Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Travel advise

ShivasIrons

Feb 16, 2018
I am planning on bringing the wife to England this summer it will be her first time. spending a week in london, 2 days Brighton, 1 day Bath and then 2 days in West Bay (yes because of BroadChurch) West Bay appears real small; is 2 days too long. any advise is appreciated; it will be my 2nd visit to England loved the first visit thanks in advance...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am planning on bringing the wife to England this summer it will be her first time. spending a week in london, 2 days Brighton, 1 day Bath and then 2 days in West Bay (yes because of BroadChurch) West Bay appears real small; is 2 days too long. any advise is appreciated; it will be my 2nd visit to England loved the first visit thanks in advance...

West Bay is at the heart of Dorset’s Jurassic coastline, and if you like walking it has some incredible scenery, beaches, cliff top walks, lovely pubs etc. You’ll easily fill 2 days I would say.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Westbay is beautiful. I grew up nearby. Scallops from the fish shop on the corner of the harbour are the bees knees. Pop along the coast to Durdledore and onto the Isle of Portland or head inland to Piddle, some of the best pubs in the U.K. are there .

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Some of the best coastline in the country down there. If the weather is nice make the most of it.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
My wife comes from Bridport, the larger town about a mile away from West Bay. I would recommend staying there - it's a lovely little town with so much more to do than you will find in West Bay.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

West Bay is at the heart of Dorset’s Jurassic coastline, and if you like walking it has some incredible scenery, beaches, cliff top walks, lovely pubs etc. You’ll easily fill 2 days I would say.

and the rest, TBH if it's a first visit to Dorset 2 days won't be enough, as you won't even get to the fluumphing stage of the break.

You can lose a day sat outside The Anchor pub in Seatown, underneath Golden Cap, and another walking in the other direction to The Hive at Burton Bradstock.

Hell Lane in Chideock is quite something.
As is The Ilchester Arms at the foot of Colmers Hill.

West Bay is all about being outdoors so that you can then be indoors with a pint of Palmers IPA and the most outrageous roast pork sandwich, you've ever seen.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

For Bath for just the day, you could visit the Roman Baths, then relax at the Thermae Bath Spa, ending up at the Green Park Brasserie :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd bin off Brighton and Bath do a week in London followed by a week in Dorset.

It'll be like a 2 week break in the 21st and 19th centuries. :lol:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
A week in any capital city is too much - London is busy, noisy, dirty and expensive.

Obviously it's horses for courses, but I'd cut down the London leg and spend more time in the south west which is a nicer part of the country.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'd bin off Brighton and Bath do a week in London followed by a week in Dorset.

It'll be like a 2 week break in the 21st and 19th centuries. :lol:

Agreed. I'm about to gell mullered for saying this, but unless you are coming to watch the Albion, there isn't a whole lot else to see in Brighton. Just concentrate on our capital city, and Dorset. There will be more tjhan enough there to keep you occupied.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
A week in any capital city is too much - London is busy, noisy, dirty and expensive.

Obviously it's horses for courses, but I'd cut down the London leg and spend more time in the south west which is a nicer part of the country.

Definitely don't spend too long in London.

Don't plan too much in London either. If you're okay with walking, just set off walking with a map and head roughly towards whichever sight it is you're aiming for, making sure you keep off the big roads - go along the back streets and parks. You'll see tons of London's history and architecture without even trying, and you'll get a better feel for the place than just going to the museums and tourist hotspots. Good guides here https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/visit-the-city/walks/Pages/self-guided.aspx

Also - try a pub crawl of 'proper' pubs - such as here https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/united-kingdom/england/london/articles/best-historical-london-pub-crawl-camra/, or here https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/united-kingdom/england/london/articles/london-best-historic-pubs-the-ultimate-tour/ The Princess Louise in Holborn is also well worth a visit.

Bath is great - but a few days is probably enough. Don't miss the Star Inn, a real gem of a true English pub.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Don't go to London it's a dive

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

It'll be the OP wife first time in England.
Don't forget all the stuff in the capital we really couldn't give a rats arse about will be on the 'must see' list.

I'll be a little worried about transporting themselves around Southern England.
Brighton to Bath isn't much fun by any means.
Then getting down to West Bay, at the wrong time of day (time of the year) could be another nightmare.
From then they'll have to get 'home', again not pretty.

ShivasIrons

Feb 16, 2018

Thank you all for the advise; much appreciated. I would cut back the time in London but the misses does have her list. I have demanded we watch all 4 quarter final World cups matches at some pubs and very hopeful England is still in it. Thanks all.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here