Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

How much sucking up has to be done in a corporate company to get promoted?

2 Not allowed!
    Today has been somewhat of a Sh+t day @ the office as they say.

Went for an interview yesterday, my first for 15 years and it was a group interview........no pressure there then! After that the one on one interview.

Fortunately pressure doesn't faze me in these situation and just excites me.

Round 1

The Group interview

From the off I felt poor body language from the recently promoted boss, but the HR girls were giving all the right signals, there were 3 of us with 3 shadowing us, I felt I had excelled in all that was asked of me, i didn't think i was over zealous in the tasks but took control at the same time, which was for a team leader role, something i have had 20 years experience in and to my knowledge i was out in and in pole position for experience.

Round 2

The face to face interview.

I was last to be interviewed an hour an a half wait, but didn't bother me as brushed up on some of the potential answers.

It was a quick fire style 15 ish question with me asking questions at the end.

Personally i thought i answered the questions all but perfect for the position with eye contact good body language and plenty of enthusiasm to the boss and the HR girl.

The boss didn't give me much eye contact and was slumping in his chair, whilst the HR girl was nodding agreeing with every answer i gave.

I came out feeling i had done all that was asked and could not have done much better, just a bit concerned of the bosses poor body language.

Today

Boss called early this morning to say I didn't get the position, I asked for feedback and he said I felt that your were not going to be able to motivate the team as i didn't feel the enthusiasm, eh FFS enthusiasm was coming out of my lug holes you **** and I didn't take lead in the group interview, eh yes i did, I persuaded the other two candidates to change their mind on the role plays we were given.

I should state at this point that a new company has just bought them and is re- structuring with big changes and cutting 14 field roles to just 6 and unfortunately there was no longer a role in my area, so it was this role or the dole.

I always had my eye on this position anyhow, so it didn't worry me.

Gutted.

So what went wrong
    was out on 9,999 but back after special request from Whitechapel.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      Sorry to hear of your bad news.

Brace yourself for a new thread from Ernest.
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Sorry to hear of your bad news.

Brace yourself for a new thread from Ernest.
      Thanks but surely that would be too predictable even for Ernest!!!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mouldy Boots View Post
      Thanks but surely that would be too predictable even for Ernest!!!
      To be fair he did stop it a while ago, but you just know he's itching to do another.

On topic: I hate office politics. Brown-nosing so often victorious over productivity.
      Thank you Chris, you're a legend.
      Members

19 Not allowed!
      If it is anything like the corporate I work in it would have been decided long before the interview stage and this was all a HR exercise

1 Not allowed!
      The thing that I struggle with is putting in the necessary leg work to get the next job in favour of spending all my time doing my current one. I throw myself into my work and spend all of my available time working on something or other, visible or not, so when it comes to looking for something new internally, I've not really done the whole networking thing, or put my face about enough and I narrowly missed out on a promotion recently to a guy who had a MASTERS DEGREE (bit of a cheat, that!) in the field we were applying for.

All that said, big thanks to @Rugrat for his help all those years ago - and then @mistahclarke for being the best Team Leader I've had, or will have.
      Je suis rôti de boeuf RandyWanger's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by robbobhafc View Post
      If it is anything like the corporate I work in it would have been decided long before the interview stage and this was all a HR exercise
      Same thing happens here.
      Going for the juggler
      Banned

3 Not allowed!
      2 things

1) they’d probably earmarked the person before the interview stage anyway
      2) we’re all gonna die anyway so it doesn’t matter in the long scheme of things

Chin up

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mouldy Boots View Post
      Today has been somewhat of a Sh+t day @ the office as they say.

Went for an interview yesterday, my first for 15 years and it was a group interview........no pressure there then! After that the one on one interview.

Fortunately pressure doesn't faze me in these situation and just excites me.

Round 1

The Group interview

From the off I felt poor body language from the rvecently promoted boss, but the HR girls were giving all the right signals, there were 3 of us with 3 shadowing us, I felt I had excelled in all that was asked of me, i didn't think i was over zealous in the tasks but took control at the same time, which was for a team leader role, something i have had 20 years experience in and to my knowledge i was out in and in pole position for experience.

Round 2

The face to face interview.

I was last to be interviewed an hour an a half wait, but didn't bother me as brushed up on some of the potential answers.

It was a quick fire style 15 ish question with me asking questions at the end.

Personally i thought i answered the questions all but perfect for the position with eye contact good body language and plenty of enthusiasm to the boss and the HR girl.

The boss didn't give me much eye contact and was slumping in his chair, whilst the HR girl was nodding agreeing with every answer i gave.

I came out feeling i had done all that was asked and could not have done much better, just a bit concerned of the bosses poor body language.

Today

Boss called early this morning to say I didn't get the position, I asked for feedback and he said I felt that your were not going to be able to motivate the team as i didn't feel the enthusiasm, eh FFS enthusiasm was coming out of my lug holes you **** and I didn't take lead in the group interview, eh yes i did, I persuaded the other two candidates to change their mind on the role plays we were given.

I should state at this point that a new company has just bought them and is re- structuring with big changes and cutting 14 field roles to just 6 and unfortunately there was no longer a role in my area, so it was this role or the dole.

I always had my eye on this position anyhow, so it didn't worry me.

Gutted.

So what went wrong
      Based on your comments about the new boss and his body language, perhaps he'd made up his mind conciously or subconciously early on or even before the interview? In other words, not following the process and HR science. This is very common.

Their loss more than yours in the end.

Well done for staying (outwardly) positive during the process and after the bad news.

Hopefully you find something better in the near future.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
      To be fair he did stop it a while ago, but you just know he's itching to do another.

On topic: I hate office politics. Brown-nosing so often victorious over productivity.
      I just don't understand why you would pick a brown noser who is obviously one who you know is waving the sign behind your back as soon as your turned.

Quote Originally Posted by robbobhafc View Post

Thanks for the insight because this hasn't been the normal environment that i have been around, i have yet to find out who has the job, but my money is on the pretty girl who asked at the previous meeting where does the role cover, to which he replied loud enough for all people who were chatting at the time, ideally someone situated near the M3, yep that girl lives 10 mins from the M3! She did have a knowingly look if i think about it prior to the interview, surely she wasn't tapped up was she