Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] country walk

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Hello great and knowledgeable people of nsc! Planning on dragging my kids away from screens and out for a walk, nature hunt and a nice country pub lunch, so though I'd ask you all for ideas as you never let me down! Looking for somewhere within 30 mins from Hove if poss. Cheers in advance!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Over the downs from Firle to Alfriston.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Over the Bostal, sompting to steyning, southdowns way

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Over the downs from Firle to Alfriston.

Good shout, on a clear day probably the most beautiful place in Sussex. Was running up there last weekend - absolutely fabulous, my favourite part of the Downs. Can park at Firle Beacon or Bo Peep easily enough (or Alfriston obviously)

Could do similar from Devil's Dyke (park at the pub) walking along the SDW in either direction, or from say Birling Gap along the Seven Sisters to the Beachy Head Inn

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Good shout, on a clear day probably the most beautiful place in Sussex. Was running up there last weekend - absolutely fabulous, my favourite part of the Downs. Can park at Firle Beacon or Bo Peep easily enough (or Alfriston obviously)

Could do similar from Devil's Dyke (park at the pub) walking along the SDW in either direction, or from say Birling Gap along the Seven Sisters to the Beachy Head Inn

Reminds me of a sponsored walk I did a few years ago, from the pub atop Devils Dyke to Partridge Green church, with lunch enroute at Bramber. A hell of a trek which almost finished me off, 18 miles if l remember correctly. Wonderful countryside on the way though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Reminds me of a sponsored walk I did a few years ago, from the pub atop Devils Dyke to Partridge Green church, with lunch enroute at Bramber. A hell of a trek which almost finished me off, 18 miles if l remember correctly. Wonderful countryside on the way though.

Nice simple route though........SDW to Botolphs then up the river along the Downslink. Lovely. Could do the same and go South to Shoreham from there as well.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Park in the Half Moon car park in Plumpton, come out of the car park and turn left down the road, walking for about 200 yards, then turn left off the road onto a footpath and what then follows is a wonderful circular walk across streams, through woodlands and back across meadows (part of the agricultural college) and finishing back up in the pub for a pint/lunch.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Nice simple route though........SDW to Botolphs then up the river along the Downslink. Lovely. Could do the same and go South to Shoreham from there as well.

On a lovely sunny day such as this, that sounds really appealing. I wonder if this weather will hold until Sunday?

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Park in the Half Moon car park in Plumpton, come out of the car park and turn left down the road, walking for about 200 yards, then turn left off the road onto a footpath and what then follows is a wonderful circular walk across streams, through woodlands and back across meadows (part of the agricultural college) and finishing back up in the pub for a pint/lunch.

Sounds good - roughly how many miles is it? Wondering if suitable for my two 7 and 5 year old kids...

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
On a lovely sunny day such as this, that sounds really appealing. I wonder if this weather will hold until Sunday?

Would be great there now. If you do make it be prepared for a bit of mud - mostly around the gateways where the cattle have been. There are a couple of areas between the Dyke and Truleigh Hill (in the dips) that are a bit soggy. I went eastwards instead last week over Firle from Southease towards Alfriston (again a good place to start as easy to park and there is a cafe and toilets at the Youth Hostel) and it was much drier that way.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
From East Dean, with its lovely Tiger Inn and car-less village green, to Birling Gap. A route far to the right (west) of the north-south road. You won’t hear or see traffic, with beautiful views of the sea and rolling downland.

All part of this amazing county.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

You have the BEST countryside. Especially to your north. Do not RUB it in.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Another good shout........good pub too. Our running club does a series of 'pub runs' in the summer, usually about 5 miles starting and finishing at a pub. The Half Moon option is nice - other decent routes can be found from loads of local pubs, I really like :

Red Lion Wineham - nice trails directly behind the pub, woodland trails, little bit of very quiet road through Shermanbury and a long stretch of lovely riverbank
Shepherd and Dog at Fulking - similar to the Dyke if you want the Downs, but can also stay in the valley if preferred
Bolney Stage - they even do organised pub walks (check their facebook page)

There are loads of others......

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I've got a few small reviews of local walks in this section of Brighton Lines:

https://brightonlines.wordpress.com/category/my-sussex/

The walk from Ditchling Beacon to Upper Beeding is fine locally although, as others show above, going inland opens up a lot of new experiences.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
We did the Bo Peep to Firle walk a few weeks back and it was lovely but surprisingly muddy in points, even on the top. Just make sure you've got walking boots or trainers you don't mind getting rather grubby.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here