Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] National Service

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Rather than military service I'd rather see some sort of community service. That way it doesn't drag our very limited military resources away to look after some snotty nosed 18 year olds but might still instill some dicipline and pride into them. That said I do have that nagging thing in the back of my mind that I don't like the idea of the government forcing people to do things they don't wish to.

How about our youngsters dont do community service, dont go to do military and choose their options with parents guidance?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
A former colleague was born in Greece to Greek parents who moved back to the uk when he was 2. His parents wanted to fully embrace Britain and so he never learned to speak greek. Fast forward 20 years and he got a letter, in Greek, which he was convinced told him to report for National Service. A couple more letters followed and so for 30 odd years he never went to Greece as he was convinced he would be arrested.
Finally he got his boss, who DID speak Greek to translate them and all they said was "As you live abroad you are excused".

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Not seen if anyone else has posted , but just read that President Macron has brought back National service to France . All eligible will do 1month service .

Personally think it would be a great idea in this country and not too much hardship for everyone involved . Discuss !

Having spent 30 years in the RAF I can assure you that conscripts ( forced teenagers ) would not be welcome or needed.
Maybe send them to some ' military camp' for a few months to teach them discipline but most would probably resent that.

As a profesional military neither the RAF,RN or Army need conscription.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
23% of all 18-25 year olds and 35% of all 26-39 year olds support it. 38% of all Lib Dem voters support it whilst 33% of UKIP voters are opposed. I reckon it might just be a little bit more nuanced than your old white male Brexit voters.

View attachment 94162

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/01/28/brits-tend-support-re-introduction-national-servic/

I am not sure. Looking at those numbers I suspect it would be very popular amongst that portion of the demographic.

It doesn't sound much fun to me. Funny that they are worried about the cost of it so they might send everyone home of an evening. I bet they would segregate it as well to make it really miserable.

Mixed battalions. South of France. Compulsory discotechque every night. People wouldn't want to leave.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I like the idea of a few months service for everyone, either in the forces or in the community. I would like community service for long term unemployed people too.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When I was growing up the threat of national service (yes, threat) was mooted every now and then to 'sort out' the 'long haired layabouts' and 'bolshie types'. Reactionary types (like my old man) had pleasant fantasies of whey-faced pseudo intellectual youth (like me) being bawled at by a Windsor Davies looky/soundy alikeies while tearfully attempting some press ups on a drizzle-spattered square.

But now that I'm old, and my knees are no longer what they were (which was never much to be fair) I am all in favour.

No but seriously, it would turn into an absolute shambols, with goodness knows how many exemptions, and just lowish paid white working class and African/West Indian ethnic youth (the bottom of the food chain) getting lumbered.

It will be interesting to see how br'er frog deals with all this. Badly I suspect. Mind you, it may work since their 'service' is bound to include copious amounts of poncing about, cordon bleu training, and a bit of can-can.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
While the thought of a load of snowflakes marching around a parade ground does amuse me somewhat. The reality is that it will create even more faux resentment to add to all of their other complaints. The Forces have better things to do as does our youth. The cost would be better spent elsewhere too.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
In an alternate world where people could take discipline, it would be a good idea IMO.
Bit for today's generation, the namby pamby brigade, who'll cry wolf everytime they were shouted at, I dont think with that it would.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
In an alternate world where people could take discipline, it would be a good idea IMO.
Bit for today's generation, the namby pamby brigade, who'll cry wolf everytime they were shouted at, I dont think with that it would.

Works in Switzerland for both males and females - a referendum a few years back was something like 75% in favour.

Works in Israel - again for both males and females.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I am not sure. Looking at those numbers I suspect it would be very popular amongst that portion of the demographic..

For sure, I'm not going to disagree on that one but I was trying to show that there is a fair bit of support amongst younger voters, for voters that didn't voter for Brexit (I'm assuming almost all Lib Dems are Remainers) and that 1/3 of all UKIP voters (who all voted for Brexit) aren't in favour. Hence my comment about it being a bit more complicated than just supported by old white men.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Having spent 30 years in the RAF I can assure you that conscripts ( forced teenagers ) would not be welcome or needed.
Maybe send them to some ' military camp' for a few months to teach them discipline but most would probably resent that.

As a profesional military neither the RAF,RN or Army need conscription.

I believe that national service was abolished precisely because of this: the military didn't want it as it diminished the effectiveness of the armed forces.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
What an utterly crap idea. Why not get kids to do a one month compulsory IT course, it's more likely to be of use than running round a field. Its no more relevant than an enforced pottery club.

The point is we need kids to be interested in a range of topics, some will be more interested in some than others. Encourage them to do what interests them. Why force some to do something they will hate for a month? Still, what do you expect from a country that dreamt up the Maginot line. Onion wearing, Garlic munching twats.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What is the supposed gain from this?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Works in Switzerland for both males and females - a referendum a few years back was something like 75% in favour.

Voted for by people who'd already been forced to do National Service.

"Well if I had to do it..."

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My question would be this.

What are the outcomes you are looking to achieve from this move and what is the evidence to show that those outcomes would be met?

My next question would be.

What alternatives for meeting these outcomes are there that the budget be put towards?

My guess is that the money would be better spent in the education system.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
23% of all 18-25 year olds and 35% of all 26-39 year olds support it. 38% of all Lib Dem voters support it whilst 33% of UKIP voters are opposed. I reckon it might just be a little bit more nuanced than your old white male Brexit voters.

View attachment 94162

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/01/28/brits-tend-support-re-introduction-national-servic/

Given the question was for healthy males aged 17-21, it does seem somewhat silly that the lowest age band for respondents is 18-24 thereby there is no breakdown on those in the age band who would be required to undertake National Service. I would be very surprised if the 23% was evenly apportioned by each year between 18 and 24.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here