Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] 'Litter picking in progress'

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That was the sign at the Findon roundabout of the A24, on the way to Saturdays match.
The verge was being cleared up to Windlesham school and I counted 9 full sacks of rubbish.

The reason for being even duller than usual was the day before I'd noticed just how disgusting the verge was going up Arundel Hill on my bike ride.

There was almost a constant line of McDonald's, Costa cups and empty energy drink cans.
Not to mention one black bag of household rubbish that had been ripped open.

Come on people sort it out, take your shit home and let the people you pay to dispose of your rubbish do it for you.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I was in Australia recently and noticed how clean the country is. I even noticed someone drop a chocolate bar wrapper and someone else ran up to the person and aggressively gave it back to them and told them to bin it. We need more attitudes like that - and pride of our own country!

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I and most people I know would confront litter droppers on foot but not as easy when it's thrown out of a car unless you have dashcam but the police get so many dashcam videos sent in they won't follow it up. Could shame on YouTubes though.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
I couldn’t agree more.

While we’re at it, what is it about fag butts that make some (/most) smokers think they are in some way not litter?

I’d like to think that the majority of smokers wouldn’t just throw, say, a crisp packet out of their car window, or onto the pavement as they walk along, so why fag butts?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I couldn’t agree more.

While we’re at it, what is it about fag butts that make some (/most) smokers think they are in some way not litter?

I’d like to think that the majority of smokers wouldn’t just throw, say, a crisp packet out of their car window, or onto the pavement as they walk along, so why fag butts?

That's the one which annoys me most. On more than one occasion recently I've been hit or nearly hit by a fag butt being blindly disposed by someone whilst I was out for a run. It's litter in exactly the same way as all other litter. In fact it's worse than most litter because it's usually on fire.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The road-side rubbish only comes from one source-motor vehicles.Time to add a surcharge to vehicle insurance to pay for the clean up.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
That's the one which annoys me most. On more than one occasion recently I've been hit or nearly hit by a fag butt being blindly disposed by someone whilst I was out for a run. It's litter in exactly the same way as all other litter. In fact it's worse than most litter because it's usually on fire.

When my husband had a motorbike, a car driver threw a fag end out of his window which landed in his lap. There was a roundabout a mile further down the road, where they both had to wait, so he pulled alongside and threw it back. Fortunately he was wearing leathers so didn't get burned.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Just to be controversial here - in my opinion, a fag butt is pretty inoffensive when compared to other litter. It is small and biodegradable. I am not a smoker.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I was in Australia recently and noticed how clean the country is. I even noticed someone drop a chocolate bar wrapper and someone else ran up to the person and aggressively gave it back to them and told them to bin it. We need more attitudes like that - and pride of our own country!

I agree but they are the type of mongtard who wouldn't take too kindly to being told off and would see it as an excuse to get lairy. That so much is junk food and energy drink (standard chav stuff) tells you all you need to know.

el punal

All well and good, but try chasing a car full of tw*ts at one o'clock in the morning who decide to chuck all their MacShit crap out of the window. I sincerely hope that people who do that sort of thing end up suffering from eternal diarrhoea.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Just to be controversial here - in my opinion, a fag butt is pretty inoffensive when compared to other litter. It is small and biodegradable. I am not a smoker.

Small, but discarded in their millions every day, so they build up very quickly.

Unless you’re talking about a roll-up with a bit of rizla packet at the end, the butts are made from something that takes years to break down.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Could of done with it at the weekend, anyone notice the crisp packets and red stuff scattered over the pitch? Made me laugh Mike Dean kept walking past an empty crisp packet pretending it wasnt there, why not just pick it up? Could obstruct play no? Eh Im just moaning.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I find them pretty disgusting, especially when there's hundreds of them discarded in one spot. As [MENTION=14054]MJsGhost[/MENTION] says, they're not biodegradable either.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That was the sign at the Findon roundabout of the A24, on the way to Saturdays match.
The verge was being cleared up to Windlesham school and I counted 9 full sacks of rubbish.

The reason for being even duller than usual was the day before I'd noticed just how disgusting the verge was going up Arundel Hill on my bike ride.

There was almost a constant line of McDonald's, Costa cups and empty energy drink cans.
Not to mention one black bag of household rubbish that had been ripped open.

Come on people sort it out, take your shit home and let the people you pay to dispose of your rubbish do it for you.

You mention McDonalds. In recent bike rides in the Brighton area such at the seafront Hove to Shoreham and also Dyke Road Avenue, I noticed that the gutters have endless littered McDonalds fries cups and and drinks cups. The red 'M' standing out. No doubt lobbed out of cars by scum when finished.

What's the thought process of people that do this?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
My daughter went on a trip to Switzerland when she was 12. They were all warned about the very strict litter rules. Not only do you get fined for dropping litter, but if you walk past someone else's litter, without picking it up to bin it, you will get fined as well.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Littering is wrong and shouldn't be done but I do think that the number of bins you see in the street has reduced massively since I was a kid. You always used to see a bench and a bin at bus stops and things like that but it doesn't seem to happen anymore. If I remember rightly, they started to be removed due to fears of bombs being left in them.

More bins should encourage people to dispose of their rubbish responsibly.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
My daughter went on a trip to Switzerland when she was 12. They were all warned about the very strict litter rules. Not only do you get fined for dropping litter, but if you walk past someone else's litter, without picking it up to bin it, you will get fined as well.

We don't even have enough police officers to investigate serious crimes properly any more so I can't see that working here. Good old "austerity".

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...iling-to-record-thousands-of-crimes-including

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
We don't even have enough police officers to investigate serious crimes properly any more so I can't see that working here. Good old "austerity".

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...iling-to-record-thousands-of-crimes-including

Somewhere in Kent, they employed a private firm who were as bad, if not worse, than traffic wardens. They were issuing fines to people who accidentally dropped something, and hadn't given them a chance to pick it up.
The firm was binned off.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham

I love that idea.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here