Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Taskmaster 4 new series commissioned

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Yep I watch on the same youtube channel as you abroad then. One to go of season 7 for me and was just literally watching today's offering while flicking around on NSC :D

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Personally I'm bored to years with endless panel games. I wish all these talented comedians would spend more time making more comedy shows, the kind that gave them the status to end up on perpetual panel circuits. I used to feel the same about the endless nostalgia programmes and wondered what would be endlessly reviewed in the future, as our comedy output was reduced to comments on how funny Dad's Army was or how chewie toffoes were.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I am now through episode 9 (just posted today on YouTube) of the 7th season. I don’t want Rhod and Acaster out of my life when episode 10 posts next Thursday. I’ve loved several of the seasons but this one is special to me. Can’t wait to catch up on the following seasons. I’m going to now have to go back and listen to the Acaster Christmas special podcast with Greg Davies as they referred to taskmaster a bunch and I didn’t understand some of it.

The rages that Gilbert sent Acaster into were an absolute joy. I accidentally caught an episode of that series starting last night and had to watch the whole thing. Phil Wang was the least funny contestant in that series and would have challenged Tarbuck as the funniest in Series 6.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Personally I'm bored to years with endless panel games. I wish all these talented comedians would spend more time making more comedy shows, the kind that gave them the status to end up on perpetual panel circuits. I used to feel the same about the endless nostalgia programmes and wondered what would be endlessly reviewed in the future, as our comedy output was reduced to comments on how funny Dad's Army was or how chewie toffoes were.

I don't think of TM as a panel show. Its a game show being played among friends. It's the nearest TV comes to the kind of stupid arguments and pointless competitions that have given me some of the funniest times I've had with long term friends. When everyone knows how to playfully push each other's buttons, but yet can still be surprised by and enjoy each other, life can be at it's richest. When it's good, TM is one of the few TV programmes that has ever come close to that joy for me.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Seen a few of these but the celeb special with Rylan and the Channel 4 news guy tonight was comedy gold. Heard Rylan will be a permanent member next series which will bump up the ratings.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Seen a few of these but the celeb special with Rylan and the Channel 4 news guy tonight was comedy gold. Heard Rylan will be a permanent member next series which will bump up the ratings.

It's a shame this 5 weren't doing a full series. I think the next series is already filmed so Rylan may be on the one after. It is one of the funniest things on these days.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just discovered this show - 10 seasons of it on Sky catch up. Very easy background telly. How good each season is is dictated in large part by how funny the people on it are (obviously).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just discovered this show - 10 seasons of it on Sky catch up. Very easy background telly. How good each season is is dictated in large part by how funny the people on it are (obviously).

Naturally it's all on 4OD as well.

Unsurprisingly, for me at least, Mark Watson, Nish Kumar, Ashling Bea, Sally Phillips and Bob Mortimer is THE series.

That said no series or even show has failed to produce TV gold.

The outtakes on YouTube are equally enjoyable.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Naturally it's all on 4OD as well.

Unsurprisingly, for me at least, Mark Watson, Nish Kumar, Ashling Bea, thingy, and Bob Mortimer is THE series.

That said no series or even show has failed to produce TV gold.

The outtakes on YouTube are equally enjoyable.

On that series now and enjoying it, slightly despite Nish...

Really enjoyed season 1 with Frank Skinner and Tim Key.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On that series now and enjoying it, slightly despite Nish...

Really enjoyed season 1 with Frank Skinner and Tim Key.

There's certainly no wrong answers

Jul 7, 2003
Really enjoyed the special last night - they were a really good mix.

The great thing with Taskmaster is that it is not always the people you expect who product the best entertainment - for example, Liza Tarbuck.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Taskmaster Podcast which ran in conjunction with the last series has now gone back to the beginning.

Watch Series 1 Ep 1 then tune in.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
This is like watching an opposition sub run on at the Amex...

