Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 60 years ago today: Duncan Edwards succumbs to his injuries

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Had he lived the 1966 World Cup Final wouldn't have gone to extra-time, with Edwards we'd have stuffed the Krauts 5-0 in 90 minutes.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Had he lived the 1966 World Cup Final wouldn't have gone to extra-time, with Edwards we'd have stuffed the Krauts 5-0 in 90 minutes.
We might have done better at the '58 and '62 ones too - remember, Duncan Edwards wasn't the only England international we lost. Tommy Taylor was a brilliant 'old fashioned' centre forward, Roger Byrne was captain of United and lined up to succeed Billy Wright in the England job, and Mark Jones was on the fringes of the national team. Without googling, there might even have been others.

The think I find amazing is that Duncan Edwards survived for 15 days after the crash, and was frequently conscious. These days, you don't really expect a crash victim to die if the medical staff can get them conscious again - if you wake up, the expectation is that you'll live.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Possibly would have been a bigger legend than Moore and Beckham (although he was more a Gerrard). I think about him often. Unbelievable tragic loss. Hopefully we can show our respects when we beat United in the cup, shortly.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Amazing to think how football history as we know it could have been different for England and Man Utd

theboybilly

Sir Bobby Charlton's favourite player from his playing days. Edwards was a powerhouse that you just couldn't shake off the ball. As has been said England would have had at least 3 excellent World Cups with him in the side. United would have won the World Cup, not West Ham. Anybody who saw Duncan play live has my admiration.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I remember seeing him play,top,top quality

I remember a number of times/days where the BBC.reporters were at his bedside giving updates. I'm sure they spoke to him and he, in turn, responded and everybody was expecting him to recover. Could be my memory having a blip but I'm sure he left hospital briefly but then had to return? I was only 6 at the time.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
United would have won the World Cup, not West Ham. Anybody who saw Duncan play live has my admiration.

He would have made the team ahead of Jackie Charlton. 3 Manure & 3 West Ham.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He would have made the team ahead of Jackie Charlton. 3 Manure & 3 West Ham.

No certainty that the three West Ham would have made the team. Moore very probably, but the other two less probable (although many things might have moved on in an 8 year gap; Ramsey might not even have been the manager, for example).

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No certainty that the three West Ham would have made the team. Moore very probably, but the other two less probable (although many things might have moved on in an 8 year gap; Ramsey might not even have been the manager, for example).

I always thought the popular belief was that Moore wouldn’t have got near his 108 caps if Edwards had survived.

All very hypothetical of course.

Just would have been great to see him play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I always thought the popular belief was that Moore wouldn’t have got near his 108 caps if Edwards had survived.

All very hypothetical of course.

Just would have been great to see him play.

Not so sure about that, they played different positions, Edwards was a wing-half (midfielder) wasn't he? Moore was a class player - it would have taken a special talent to oust him.

Like most of here, I didn't see Edwards play but you'd have to think that a side with Banks, Moore, Edwards and Charlton in it (four players who'd have made a world XI in the 60s) would have won more than one World Cup.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
According to the late Jimmy Armfield, had Munich not happened we'd have won the World Cup in '58 and '62.

My Dad told me in great depth about the Munich crash and the aftermath it had on the whole country - when the news was announced on the radio about Edwards as a 16 year old he cried. He wasn't the only one.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I don't know if it's still online, but the 1 hr special 5live interview with Jimmy Armfield from a couple of years back is great, he talks a fair bit about Edwards.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sir Bobby Charlton says he was the greatest player he ever saw on a football pitch. And he's a man who has watched or played with / against virtually every single great player you can name in the last 60 years.

That, for me, is enough of a testament to his talent. A tragic loss.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not so sure about that, they played different positions, Edwards was a wing-half (midfielder) wasn't he? Moore was a class player - it would have taken a special talent to oust him.

Like most of here, I didn't see Edwards play but you'd have to think that a side with Banks, Moore, Edwards and Charlton in it (four players who'd have made a world XI in the 60s) would have won more than one World Cup.

Yes, though think it was Bobby Charlton, Jimmy Armfield or Don Howe that said it, so presumably the assumption was that given his build and apparent prowess in all positions, that could have been his best......

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, though think it was Bobby Charlton, Jimmy Armfield or Don Howe that said it, so presumably the assumption was that given his build and apparent prowess in all positions, that could have been his best......
Yes, he was a wing half, so therefore a midfielder. Of course, he might have moved back as he got older and more experienced. Having said he was a wing half, he was actually a left half, the number 6. I don't know how much teams were going for four at the back as early as 1958, but my memory from the 60s tells me that in the early days of four at the back it was usually the number 6 that lined up next to the centre half (number 5) - perhaps someone who was lucky enough to have seen him can tell us whether he was mainly a defensive or attacking midfielder?.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes, he was a wing half, so therefore a midfielder. Of course, he might have moved back as he got older and more experienced. Having said he was a wing half, he was actually a left half, the number 6. I don't know how much teams were going for four at the back as early as 1958, but my memory from the 60s tells me that in the early days of four at the back it was usually the number 6 that lined up next to the centre half (number 5) - perhaps someone who was lucky enough to have seen him can tell us whether he was mainly a defensive or attacking midfielder?.

Think he was everything and everywhere, just such a shame. Apparently after the crash in hospital, he’d said to Man Utd officials that he was struggling to be fit for the Saturday...... [emoji20]

What a loss

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here