Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Computer Says No - 2018 Edition

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
They say things happen in three's - in last 24 hours have had

- Middlesbrough away loyalty points taken off me as computer (scan in bar code turnstile) says no I didn't go to game - I did - may have to use my catering till receipt of can find it to prove it (just found it re half time burger!)

- Tax returns done by post and self assessment sent by HMRC by post to me don't count re mortgage application as computer says no - only online tax return docs count these days - this is clearly rubbish - but don't forget - computer says no!

- Cash back promotion - asked to supply proof of purchase - have online order confirmation and guarantee e-mail - computer says no - as only a till receipt valid - this is rubbish too, tempted to take this to small claims court on point of principle!!

So what are your 2018 "computer says no" experiences this year then folks?

Remember - whenever computer says no - it is always right - common sense is banned these days - as computer says no!

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I'd get a new fu***ng computer if i was you matey!!

Mine say's yes! perhaps i'm not clueless!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i work in IT, the computers say yes, unfortunately managers think yes means different things from no to purple.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just went on to the ticketing website

0abd26aa588ffcb646a18a1b0bc104ec.jpg

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They say things happen in three's - in last 24 hours have had

- Middlesbrough away loyalty points taken off me as computer (scan in bar code turnstile) says no I didn't go to game - I did - may have to use my catering till receipt of can find it to prove it (just found it re half time burger!)

- Tax returns done by post and self assessment sent by HMRC by post to me don't count re mortgage application as computer says no - only online tax return docs count these days - this is clearly rubbish - but don't forget - computer says no!

- Cash back promotion - asked to supply proof of purchase - have online order confirmation and guarantee e-mail - computer says no - as only a till receipt valid - this is rubbish too, tempted to take this to small claims court on point of principle!!

Remember - whenever computer says no - it is always right - common sense is banned these days - as computer says no!

Appears that most of it is shite. Have a cup of tea and a cake you'll feel better. If not 200 paracetamol should sort it

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Tried to change Electricity for my shop yesterday. Apparently my business has a zero credit score with Experion. Despite the fact I have been going 8 years, never defaulted on a payment and have about £25k in available credit from suppliers and about £4k in the bank. Checked my personal Experion credit rating at my home address and have the max 999. Joke

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
In 2014, I had an electricity meter removed. And the end of 2016 and beginning of 2017, Scottish Power took some money via Direct Debit. I spent ages explaining that there isn't even a meter and they hadn't supplied me since 2014, and they couldn't even refund me as I don't have an account with them, so they told me to make an indemnity claim with the bank. I did that and they still managed to charge me again before I got the bank to stop them. By the summer of 2017, they sent me a little apology cheque.

End of 2017 and they've sent me a letter asking me to pay £288.63 for an estimated electricity reading, dated end of 2014 (after meter was removed). I ignored it, at least they're not able to make a DD any more. Then I get a debt collection letter. I call the debt people to explain, then it's back to Scottish Power to ask what's going on. They said they've got no records of anything from 2014, so they're working to an estimate, and I had to pay unless I could prove I hadn't used the electricity. Wow. Good luck with that SP, you'll have to explain that one to a judge. Anyway, I manage to find a copy of my old bill, saying the meter had been removed, with the reading I gave them and nothing owing, so I send them a copy.

Then in the last couple of weeks I've had a letter from the complaints department saying my complaint has now been resolved, apologising for any inconvenience caused, and saying they've worked out my final bill as £288.63, and asking me to 'pay the amount to avoid unnecessary situations' :facepalm:

I'm flabbergasted.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
In 2014, I had an electricity meter removed. And the end of 2016 and beginning of 2017, Scottish Power took some money via Direct Debit. I spent ages explaining that there isn't even a meter and they hadn't supplied me since 2014, and they couldn't even refund me as I don't have an account with them, so they told me to make an indemnity claim with the bank. I did that and they still managed to charge me again before I got the bank to stop them. By the summer of 2017, they sent me a little apology cheque.

End of 2017 and they've sent me a letter asking me to pay £288.63 for an estimated electricity reading, dated end of 2014 (after meter was removed). I ignored it, at least they're not able to make a DD any more. Then I get a debt collection letter. I call the debt people to explain, then it's back to Scottish Power to ask what's going on. They said they've got no records of anything from 2014, so they're working to an estimate, and I had to pay unless I could prove I hadn't used the electricity. Wow. Good luck with that SP, you'll have to explain that one to a judge. Anyway, I manage to find a copy of my old bill, saying the meter had been removed, with the reading I gave them and nothing owing, so I send them a copy.

