Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Look up the table not down

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Brighton are now clearly Premier League ready - okay its taken most of the season to get there but remember we started the campaign with Hemed and Murphy as our main attacking options - no offence to either .

Just look at some of the teams above us. We are clearly better than Watford , Bournemouth, Everton and Burnley . We stand a decent chance of being above 2 or 3 of these teams come the season end .

We 're good in a crisis , we 're playing our best football at the best time to do so and we'll play all the top teams at the end of the season when they ve other things on their mind .Next week Arsenal who are probably going to be depressed having lost to Man City and tired as they have a mid week game . So we can beat them - why not ?

So stop the talk of relegation and start thinking about whether we are going to finish 8th , 9th , 10th or 11th . Because we 're good enough and quite frankly there seem to be a lot of boring teams in this league .

Well done to all at the club - what a fantastic first season in the Premier league this is going to be .

WGull

Jan 27, 2017
No we are in a relegation fight and it would be stupid to assume we are safe. Don’t get me wrong I have confidence that we can survive but our run is very tough and we can’t just look at the teams above us

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
First, yes, you're right, although of course we're concerned that 8 of our last 10 are against teams above us in the league.

What I will say is that I have seen many Brighton relegations, and all of them have been teams that were rubbish and deserved to go down. I've seen several great escapes as well, and those were also pretty poor teams.

This team is pretty good, with many standout performers, a great team spirit, playing well and well-managed. Any other season this team would be nowhere near relegation. It just shows the difficulty of the premier league, nothing more nothing less. But I know we have it in us to stay up.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Bit premature IMHO. We are 4 pts clear with 10 games left, that is far from safe and 'looking up the table'. A couple of losses to better teams and it all changes. Newcastle went down five places letting in that equaliser today. Staying up even on GD would be cause for celebration in my book.

The team have done fantastically well this season and as we all know a lot of points have been left out there, especially at home with the draws. But let's get the 9/10 points and then start patting ourselves on the back for a great season.

Where I agree with you is that we want to bring as many teams as possible into it, and put as many as possible between us and the bottom three. Because they can't all win all the time, and there is insurance in numbers.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Just take it one game at a time. No need to change our perspective after one game, win or lose.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Brighton are now clearly Premier League ready - okay its taken most of the season to get there but remember we started the campaign with Hemed and Murphy as our main attacking options - no offence to either .

Just look at some of the teams above us. We are clearly better than Watford , Bournemouth, Everton and Burnley . We stand a decent chance of being above 2 or 3 of these teams come the season end .

We 're good in a crisis , we 're playing our best football at the best time to do so and we'll play all the top teams at the end of the season when they ve other things on their mind .Next week Arsenal who are probably going to be depressed having lost to Man City and tired as they have a mid week game . So we can beat them - why not ?

So stop the talk of relegation and start thinking about whether we are going to finish 8th , 9th , 10th or 11th . Because we 're good enough and quite frankly there seem to be a lot of boring teams in this league .

Well done to all at the club - what a fantastic first season in the Premier league this is going to be .

This is great, positivity.
Concentrate on what we can do, and sod the rest, it's in our hands.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
We have won THREE points off the top 10. We have two games left against the bottom 11 teams.

Be lucky to get 39 points IMO.

- 6 points off remaining home games.
- 2 points off remaining away games

39 points should be okay as long as we don’t get spanked away to Liverpool and city. Beating arsenal should all but seal it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We have won THREE points off the top 10. We have two games left against the bottom 11 teams.

39 points should be okay as long as we don’t get spanked away to Liverpool and city. Beating arsenal should all but seal it.

It's certainly a concern - but maybe time to ditch the inferiority complex against the top six and pick up some points. Imagine the bonus of 'doing a Swansea' against Arsenal on Sunday?

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Why are you so negative ? Did you see the game today ? Have you seen the other highlights ? we ve improved massively . Relegation is just not an issue . There are too many teams below us playing badly . Relegation is simply not going to happen . Get over it

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Last five are
Man City A (probably when moved)
Spurs H
Burnley A
Man Utd H
Liverpool A
I'd say 10 points clear prior to these games is when I may think we can do it.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
But we we a bit sh*t then - in the other relegation battles . We 're not now . This is the best ever Brighton team by a country mile . Great team spirit and great management as you say . I did think we might be in the bottom three now with a two or three point deficit to make up at the start of the season . However thats not the case and others have faltered badly despite having great squads . Chris Hughton deserves as much praise as we can give him . Despite the early season cautiousness we now seem to have an attack and hes using it well .

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I genuinely think we can win the next game, if we do THEN maybe we can start thinking about a top ten finish but not before. Great result today but let's not get carried away, we could still go down.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

39 points should be okay as long as we don’t get spanked away to Liverpool and city. Beating arsenal should all but seal it

A month ago I would have said the same and indeed did so on another thread. Was critical of negativity against top 6. But different ball game now; think we are at least 50:50 next week to beat Arsenal.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
This is great, positivity.
Concentrate on what we can do, and sod the rest, it's in our hands.

Exactly and we played today the way I had always dreamed we might. Let's pat ourselves on the back for achieving a good win today and go on to the next game with confidence.

afcb

Dec 14, 2007

Yep, your results against us this season and the league table show without doubt you are better than us.

Obviously you can prove the same against Everton in a few weeks....I wonder if Hughton would go there ? You see this is the problem, if he keeps you up he's fair game.

Best of luck

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

Sound advise. Never look down.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Looking up the table what I see is gaps opening - teams are putting space between them. There's five points between 11th. and relegation. There's 23 points between 2nd. and 10th. Nobody from the bottom half is likely to be climbing very far up into the top ten.
This is not negativity - I'm very happy with where we are, and I'm starting to feel reasonably hopeful that we won't be relegated this season. Chickens, however, are not yet available for counting!

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London

I agree.
European spot?
I fancy Barcelona in September...

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Yep, your results against us this season and the league table show without doubt you are better than us.

Obviously you can prove the same against Everton in a few weeks....I wonder if Hughton would go there ? You see this is the problem, if he keeps you up he's fair game.

Best of luck

AFCB
Are you Accrington or Villa?

Ripon Gull

Feb 9, 2012
Six more points should do it. We still have to play Palace, Leicester, Burnley and Huddersfield and I reckon we'll pick up a point or two from the top six, so surely six more points is achievable. I said at the start of the season that we can do this. I've never strayed from that view. Incidentally any talk of Hughton moving on to another club is absolute bullshit.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here