Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Off-peak Day Return to London

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As someone who has paid a small fortune more than I need to by leaving buying train tickets until it's too late, can a train guru advise me whether an Off-peak Day Return to London (for tomorrow as it happens) is available to buy on the day at the same price (£33.40 West Worthing -> London) or do I need to buy it now to collect tomorrow?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's not an advance ticket so should be available on the day.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes you can pay that on the day.

Think about national railcard to. £30 a year but will take 1/3rd off that so pays for itself after 4 trips to London

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Super Off-Peak are even cheaper and available on the day too. Just pointing it out as they often seem to hide that option pretty well. Depends on time of travel though - coming back not allowed between something like 1600-1915.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
For the ticket Bozza is getting, the Network Railcard isn't valid.

Unless they've changed the rules since I was selling them it depends when he is traveling. If it is after 10:00am then it's perfectly fine.

Not that I know when Bozza is traveling.

Madafwo

Nov 11, 2013
If his ticket is £33.40, it's before 9am. Otherwise it's about £24.

If he wants to return from London between 16:15 and 19:15 he'd still need the Off Peak and not the Super Off Peak as it wouldn't be valid.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
For the ticket Bozza is getting, the Network Railcard isn't valid.

I thought it was only the full fare £60+ day return that wasn’t available for using network railcard on?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks all - yes it’s pre-9am up - I’m waiting at WW now as it happens and I’m not sure what time I’ll be back but wouldn’t want to have a time when I couldn’t travel.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And the rules of train tickets aren't complicated at all .... no siree !!!!

I got caught out on the Super Of Peak ticket a while back - ended up having a couple of beers at Victoria to get to the time I could use it.

taz

Feb 18, 2015
Not from Worthing ,, but from Brighton buy a southern saver or a Thames link saver on any Brighton and hove bus about £19_£20 including all bus travel in Brighton and hove, time restricted after 10am no return 430pm-7pm for train,, when in London use bus 1.50p per journey however long with Max £4.50 as many journeys as you like, must use a bank debit contactless card to swipe when getting on (do not swipe getting off),,, top deck of a London bus is a great interesting way to travel,, and usual only half full !!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Thanks all - yes it’s pre-9am up - I’m waiting at WW now as it happens and I’m not sure what time I’ll be back but wouldn’t want to have a time when I couldn’t travel.

Surely there's enough OP trains you can catch, to get home at a reasonable time!

Madafwo

Nov 11, 2013
To complicate things further it's not the departure time that determines whether it is Peak, Off Peak or Super Off Peak but the arrival time in London.

Arriving after 09:55 is OP, arriving after 10:55 is SOP, no restriction on what time you leave London on an OP but there is for SOP. I doubt it would surprise anyone to say that while learning all this it was a struggle to stay awake.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Can I hijack this thread by asking my own question? My wife is going to need to travel to London at peak times three days a week next year. Is there a way of doing this that saves money and/or doesn't involve buying tickets all the time?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can I hijack this thread by asking my own question? My wife is going to need to travel to London at peak times three days a week next year. Is there a way of doing this that saves money and/or doesn't involve buying tickets all the time?

You can look at season tickets, but I think the break point is at 4 days a week. Worth having a look at anyway as train pricing is a funny old thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here