Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] FAO Bozza - reporting an Ad

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Yep - it’s a standard IAB banner that sites should be displaying post-GDPR.

I’d be surprised if you’ve not seen similar on other sites of late.

Hi Bozza - seen similar on other sites, but the variation in being able to selectively disable some or all of the tracking implemented on websites is huge. Some sites have a disable all option together with the option of disabling individual trackers. If you look at the number of trackers on here there are hundreds. Whilst the ads that support this site want to show us appropriate banners and advertising based on our browsing history, is there anyway you can request or implement a 'disable-all' option?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Yep - it’s a standard IAB banner that sites should be displaying post-GDPR.

I’d be surprised if you’ve not seen similar on other sites of late.

It was awful on my Ipad taking up a quarter of the screen, without access to the consent box. I took a screenshot which is in an earlier post #58.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
i've seen all manner of crappy banners and popups, making browsing right pain as they often over lay the page until you say "yes i will allow a hundred companies to track me". of course they did before and we didn't see it. this one is notable in the lack of branding. noted and clicked.

btw i doubt its compliant with GDPR, the options are to continue implying consent, not explicit and no option to reject. heyho, theres many interpretations.

I'm told by our industry expert ad partners that it is fully IAB compliant. It certainly looks pretty much the same to me as the numerous ones I've seen across all manner of sites over the last month or so.

You can turn off as many or as few of the ad-tracking options as you like with it. I clicked "continue" on NSC just as I have on about a zillion other similar banners.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hi Bozza - seen similar on other sites, but the variation in being able to selectively disable some or all of the tracking implemented on websites is huge. Some sites have a disable all option together with the option of disabling individual trackers. If you look at the number of trackers on here there are hundreds. Whilst the ads that support this site want to show us appropriate banners and advertising based on our browsing history, is there anyway you can request or implement a 'disable-all' option?

I can ask.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It was awful on my Ipad taking up a quarter of the screen, without access to the consent box. I took a screenshot which is in an earlier post #58.

It's supposed to be awful and noticeable so that people see it and act as they see fit. Once they've acted, they'll not see it again.

I will check out the banner on my iPad when I get the chance and raise an issue if I agree there is one.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It's supposed to be awful and noticeable so that people see it and act as they see fit. Once they've acted, they'll not see it again.

I will check out the banner on my iPad when I get the chance and raise an issue if I agree there is one.

It was so large and noticeable, taking up so much of the screen, I couldn't act on it. I will also add I have a mini Ipad.

It wasn't until I logged onto Nsc on my pc, I could see the whole banner. I would imagine, users on their phones could have similar problems.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It was so large and noticeable, taking up so much of the screen, I couldn't act on it. I will also add I have a mini Ipad.

It wasn't until I logged onto Nsc on my pc, I could see the whole banner. I would imagine, users on their phones could have similar problems.

It was fine on my phone.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You can turn off as many or as few of the ad-tracking options as you like with it. I clicked "continue" on NSC just as I have on about a zillion other similar banners.

i didnt see an option for that, learn more or continue to site. i allow ads for NSC anyway so no problem, and we've confirmed its genuine.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis

Once it's been clicked on it disappears from that page, but it then immediately reappears on the next NSC page I look at.
It appears on every page.
I'm using a MacBook Air.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Once it's been clicked on it disappears from that page, but it then immediately reappears on the next NSC page I look at.
It appears on every page.
I'm using a MacBook Air.

I'm using a MacBook Air and both as a guest and a logged in user on both Safari and Chrome when I've clicked "continue to site" it goes and I've not seen it again.

I've re-tested it using private / incognito sessions on both browsers and it behaves as I would expect it to.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
i didnt see an option for that, learn more or continue to site. i allow ads for NSC anyway so no problem, and we've confirmed its genuine.

"Learn More" gives you all the detail and toggle switches to determine tracking / non-tracking ads etc.

You will still get ads if you opt out of everything, I suspect they'll just be shitty low-quality ones. Personally I'd rather see ads for stuff I am interested in, but each to their own.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch

Clicking on ‘learn more’ gives access to the ad tracking options, although it would take several hours to switch off the literally hundreds of companies who appear. There is simply no way to turn them all off with a single action.

That’s a pretty poor implementation, how many people will just give up out of frustration and just go back and click ‘agree’. It’s certainly not in the spirit of giving users control over what information is shared and with whom.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's good, but as you can see by my screenshot in post #58, it wasn't for me.

I've now tested it on my iPad in both orientations and it works perfectly.

I've dug out an old iPad Mini from the bottom of the drawer and once it's charged itself back to life I will look on there too.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Clicking on ‘learn more’ gives access to the ad tracking options, although it would take several hours to switch off the literally hundreds of companies who appear. There is simply no way to turn them all off with a single action.

That’s a pretty poor implementation, how many people will just give up out of frustration and just go back and click ‘agree’. It’s certainly not in the spirit of giving users control over what information is shared and with whom.

Agreed and one of many, GDPR was supposed to give control over to the user with one of the fundamental principles being opt in not opt out, it was also the aim to make it clear and simple to the user this is essentially making it so painful that you just accept it and remain in therefore I would question if it is compliant but the IOC will have plenty of bigger complaints on their desk to look into,as these companies no doubt know.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I switched all NSC's ads to a new partner yesterday after the malicious redirects etc that some people reported over the weekend with our existing setup.

I've raised with them...

- Ad opt-in banner is too generic, so can be confused as being not genuine.
- Ad opt-in banner extends out of view on an iPad Mini.
- Ad opt-in / out does not have "Disable All" option to facilitate delivery of shitty generic ads.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
I switched all NSC's ads to a new partner yesterday after the malicious redirects etc that some people reported over the weekend with our existing setup.

I've raised with them...

- Ad opt-in banner is too generic, so can be confused as being not genuine.
- Ad opt-in banner extends out of view on an iPad Mini.
- Ad opt-in / out does not have "Disable All" option to facilitate delivery of shitty generic ads.

I don't want any offers from anyone, how do I turn them all off at the same time, otherwise it will take ages to do them all one by one.

And how do I opt out from the ones that say opt out required??

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Click “continue to site”. Until you do that, or “learn more” and set your ad preferences the banner will keep reappearing. It has to for GDPR rules.

You’ll not see it again once you click “continue to site”.

Cheers [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Howdy [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] had some ad from NSC try to get me to download some sort of malware. Was using Firefox as Chrome on OSX doesn't like the new ad provider and only had 3 NSC tabs open when suddenly it is trying to get me to download a fake flash .dmg, Screenshot attached. It's 100% vanilla install of Firefox that I have only used recently for NSC.

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 22.35.33.png

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here