Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Diabetes has five categories, a study shows.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I couldn't see any other thread on this subject.

A report has come out that says there are five categories of diabetes, and not types 1 & 2.
For me this is interesting, as I know of several people who are affected by this serious disease, and it gives me more of an insight to an understanding of the way people have to deal with it.
I guess there are people on NSC who have to deal with this, and also know of people who have it.

We identified five replicable clusters of patients with diabetes, which had significantly different patient characteristics and risk of diabetic complications. In particular, individuals in cluster 3 (most resistant to insulin) had significantly higher risk of diabetic kidney disease than individuals in clusters 4 and 5, but had been prescribed similar diabetes treatment. Cluster 2 (insulin deficient) had the highest risk of retinopathy. In support of the clustering, genetic associations in the clusters differed from those seen in traditional type 2 diabetes.

More here and here

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I was diagnosed 30 years ago, 6 months after leaving the RN. I was about 11 stone at the time and fairly fit, and, tbf they have never been able to excactly characterise my type . Over the years I’ve been told I’m type 1, and type 2, by different consultants/diabetic nurses. My last check up, I was told there is a new category, LADA, which describes my symptoms etc perfectly. I don’t know what new category I will fit into, but, it is quite interesting.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here