Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] National Service

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
A former colleague was born in Greece to Greek parents who moved back to the uk when he was 2. His parents wanted to fully embrace Britain and so he never learned to speak greek. Fast forward 20 years and he got a letter, in Greek, which he was convinced told him to report for National Service. A couple more letters followed and so for 30 odd years he never went to Greece as he was convinced he would be arrested.
Finally he got his boss, who DID speak Greek to translate them and all they said was "As you live abroad you are excused".

I have friends who live in Athens. The term for National Service is 2 years, but if you are married, it is reduced to 1 year, and if you have a child, it's only 6 months.
Kids in Greece get married quite young.

When I was in the Navy in the 60s, there were a few who had been in front of the bench who were told, Borstal or the forces. For those that joined the Navy, it did work out quite well, as teamwork can help those who feel they don't belong anywhere.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Rather than military service I'd rather see some sort of community service. That way it doesn't drag our very limited military resources away to look after some snotty nosed 18 year olds but might still instill some dicipline and pride into them. That said I do have that nagging thing in the back of my mind that I don't like the idea of the government forcing people to do things they don't wish to.

Yeah. They could be sent to do aid work in Haiti.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Colossal waste of time and money. The military haven't got the resources or anywhere to put mass conscripts - and nothing to give them to do.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
1 month? You can't learn a great deal in a month, and will your job be kept open for you during that month?
Is it straight from school at 18 and so defer uni?

will they keep your job open in France? is that a serious question? from what i hear you could just leave for a month without telling anyone and they'll keep your job open.

i cant see any value at all for 1 month, wouldnt even complete basic training would they (unless low level), pointless signalling to some constituent. the idea of national service, especially if we think a bit further than military service is something we really should reconsider.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Given the question was for healthy males aged 17-21, it does seem somewhat silly that the lowest age band for respondents is 18-24 thereby there is no breakdown on those in the age band who would be required to undertake National Service. I would be very surprised if the 23% was evenly apportioned by each year between 18 and 24.
So we're agreed then. It's not as simplistic as you first said.

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
In an alternate world where people could take discipline, it would be a good idea IMO.
Bit for today's generation, the namby pamby brigade, who'll cry wolf everytime they were shouted at, I dont think with that it would.

Oi! Not all of us millennials are avocado-munching, crybaby snowflakes:lol: Though I do understand where you're coming from

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
As someone who is probably now too old (this is for teenagers and pre-uni right?) I don't think this is necessarily a bad idea. There are an awful lot of men in particular who are drifting around without much sense of purpose. Doing something active and physical can't be bad, providing some structure and focus to people struggling for it can't be bad either. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Whether for or against the idea in general, one month is a ridiculous length of time. It's not long enough to do any good (if indeed it would do) and the legal costs in arguments about exemptions and human rights would cost a fortune - and it would probably take more than a month to get the objectors there anyway.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
What an utterly crap idea. Why not get kids to do a one month compulsory IT course, it's more likely to be of use than running round a field. Its no more relevant than an enforced pottery club.

The point is we need kids to be interested in a range of topics, some will be more interested in some than others. Encourage them to do what interests them. Why force some to do something they will hate for a month? Still, what do you expect from a country that dreamt up the Maginot line. Onion wearing, Garlic munching twats.

What a truly brilliant idea, the kids today will love national service, lucky buggers? I'm just devastated that I'm going to miss out Coz I'm old, shame:lolol:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So we're agreed then. It's not as simplistic as you first said.

I wouldn't say we are in agreement.

Age 60+ 62% agree
Age 40-49 54% agree

Age 18-23 23% agree

C2DE Socials 53% agree

London 36% agree
North 52% agree

That could almost be a Brexit vote.

So we can agree to disagree but only if you're in agreement with disagreeing

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
As someone who is probably now too old (this is for teenagers and pre-uni right?) I don't think this is necessarily a bad idea. There are an awful lot of men in particular who are drifting around without much sense of purpose. Doing something active and physical can't be bad, providing some structure and focus to people struggling for it can't be bad either. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.
Would be more productive to teach them a trade surely?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
What a stupid idea.
Waste of time, money and anything else I can't be bothered to think about.
Hope it is not mooted over here; the next step would be having old gits of 70, like myself being press ganged into Dad's Army!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Put that idea together with some sort of National Community Service and there might be a good idea in the making. Maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5ways

Sep 18, 2012

That would hopefully be one of the aims of some sort of national service. In Germany, I think they have both military and civil national service (though it is no longer compulsory). I knew someone who worked with older people in a civil capacity rather than in a military role. It could open the possibilty for vocational training? :shrug:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

1 month is pointless and any future wars won't require a considerable number of soldiers due to the advances in weapons that we now have.

I can see the benefit of a 1 year programme that people could sign up for during which you get taught a trade as well as completing some key forces training. Many youngsters don't have the skills to obtain employment at a significant level and who wouldn't want to be known as a former Dutch marine even if it was just as a chef

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here