Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kudos to our recruitment team

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
I think our transfer dealings in the summer could unfortunately be dictated by who goes out the door. Dunk and Stephens could be difficult to keep hold of.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
They have done a great job, I think we will look for more pace up front and an extra central midfielder also fullbacks could be brought in for competition and we may need to resolve a goalkeeping crisis with Krul & Maenpaa both out of contract this summer

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
The only bad signing was Elvis Manu and before that was Toko Nzuzi ( something like that a few years ago.) and the on loan player from Arsenal ,Akpom was terrible and he will end up in non league football.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
So, how many of Saturdays starting eleven also started at Villa on 7th May 2017?

Dunk, Knockaert, Stephens & Murray.
Bong & March on the bench.
Duffy was injured still I think and Goldson out.

That's seven new signings and one returned to finish off the job.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I think our transfer dealings in the summer could unfortunately be dictated by who goes out the door. Dunk and Stephens could be difficult to keep hold of.

Have you not noticed that Tony doesn't sell players he wants to keep regardless of money.:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
The only bad signing was Elvis Manu and before that was Toko Nzuzi ( something like that a few years ago.) and the on loan player from Arsenal ,Akpom was terrible and he will end up in non league football.

Also that Spanish striker who cost nearly a million i think. Can't think of his name.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
David Rodriguez. Adrian Colunga, most of the signings for the stiffs - Bergkamp, the Finnish lad, et al

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
David Rodriguez. Adrian Colunga, most of the signings for the stiffs - Bergkamp, the Finnish lad, et al

Colunga that's him. You don't spend nearly a million on a player for the stiffs - sorry

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
Nah Colunga played, he was okay when I saw him in a few matches - about a par with Baldock, so nothing world beating. Rodriguez though was toilet.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Have you not noticed that Tony doesn't sell players he wants to keep regardless of money.:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I have noticed that. And all credit to him for it. But the sums involved were less significant. It will be harder if 20m+ offer comes in for a player who may express a wish to leave.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have noticed that. And all credit to him for it. But the sums involved were less significant. It will be harder if 20m+ offer comes in for a player who may express a wish to leave.

Why leave, sure Dunk could be lured by a place within a Championship League squad, but even then he'll still be a considerably smaller fish in a massive pond.

As for the others the best they could aspire to would be the likes of (as I think it was [MENTION=18774]Rugrat[/MENTION] said) Everton, begging the question, 'why bother'?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This thread is a tad triumphal and smug for my tastes. 31 points is hardly home and dry.

Suspect the tone will change somewhat after the top six spankings yet to come.

That is right up my Strada but, to me at least, this all feels a bit different now.
The incredibly slow progression of these players into one team makes me think another schlacking or two isn't going to phase them.
The effort it took to get where they are with just H&M up front has built some really strong foundations which aren't going to crumble when it gets rough.

They have a plan, they trust the plan and the plan is working, what's not to love.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
This thread is a tad triumphal and smug for my tastes. 31 points is hardly home and dry.

Suspect the tone will change somewhat after the top six spankings yet to come.

Not from my pov. It's an observation about the high success rate of the recruitment team. Long way to go but newbies all settled in and team spirit holding up. A consequence of which are the results we have seen recently. As stat says, a plan working.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Recruitment

Simple one - has this club ever recruited as consistently well as we do now? Since the Amex was built, we've had one crap season in, what, seven? Gradually improving until promotion was secure, and now that we are in the top division we have a squad that is probably the envy of 13 of the top flight division. By which I mean, we've got truly excellent cover in almost every position, it is a true "squad", as opposed to a quality first XI and weak (ish) second string (Spurs) or a one man joke outfit (Palace).

I'm not saying it's been done on a shoestring, as clearly it hasn't, but there is competition everywhere and no ridiculously high earners to inevitably upset the applecart. We should also say that the club have been acutely aware of the holes in the squad. Look at the forward line, looked a bit vulnerable in January but the club bided their time and brought in Ulloa and Locadia. The recruitment team haven't been afforded nearly enough praise for those two pieces of business. They've both scored but also have meant Murray has had to raise the bar to keep his place and he has reacted magnificently.

If we can stay up, it will be a triumph of excellent man management and superb recruitment. I'll also go so far as to say that this club will become a magnet to hungry up and coming players, simply because we do things properly here.

It's time to say it properly, if Hughton is a legend in these parts (and he is), then these guys are absolutely not far behind him.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm sure I read on here that the recruitment was a shambles (along the lines of 'why have they been sat around doing nothing since the summer?' in January), Hughton was out of his depth and should go, Barber should be held accountable for not getting the right players (positions and quantity) and that relegation was guaranteed.

So it's a 'no' from me :dunce:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Good point Greg. I was forgetting it only takes two minutes to negotiate a £17m deal with a regular Champions League and domestic title winning club. What were they doing for the rest of the months they had?

And obviously Hughton is clueless and doesn't know what he's doing which is why Liverpool and Chelsea smashed us comprehensively.

:clap2: :clap2:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here