Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Oh those Russians..

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Drug-free Russian tests positive for banned drug.

"An anti-doping case has been opened against Russian medal-winning curler Alexander Krushelnitsky, says the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas)."

"Russian athletes who could prove they are clean could compete under the OAR banner, with the team comprising 168 competitors - the third biggest behind Canada and the United States."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43109290

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I've got a sneaky suspicion that the B test will come back as OK, allowing Putin to cast doubt on the whole drug testing process, and feed into his poor victimized russians narative.

Or maybe I am just too suspicious of his playbook.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We all know Drugs are bad..but what drug can help you win in Curling ?? (not that its an excuse )

One what helps you concentrate, reducing the heart rate for example, bit like beater blockers for snooker players so they don't shake when nervous

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I know there are so many variables involved between Sochi and these games but I'd love to see the proportion of Russian medal winners/entrants compared to the last games.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I love this from the BBC report:

_______

Russian curling federation president Dmitry Svishchev confirmed to Reuters that the team's curlers had been tested on 22 January, before flying out to South Korea, and that the tests returned then were negative.

"I have known these guys for many years," Svishchev said. "Only a crazy person takes banned substances before a competition, before the Olympics.

_______

So, am I to assume that Svishchev is just suggesting that they shouldn't have got caught. What to do with the Russkies?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Once again I urge you all to watch Icarus (on NetFlix), even more so now it's been nominated for the best documentary Oscar.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
We all know Drugs are bad..but what drug can help you win in Curling ?? (not that its an excuse )

They're all stoned!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mind you, things are improving in Russia. Not so long back a new crusading " Man of the People " who campaigned for real democracy would be mysteriously gunned down.

Nowadays the FSB just plant something on a computer and inform the Police and voila! a minor corruption charge and all is well

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
One what helps you concentrate, reducing the heart rate for example, bit like beater blockers for snooker players so they don't shake when nervous

Beta. It's β. :lolol:

But you're right. I took one before giving a presentation many years ago and was so chlled I bored the audience into stupifaction (yes, OK, 'no change there, then'). Would help a great deal in curling. But, ironically, it would have the opposite effect on curling one out.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Beta. It's β. :lolol:

But you're right. I took one before giving a presentation many years ago and was so chlled I bored the audience into stupifaction (yes, OK, 'no change there, then'). Would help a great deal in curling. But, ironically, it would have the opposite effect on curling one out.

:facepalm:

Must remember to read the whole post before pressing enter

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I took some Immodium after having the sh1ts and 24 hours later I was curling off beautifully.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

It was meldonium, the same drug that Maria Sharapova tested positive for.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It was meldonium, the same drug that Maria Sharapova tested positive for.

Its wasn't a bad guess then something which effects the mind rather than the body as such

Dr Bassindale said: "It's advertised as giving a mental focus, removing external stress so you feel sharper. There is a slight central nervous system effect, like with stimulants such as caffeine, which gives you a sharper edge.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here