Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Baggies are NOT doomed!

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
....even if they lose at home to Huddersfield today.

In their "Great Escape" season of 2014/15, Leicester were on 19 points from 29 matches - seven behind 17th-placed Sunderland who had played a game more (30).

The Foxes blew away a few "on the beach" teams to finish 14th and, as nearly all football fans know, shocked the world 12 months later by parading the Premier League crown.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
....even if they lose at home to Huddersfield today.

In their "Great Escape" season of 2014/15, Leicester were on 19 points from 29 matches - seven behind 17th-placed Sunderland who had played a game more (30).

The Foxes blew away a few "on the beach" teams to finish 14th and, as nearly all football fans know, shocked the world 12 months later by parading the Premier League crown.

Just what are you trying to do to us?

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
I've just come back from BetFred (Southampton, Bournemouth, Leicester treble today) and also put £10 on Burnley to be relegated at 250/1.

I remember the 2014/15 season when Newcastle went into freefall around Christmas time and JUST about survived relegation on the final day.

With our injury crisis (7 first-choice starters out), we'll find it hard to pick up another 4/5 points.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I hope you are right because that means the will take points off other relegation candidates which will help us; however, when things start to go wrong off the pitch then you know that things aint right at the club..

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I've just come back from BetFred (Southampton, Bournemouth, Leicester treble today) and also put £10 on Burnley to be relegated at 250/1.

I remember the 2014/15 season when Newcastle went into freefall around Christmas time and JUST about survived relegation on the final day.

With our injury crisis (7 first-choice starters out), we'll find it hard to pick up another 4/5 points.

Hope you win your bet.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

I think you worry a little too much and trying to give us all a confidence boost.

That said, nothing against Burnley but if you want to fill a relegation spot intead of us much obliged. I think that is as likely as me winning the euromillions jackpot though, which I already didn't win. You need 2 points I reckon which I fully expect you to get with more to spare.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We need WBA to beat Huddersfield today, to keep them still in the mix, and their disinterested taxi stealers still 'interested' in staying up.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Hope you win your bet.

Thanks - I also had a £20 bet at the start of the season (when bookies had us down as relegation favourites along with the Seagulls, Huddersfield and Watford),

The £20 at 5/2 was for Burnley to finish above all three promoted sides (Newcastle, Brighton, Huddersfield plus my pet hate Bournemouth).

Things were looking good until our recent spate of bad injuries, but now I think smug Eddie will definitely finish above us. We play the Cherries at home on the last day of the season.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.

You may already have enough points. Albion fans would be happy if you pick up another 3 today and that would mean you would need a massive slice of misfortune not to be playing in the premier league next season.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I suspect you're as good as safe by now anyway, but you may as well make sure you beat our remaining relegation rivals and then you can start thinking about the beach in time for our trip round your parts.
And if you're a betting man, I'll take you up on 40 points will be ample for survival.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Nobody's doomed yet - and nobody will be doomed following today's results. The way things are going this season we could easily get to the last two or three games before that dreaded 'R' appears next to anybody.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Nobody's doomed yet - and nobody will be doomed following today's results. The way things are going this season we could easily get to the last two or three games before that dreaded 'R' appears next to anybody.

Well said.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
I suspect you're as good as safe by now anyway, but you may as well make sure you beat our remaining relegation rivals and then you can start thinking about the beach in time for our trip round your parts.
And if you're a betting man, I'll take you up on 40 points will be ample for survival.

I see your point but I don't think any Sean Dyche side will "be on the beach" - Murray getting Tarkowski retrospectively banned at The Amex will be all the motivation Dyche and his players need. As for Bournemouth at home on the final day, just two words (Eddie Howe):)

And the final away match at Arsenal? In the last three meetings against Arsenal, we have THREE times been "cheated" out of a point by referees with stoppage-time decisions in favour of the Gunners. On top of that, the motivation will be that if we get a draw or win at Arsenal, we will be the only team to take points off ALL the "Big Six" this season.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I see your point but I don't think any Sean Dyche side will "be on the beach" - Murray getting Tarkowski retrospectively banned at The Amex will be all the motivation Dyche and his players need. As for Bournemouth at home on the final day, just two words (Eddie Howe):.

My reading of that incident was that Tarkowski got himself retrospectively banned, and that the referee should have sent him off and awarded us a(nother) penalty but hey ho. Whether we would have scored from that or taken advantage of an extra player for 45+ minutes is a different question.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here