Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Basketball v Skeleton Bobsleigh

Basketball or Skeleton Bobsleigh - Wheres should The UK Sport Money Go?

• Skeleton Bobsleigh

Votes: 44 72.1%
  • Basketball

Votes: 17 27.9%

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Team GB wins a bronze medal today in a 'sport' that can only be described as 'what a load of bollox' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43080576

Meanwhile in a proper sport played by 100,000s of fellow Britions regularly, Basketball gets nothing from UK Sport because our male and female teams are deemed to be not medal prospects in it at the Olympics - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/basketball/43086547

How is this right? A youth crime/knife crime epidemic across our United Kingdom in our inner cities and urban areas (aka Broken Britain) but millions get put at Lizzie Yarnold from Kent, to sacrifice 6 months of her time in the French Alps, to win Team GB a Gold medal in some bull*hit sport nobody does, that has more airtime about the suits they're wearing than the breakdown of the Northern Ireland Assembly on BBC News the other night, so we we can go 'Oh look at us -We're Team GB and we're great!' like East Germany used to do with drugs, which we don't do, because we're British, unless our heroes have asthma obviously and therefore have exemptions to overdose.

Kids playing basketball or medals for Team GB in Skeleton Bobsleigh though? Where should UK Sport be at?

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
The whole basketball situation is a joke.

Big sport with some top Euro teams...just don't have the interest/exposure over here.

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
Team GB wins a bronze medal today in a 'sport' that can only be described as 'what a load of bollox' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43080576

Meanwhile in a proper sport played by 100,000s of fellow Britions regularly, Basketball gets nothing from UK Sport because our male and female teams are deemed to be not medal prospects in it at the Olympics - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/basketball/43086547

How is this right? A youth crime/knife crime epidemic across our United Kingdom in our inner cities and urban areas (aka Broken Britain) but millions get put at Lizzie Yarnold from Kent, to sacrifice 6 months of her time in the French Alps, to win Team GB a Gold medal in some bull*hit sport nobody does, that has more airtime about the suits they're wearing than the breakdown of the Northern Ireland Assembly on BBC News the other night, so we we can go 'Oh look at us -We're Team GB and we're great!' like East Germany used to do with drugs, which we don't do, because we're British, unless our heroes have asthma obviously and therefore have exemptions to overdose.

Kids playing basketball or medals for Team GB in Skeleton Bobsleigh though? Where should UK Sport be at?

Erm. I've done it.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Has Lizzie Yarnold really had millions chucked at her? I don't know but I very much doubt it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Has Lizzie Yarnold really had millions chucked at her? I don't know but I very much doubt it.

Lizzy Yarnold and Great Britain’s other skeleton athletes were on Tuesday night in danger of being stripped of all their public funding after the sport failed to commit to delivering more than an eighth-place finish at the Winter Olympics.

Despite having been given £6.5 million in the four years leading up to Pyeongchang 2018 and boasting the defending women’s champion in Yarnold, the minimum target agreed between UK Sport and its most successful winter sport did not include winning a medal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/winter-o...-could-slide-failing-tocommit-success-winter/

#outrage

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Basketball is the worst sport in the WORLD. Squeaky trainers on polished wood is like a constant backdrop of running fingernails down a chalkboard. And games that end up 111-115 meaning it is a piece of PISS to score, in fact its a shock when those 7ft freaks don't. Its just points diarrohea, and its utter, utter shite.

I would rather watch my freezer defrost than waste 10 minutes of my life watching basketball. It needs banning.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Basketball is the worst sport in the WORLD. Squeaky trainers on polished wood is like a constant backdrop of running fingernails down a chalkboard. And games that end up 111-115 meaning it is a piece of PISS to score, in fact its a shock when those 7ft freaks don't. Its just points diarrohea, and its utter, utter shite.

I would rather watch my freezer defrost than waste 10 minutes of my life watching basketball. It needs banning.

Watching paint dry does come close to be fair.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
What's so special about Skeleton Bobsleigh then?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Lizzy Yarnold and Great Britain’s other skeleton athletes were on Tuesday night in danger of being stripped of all their public funding after the sport failed to commit to delivering more than an eighth-place finish at the Winter Olympics.

Despite having been given £6.5 million in the four years leading up to Pyeongchang 2018 and boasting the defending women’s champion in Yarnold, the minimum target agreed between UK Sport and its most successful winter sport did not include winning a medal.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/winter-o...-could-slide-failing-tocommit-success-winter/

#outrage

£6.5m for the whole sport over 4 years doesn't equal millions chucked at one athlete. It's chicken feed in the grand scheme of lottery funding too.

I'm not disputing your point, just the numbers.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
**** basketball, each to their own and that
NBA Jam was a great arcade machine in the 90s though. We have more chance than winning the mens slalom than beating a US team in a basketball match

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

That's also true. It is shit.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
£6.5m for the whole sport over 4 years doesn't equal millions chucked at one athlete. It's chicken feed in the grand scheme of lottery funding too.

I'm not disputing your point, just the numbers.

But she's the figurehead. The 'pretty' face of Skeleton Bobsleigh.

IMG_8169.jpg

Then there's this.....

Great-Britain-Womens-Basketball-Team.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

So we'll put you in the 'maybe' pile, for the time being.

The basketball decision was a joke if for no other reason than it left UK Sport wide open to accusations of racism.
Personally I don't see that, for me it was more like institutionalized stupidity.
But the fact they made a decision that could be construed as overtly racist ought to have been a decent enough reason to stop and think some more.

Team GB funding cuts are killing British basketball
Despite one of the most popular sports to play in the UK, basketball receives precious little funding

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-are-killing-british-basketball-a6886486.html

Oh and Baz was on fire on yesterday's Football Weekly pod.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
But that wasn't what I was disputing, as you know.

Anyway, one of our lads won a bronze in the same sport, so it's not all about her.

Whilst you're here, can I borrow your greatest post ever on NSC as my signature: ?

What a depressing bunch of utter moronic twats there are on this forum. Fortunately outnumbered by people with a brain. It's the usual suspects spouting their ignorant bile, the only positive being that their bullshit is so easily shot down.

The OP and his supporters are c***s. Thick, bigoted, dinosaur c***s. An embarrassment to this board, the football club that they support and humanity in general. Just **** off.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk

:lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't see what the issue is with having the Olympic funding being based in how well the sports perform.
Having more funding for a poor basketball team will not mean more kids play basketball, it will just fund the Olympic team. So why not give the funding to sports that do well?
If we want more kids playing basketball we should fund schemes that do that, not the Olympic team.

Cycling would laugh in the face of that comment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here