Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Coaching

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Wondering how many NSC members coach football at different levels.

I have been doing a course this weekend and there was much talk this morning about moving towards a 'Whole Part Whole' system rather than the 10 year old system that we have been using in Australia.

http://www.thefa.com/get-involved/c...ue-29/england-dna-approach-to-coaching_140917

What are your thoughts on different coaching systems?

For reference i am coaching an U14's B team this season (this could end up being a C team in the B competition)

Any tips from coaches on running quality sessions?

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd never heard of Whole Part Whole system.

I'm interested in different coaching methods: I'm a L2 cricket coach and hope to do my L2 rugby qualification this summer.

I like learning from different sports and what we can do to improve the process.

The hot thing is rugby at the moment is CARDS http://www.englandrugby.com/news/features/how-cards-are-shaping-england-next-generation/

The aim is to get the players thinking more creatively.

I'd love to hear about coaching techniques, it's not something discussed much on NSC

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'd never heard of Whole Part Whole system.

I'm interested in different coaching methods: I'm a L2 cricket coach and hope to do my L2 rugby qualification this summer.

I like learning from different sports and what we can do to improve the process.

The hot thing is rugby at the moment is CARDS http://www.englandrugby.com/news/features/how-cards-are-shaping-england-next-generation/

The aim is to get the players thinking more creatively.

I'd love to hear about coaching techniques, it's not something discussed much on NSC

Reading this about Whole Part Whole at the moment.

http://www.thefa.com/get-involved/c...ue-29/england-dna-approach-to-coaching_140917

The creativity and thinking side of things was discussed at length at the course i have just been on and they used the PDE acronym

P - Perception - What do you see and here on the pitch.
D - Decision - What does the player decide to do about that information.
E - Execution - How does the player go about implementing his decision.

The idea is that this is in all sessions and drills so we get players to make their own decision rather than follow coaches instructions

I will have a look at CARDS too.

I thought we needed a thread about coaching as we have such a wide range of knowledge about everything else, it should be useful.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Yes and mixed levels. Number 1 thing is to take on board everything you hear and everyone else's ideas, but then make them your own! If they are tweaked to suit you and your style they will come across so much better so don't be afraid to go off script. People are supposed to be teaching you how to be a good coach, not to read from a script so trust yourself as well as your gut feeling about the best way to deliver things to your players.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes and mixed levels. Number 1 thing is to take on board everything you hear and everyone else's ideas, but then make them your own! If they are tweaked to suit you and your style they will come across so much better so don't be afraid to go off script. People are supposed to be teaching you how to be a good coach, not to read from a script so trust yourself as well as your gut feeling about the best way to deliver things to your players.

Good advice thank you.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I coach cricket at CAG [county age group] both male & female.

Key to good coaching is being player-centric - give them what they need, not necessarily what they want, or you want them to do ...
Having an open mindset to new ideas & methods - some of the best drills I deliver are "borrowed" from other coaches and then embellished.
Never be too proud to ask for other coaches' opinion - they may have a view that could help you.
Ensure your sessions are "fun" - I often refer to it as the "f" word - a serious learning environment is yours to create but once you have that, progress is meteoric.

In the ECB's coach education model used "whole-part-whole" as the rebirth of "reverse-chaining" a few years ago now. More up to date is TGfU [Teaching Games for Understanding] - some stuff here to maybe give you some ideas -

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
:moo::moo::moo:

Attachments

• route-one-football-2.png
    route-one-football-2.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 148

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
Im quite unorthodox in my approach. Sometimes i can use the whole part whole style, sometimes i just let them do their own thing (they are actually quite mature with this and i see benefits from letting them set the agenda) and sometimes we drill specific things if problems have come up in matches (goal kicks mainly). I trawl through pages and videos to find things to help combat some of the silly mistakes and make up stuff to help teach specific things like the offside rule.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I'm a goalkeeper coach and find the whole-part-whole system quite useful especially when you're working on a new or different technique. Especially when you're working with players who think they already know it all. Trying to introduce a new system/technique straight from scratch is hard but if you allow them to make the errors then show them a way which will prevent those errors, the players will take on what you say quicker.

It also gives the players a good opportunity to try solve the problem before you step in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here