Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Could of and Should of: Who is to blame: The Poll

Well, who is to blame for these aberrations?

• Teachers: Must drill basics into kids. Offer a sacrificial teacher each time it happens

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Parents of the snowflake will not correct their kids variety

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Grammar Pedants who people now actively rebel against

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • The offending person who should be auto-enrolled in National Service.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other

Votes: 10 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
I am stood, I am sat. Bad teaching in schools, too many bloody foreign teacher, even the presenters on the BBC,

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Voted Teachers: Must drill basics into kids. Offer a sacrificial teacher each time it happens

Well the first part anyway. Tho I don't see why any individual teacher should be made an escape goat :moo:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Teacher trainers in the 1970s prioritised creativity over accuracy "which can be taught later" (except that it never was). Therefore too many of the present generation of teachers have a sub-standard grasp of spelling, grammar and punctuation.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Teacher trainers in the 1970s prioritised creativity over accuracy "which can be taught later" (except that it never was). Therefore too many of the present generation of teachers have a sub-standard grasp of spelling, grammar and punctuation.

Thirty years ago, I was sharing a house with two English teachers and once offered to mark their pupils' homework, They stopped me after a while as I was correcting spelling mistakes and was told not to do this, as "correcting mistakes discourages them".

What was even more alarming was that one of these teachers had me check any letters or work that she produced as she wasn't very good at grammar or spelling. Who shall teach the teachers themselves?

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
It feels like it must the affect of many years of substandard teaching.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Their must be an obvious answer, and I hope when there caught their bought to task for they're crimes

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
It feels like it must the affect of many years of substandard teaching.

Phone typing error in there.

Should say "be the affect of..."

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
People that abbreviate should have, to should've when speaking.

Or use should of in its written form.

Should've is acceptable. Should of most defiantly isn't in any form. Yes, defiantly used deliberately.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This thread could last a while.

*makes himself an expresso*

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Or use should of in its written form.

Should've is acceptable. Should of most defiantly isn't in any form. Yes, defiantly used deliberately.

Are we not trying to find who to blame for that, other than the uneducated user of the two words?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Other. I blame the people who say 'should of'. Surely they know it's the wrong word?

Oh, who am I kidding. There's still loads of people who sing "Going up TO win the Cup" even though it makes absolutely no sense. Got no chance of them realising it should be HAVE not OF.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here