Charlotte Ritchie plays the owner of the house in Ghosts, the sitcom from the Horrible Histories alumni. She was also in 'Fresh Meat'.
Jamali Maddix is an intelligent stand up who's done a bit of podcasting and a well received documentary. I think he's been on Live At The Apollo.
Lee Mack I guess you've heard of. I can't stand his sitcom, but he is quick and witty as a stand up and panel show regular and is likely to have a competitive streak that is often good for TM. I'd expect him to be good.
Mike Wozniak is in 'Man Down' with Greg Davies, so they may have a bit of rapport. I saw him recently on RHLSTP and he was very funny, self deprecating and a little odd, in a charming way.
Sarah Kendall I have seen doing Stand Up on things like 'Edinburgh & Beyond.' She's also in 'Clare in The Community', a sitcom that's had an un-explainably long run on Radio 4 . She's an Aussie, so if national stereotypes stand up, may also be entertainingly competitive.

I'm pleased to see that it's another TM cast that looks to have been chosen with heavy Alex Horne influence. My main concern for the move to Channel 4 was a risk of executives looking to book names over people who Horne and the other programme makers know will suit the format. I'm guessing that the Christmas Special may have been a compromise to allow the freedom to book who they wanted on the next series.

They are also doing a second 'Champion of Champions' special featuring the winners of Series 6-10, Richard Herring, Liza Tarbuck, Ed Gamble, Kerry Godliman & Lou Sanders.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Charlotte Ritchie plays the owner of the house in Ghosts, the sitcom from the Horrible Histories alumni. She was also in 'Fresh Meat'.
Jamali Maddix is an intelligent stand up who's done a bit of podcasting and a well received documentary. I think he's been on Live At The Apollo.
Lee Mack I guess you've heard of. I can't stand his sitcom, but he is quick and witty as a stand up and panel show regular and is likely to have a competitive streak that is often good for TM. I'd expect him to be good.
Mike Wozniak is in 'Man Down' with Greg Davies, so they may have a bit of rapport. I saw him recently on RHLSTP and he was very funny, self deprecating and a little odd, in a charming way.
Sarah Kendall I have seen doing Stand Up on things like 'Edinburgh & Beyond.' She's also in 'Clare in The Community', a sitcom that's had an un-explainably long run on Radio 4 . She's an Aussie, so if national stereotypes stand up, may also be entertainingly competitive.

I'm pleased to see that it's another TM cast that looks to have been chosen with heavy Alex Horne influence. My main concern for the move to Channel 4 was a risk of executives looking to book names over people who Horne and the other programme makers know will suit the format. I'm guessing that the Christmas Special may have been a compromise to allow the freedom to book who they wanted on the next series.

They are also doing a second 'Champion of Champions' special featuring the winners of Series 6-10, Richard Herring, Liza Tarbuck, Ed Gamble, Kerry Godliman & Lou Sanders.

Channel 4 can't do that.
It's still very much an Alex Horne/Avalon production, they have no say on the template of the show.

I didn't realise that not only has the show been sold around the world, but so has the format.
There's now loads of Gregg and Little Alex's dotted around the planet.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

*insert Alan Partridge shrug gif*

(Thanks really).

Surely we should be having a discussion as to everyone's ideal 5?

I know Matt Lucas would be in mine, I'd have to have a think on the other 4.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Richard Ayoade
David Mitchell
Victoria Coren Mitchell
Sue Perkins
Alex Brooker

The Mitchells as the two person team because it would genuinely be fascinating watching a married couple do it

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
*insert Alan Partridge shrug gif*

(Thanks really).

I know Matt Lucas would be in mine, I'd have to have a think on the other 4.

Me and the kids have had this discussion often. The two top of my list Johnny Vegas and Bob Mortimer have already done it. Of those who haven't I'd like to see Bridget Christie, who does outraged and baffled very well, Josie Long or Adam Buxton who would both excel/confuse in the creative/artistic tasks which sadly seem to have been reduced in the last series. Tez Ilyaz who is a very funny stand up and plays a brilliant Father Dougal type idiot in Guz Khan's sitcom. Perhaps Jack Dee, as I remember him taking a very anarchic and subversive approach to his charity appearance on the first Celebrity Big Brother. Finally, he's lesser known, but I'd love to see Marek Larwood, who was in 'We Are Klang' with Greg Davies and I believe is one of his best friends. I used to love the way they would deliberately hang each other out to dry in their live shows together.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here