Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brendan Cox

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
I feel so sorry for what happened to him and his family as no one should have to go through such an awful thing. So it transpires that Mr Cox has Skeletons in his cupboard after all. He did the right thing by resigning from various charities now he's been exposed. I've noticed that those who have been so vocal in the condemnation of various ex Cabinet Ministers for their behaviour, have suddenly gone very quiet. I expect that there will be an outrage against the Daily Mail for printing the story.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'd imagine that people for all political spectrums and backgrounds will feel let down by him and disappointed in his actions. I understand he has admitted to one of the allegations and is suitably ashamed. It's always disappointing when figures in the spotlight let themselves down and let down those that may have trusted them. Should the Daily Mail have published? Yes, if he is making proclamations then it is in the public interest. Let's hope he finds redemption of some sort. Jonathan Aitken went through a similar process, albeit different circumstances.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Christ, yet another thread using 'unpleasant' news to have a pop at some imagined 'other side'.

larus

Sketelons just keep falling out of cupboards left right and centre, quite amazing.

And this, very succinctly put, is the reason why those who wish to use the actions of an individual to decry a whole group of people should really stop.

For example, those posters on the Brexit thread who chose to link the murderer of Jo Cox to the type of people who voted Brexit were totally crass. There are sick ****ers on all sides. Gay/Straight. Tory/Labour. Male/Female (although I think men are more likely to be perpetrators).

And yes, the silence is deafening in the condemnation from certain quarters.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
For example, those posters on the Brexit thread who chose to link the murderer of Jo Cox to the type of people who voted Brexit were totally crass.

It was perfectly legitimate to suggest that the atmosphere during that referendum created conditions where someone like Mair could think what he was doing was right.

And that's the reason I don't want another one. Another 6 weeks of the right-wing media becoming increasingly hysterical about brown people. No thanks.

As for Cox, he fits the stereotyped profile doesn't he? Powerful (within the contexts of the environments he was working in) white, man.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sketelons just keep falling out of cupboards left right and centre, quite amazing.

Yes and some people hold themselves to account, others just claim there's a witch hunt against them

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
The guy is pretty sick IMHO. His behaviour wasn't a secret- his resignation from Save The Children was reported in the press. In the industry it was pretty widely acknowledged that he was/is a wrong'un. It's hard not to be cynical about his reasons for behaving the way he has since Jo's death- would have been far more respectful just to shut the **** up and get on with his life.

larus

It was perfectly legitimate to suggest that the atmosphere during that referendum created conditions where someone like Mair could think what he was doing was right.

And that's the reason I don't want another one. Another 6 weeks of the right-wing media becoming increasingly hysterical about brown people. No thanks.

As for Cox, he fits the stereotyped profile doesn't he? Powerful (within the contexts of the environments he was working in) white, man.

Wow, that’s taking a political view to the ****ing extreme. There is no way, 100% not, that what was discussed should possibly be used to link the actions of one sick individual to the Brexit campaign. You say about Brown people, but WTF do ‘Brown People’ have to do with leaving the EU - a club of Caucasian countries?

Tell me, if someone had killed say John Redwood because he was supporting Brexit, would you have said that’s the fault of the Remain campaign?

Making assertions like yours is the root of problems - if we can’t debate without crass accusations like your being made, then that undermines democracy.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Wow, that’s taking a political view to the ****ing extreme. There is no way, 100% not, that what was discussed should possibly be used to link the actions of one sick individual to the Brexit campaign. You say about Brown people, but WTF do ‘Brown People’ have to do with leaving the EU - a club of Caucasian countries?

Tell me, if someone had killed say John Redwood because he was supporting Brexit, would you have said that’s the fault of the Remain campaign?

Making assertions like yours is the root of problems - if we can’t debate without crass accusations like your being made, then that undermines democracy.
I wasn't even blaming the leave campaign. I said 'the referendum.'

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So you didn’t say anything about Right-Wing Media and Brown People. Right, got it.

The second paragraph is about why I personally don't want another referendum.

To clarify, the overall assertion is that the referendum created an atmosphere in this country where a person with extreme views could have murdered a politician and thought they were doing the right thing. And yes, if it had been a leading member of the leave campaign I would have been thinking the same thing.

On a more micro level, I remember two people I know being in a state and making themselves ill because they didn't know what vote for. I had to tell both of them it wasn't THAT important. The press on both sides would have you believe it was a matter of life and death. I've never known an atmosphere like it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here