Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Day trip to London - Help

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
I was heading into Brighton tomorrow under the impression the festival was still on, but it isn't.
So might head up to London.

There's another Walking Quiz available for Bond Street, but I'm not sure the kids are up for an almost identical day out to the last.
Although I'm sure they'd be happy enough to end up in Covent Garden again.

As is customary oh wise old NSC any suggestions would be greatly appreciated naturally the cheaper the better.

Kemptown Carnival Saturday June 2nd.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Shard......champagne bar
Afternoon tea at a traditional hotel like Claridges or the Ritz (Fortnum and Mason also fantastic)
20 mile run along the Thames Path [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Another vote for the bar in the Shard.

Roof garden on the walkie talkie meant to be good. Not made it there yet though. Free but need to book.

I work on the office floor immediately below the Sky Garden - in fact my family popped in today and we walked up the stair case there - I would recommend it over the Shard. a) SkyGarden is free, the Shard is expensive and b) the difference in view is negligible. The Champagne Bar and Brasserie are both pretty decent too if that's your thing, and there's a lot more space than the Shard offers.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I work on the office floor immediately below the Sky Garden - in fact my family popped in today and we walked up the stair case there - I would recommend it over the Shard. a) SkyGarden is free, the Shard is expensive and b) the difference in view is negligible. The Champagne Bar and Brasserie are both pretty decent too if that's your thing, and there's a lot more space than the Shard offers.
Yep, went there recently, very nice place. Worth prebooking to get in as queue can be large.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I remember you posting some images from the Walkie Talkie!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Hmmmm... The Sky Garden has some advantages over The Shard, but the view isn't one of them. The latter gives proper 360 degree views and is obv much higher.

Also, it might be free but you have to book in advance, so you don't know conditions or if the outdoor terrace will be open.

That's one advantage of the (also free) Garden at 120, where you can just rock up - although the views aren't nearly as good. https://thegardenat120.com/#content/page/gardencapacity_ipsos

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hmmmm... The Sky Garden has some advantages over The Shard, but the view isn't one of them. The latter gives 360 degree views and is obv much higher.

Also, it might be free but you have to book in advance, so you don't know conditions or if the outdoor terrace will be open.

That's one advantage of the (also free) Garden at 120, where you can just rock up - although the views aren't nearly as good. https://thegardenat120.com/#content/page/gardencapacity_ipsos

Sky Garden is 360 too ? Can walk all the way round it. Good point re the terrace, was shut when we went due to ‘bad weather’ (essentially a bit of drizzle 4 hours earlier)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Sky Garden is 360 too ?

Yes, but not in an unhindered, nose-against the-window way.

And the view at the back is straight into other tall buildings, whereas The Shard is above EVERYTHING.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent

Definitely getting that ticked off over the summer.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Those coming up from Brighton, don't need to venture into the centre of town.

Northcote Road (a few mins from Clapham Junction) is basically Kings Road "lite", a long shopping road with independent shops, restaurants and bars.

If you do go into the West End, don't bother eating up there. Pop down to Northcote Road before you go home.

My favourite pub is the Draft House, tiny place just snapped up by Brewdog - but kept the same.

https://www.drafthouse.co.uk/locations/northcote

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Those coming up from Brighton, don't need to venture into the centre of town.

Northcote Road (a few mins from Clapham Junction) is basically Kings Road "lite", a long shopping road with independent shops, restaurants and bars.

If you do go into the West End, don't bother eating up there. Pop down to Northcote Road before you go home.

My favourite pub is the Draft House, tiny place just snapped up by Brewdog - but kept the same.

https://www.drafthouse.co.uk/locations/northcote

Quoting myself, went for a long walk today across Wandsworth common and ended up for a couple in the Draft House.

Northcote Road seems to surviving the death of the high street.

The traffic is controlled, so can sit outside the numerous bars and restaurants without taking a lung full of car unlike Clapham and Balham.

It really is a nice place to visit, particularly over the weekend on the way back to Brighton.

I eat/drink up there most weekends.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We went to The Imperial War Museum, it was well laid out and nowhere near as stuffy as it could have been.

The Robert Cappa D-Day exhibit was superbly minimalist.
Which was a stark contrast to The Holocaust exhibit, as that was equally compelling (sorry I don't know the correct word) but was rammed full of detail.

We followed that with a walk from Covent Garden to Green Park.
All very agreeable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here