Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Fixing a faulty doorknob

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Anyone know what they are looking at here...?

Have tried elsewhere online and not made progress.

Looks like a part (spring?) is broken. Is it easy to replace the part or should I be replacing the whole thing? Would it be easy to get exactly the same size to fit the holes on the door? What sort of cost?

As ever, very grateful for any help. If Brownie Points could be transferred then I'd be happy to...
43c2173cd1b724ba950518341078c99e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Might be easiest to take it to somewhere like Homebase, so you can directly compare the old one's size/holes with the ones they sell - they all tend to be in blister packs. You might need to use a small chisel if the new one is slightly taller...

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Might be easiest to take it to somewhere like Homebase, so you can directly compare the old one's size/holes with the ones they sell - they all tend to be in blister packs. You might need to use a small chisel if the new one is slightly taller...
Yes. Good advice, thanks. The chiselling bit is what I'd like to avoid if possible.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
I think it's called a "feather spring" if that helps you google

Edit, not sure if that's right but would one of these do : https://www.doorhandleparts.co.uk/mortice-lock-springs.php ?
Thanks. The broken part is flatter and wider than those in the link. Not sure if they are interchangeable though - feels like a long shot given obvious age.

Learning small cost of replacing whole thing makes that feel more feasible but needs to be right size/shape...

BN3er

Sep 17, 2011
Try Thomas locksmiths. Portland Road in Hove
Experts at repairing locks especially older unusual ones. I have used them many a time for jobs like this.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
For goodness sake! Just get a shinny new one, the dimensions should be written down somewhere. Go on be brave! :lol:

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Try Thomas locksmiths. Portland Road in Hove
Experts at repairing locks especially older unusual ones. I have used them many a time for jobs like this.
As Portland Road will also provide a nice trip down memory lane then I might just do that. Thanks.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Any new mortice lock you buy will just be different enough to f.uckk you up if not a chippy or handy enough. I love this. It’s when a customer says “oh that was a bit dearer than I expected” and I think, ‘ really you know about the cost do you but you can’t got fit the f.uckker can you’ ?

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Any new mortice lock you buy will just be different enough to f.uckk you up if not a chippy or handy enough. I love this. It’s when a customer says “oh that was a bit dearer than I expected” and I think, ‘ really you know about the cost do you but you can’t got fit the f.uckker can you’ ?
Thanks. Sounds like a clear vote for getting my existing one fixed? Should be fairly straightforward?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here