Then in the last couple of weeks I've had a letter from the complaints department saying my complaint has now been resolved, apologising for any inconvenience caused, and saying they've worked out my final bill as £288.63, and asking me to 'pay the amount to avoid unnecessary situations' :facepalm:

I'm flabbergasted.

Let them take you to court - you can prove to the court that you've attempted to resolve the situation. Male sure you claim for all your time defending the claim when they do take you to court and lose.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I was turned down for a mortgage of £85K over four years. "So what" you might say.
My mortgage has £85k left to pay over five years and I wanted to shorten it. Never missed a payment in 16 years, 1000 pts on credit score, enough money in bank to pay off mortgage in one go (but would leave me skint and business needs capitol), same bank all my life.
But girl on phone said no.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

I'm flabbergasted.

That is indeed flabbergasting and effing effing disgraceful

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was turned down for a mortgage of £85K over four years. "So what" you might say.
My mortgage has £85k left to pay over five years and I wanted to shorten it. Never missed a payment in 16 years, 1000 pts on credit score, enough money in bank to pay off mortgage in one go (but would leave me skint and business needs capitol), same bank all my life.
But girl on phone said no.

Can you simply just overpay into your existing mortgage? I did for years, the term comes tumbling down.........

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I had a small problem last week with Simply Health. I've been paying into a hospital fund for over 30 years without any problems, but gradually with takeovers, it's all amalgamated into Simply Health.

I went to the dentist for a check up, & paid £20.60 which is the NHS rate. When I got in, the dentist found a very small hole in my wisdom tooth, which she filled immediately without an injection because it was so tiny. So I paid the balance to make it up to £56.30, which is the going rate for treatment. The dentist signed a form to say I'd had treatment.
I scanned the form & 2 receipts and emailed them to SH. Computer said no.
It had to be a statement of account. I rang the dentist, but it was an answerphone 3 times.
It took 5 days to sort out, just because I had the wrong bit of paper.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Let them take you to court - you can prove to the court that you've attempted to resolve the situation. Male sure you claim for all your time defending the claim when they do take you to court and lose.
AFAIK you can't claim for your time. They'd never take me to court, they'd realise eventually that they're trying to charge me for something I haven't used. They'll sort it out at some point, then they can send me another apology cheque or I'll write to the ombudsman.

That is indeed flabbergasting and effing effing disgraceful
I'm surprised anyone bothered to read my long rant to be honest, but I'm so annoyed with them I felt like venting. I understand that their system has got in a muddle (computer says no), but you'd think that when people have got involved they'd realise it's wrong and stop repeating their mistakes.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
AFAIK you can't claim for your time. They'd never take me to court, they'd realise eventually that they're trying to charge me for something I haven't used. They'll sort it out at some point, then they can send me another apology cheque or I'll write to the ombudsman.

I'm surprised anyone bothered to read my long rant to be honest, but I'm so annoyed with them I felt like venting. I understand that their system has got in a muddle (computer says no), but you'd think that when people have got involved they'd realise it's wrong and stop repeating their mistakes.

Having worked for an electricity company in the past, I can see how this has happened. The person on the phone will send a report saying the meter is redundant, but somewhere along the line the computer section hasn't got the message to remove it from the data. There are so many 'in betweens', it gets lost in the system. It's frustrating for all concerned, but even more so for you.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

I'm flabbergasted.

On a related note, a friend of mine used to be a gas fitter for the gas board (and whatever they morphed into). A colleague of his moved into a new place so rang the accounts department to arrange to take over the gas supply.
"There's no gas at that house" he was told.
"yes there is, it's meter type xyx, serial number 12345"
"Doesn't exist. We can put a gas supply in for £250 if you want"
This went on for a year, letters from his foreman and manager just met with "Theres no gas supply"
In the end he gave up so for 20 odd years he had free gas.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
On a related note, a friend of mine used to be a gas fitter for the gas board (and whatever they morphed into). A colleague of his moved into a new place so rang the accounts department to arrange to take over the gas supply.
"There's no gas at that house" he was told.
"yes there is, it's meter type xyx, serial number 12345"
"Doesn't exist. We can put a gas supply in for £250 if you want"
How can people be so stupid?
"There is gas, I've got the gas hob on at the moment and I'm cooking some pasta"
"No, you don't have gas, but we can install it for you" :wozza:

This went on for a year, letters from his foreman and manager just met with "Theres no gas supply"
In the end he gave up so for 20 odd years he had free gas.
I'm well jel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here