with an X-Box. Links in with obesity too.

Just voted too.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Jack / Jevs - what's happening with the 'mens bowls pavilion' and tile house? Both vacant for ages but seem to be 'let' according to the commercial agents page?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Jack / Jevs - what's happening with the 'mens bowls pavilion' and tile house? Both vacant for ages but seem to be 'let' according to the commercial agents page?

Jevs may know as he's still involved there. Thankfully, I retired nearly two year's ago!

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Jevs may know as he's still involved there. Thankfully, I retired nearly two year's ago!

Yeah....thankfully :lolol: Not sure what's going on to be honest as i'm over in the Rockery so it's not really anything to do with me.

Preston Park has gone from six to one bowling green.

Hasn't got any now mate. Last one went out of commission 2 years ago.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here