Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] National Service

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Not seen if anyone else has posted , but just read that President Macron has brought back National service to France . All eligible will do 1month service .

Personally think it would be a great idea in this country and not too much hardship for everyone involved . Discuss !

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
So people are going to be locked up for a month without having committed any crimes, and that's good?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The Tories failed to capture too many young voters last time out, and I can't see this vote losing suggestion doing anything other than losing them more votes.

About the only people in the UK who would be in favour would be Brexit supporters given their desire to turn the clock back to the 1950s, combined with the fact they are too old to actually get called up.
If this did go ahead, stand by for a national surge in bone spurs to enable people to be given a medical exemption.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
1 month? You can't learn a great deal in a month, and will your job be kept open for you during that month?
Is it straight from school at 18 and so defer uni?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
The Tories failed to capture too many young voters last time out, and I can't see this vote losing suggestion doing anything other than losing them more votes.

About the only people in the UK who would be in favour would be Brexit supporters given their desire to turn the clock back to the 1950s, combined with the fact they are too old to actually get called up.
If this did go ahead, stand by for a national surge in bone spurs to enable people to be given a medical exemption.

True story
In Egypt where I have spent a LOT of time chopping off your trigger finger is sad but rife

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick

Are you suggesting that France would also like to leave the EU?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Not seen if anyone else has posted , but just read that President Macron has brought back National service to France . All eligible will do 1month service .

Personally think it would be a great idea in this country and not too much hardship for everyone involved . Discuss !

You happy to do it then?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
True story
In Egypt where I have spent a LOT of time chopping off your trigger finger is sad but rife

You've spent a lot of time chopping off my trigger finger?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I think its pants. The next war where compulsary service would be required will not be done with men on the ground, in the mean time sign up if you like

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

About the only people in the UK who would be in favour would be Brexit supporters given their desire to turn the clock back to the 1950s, combined with the fact they are too old to actually get called up..

23% of all 18-25 year olds and 35% of all 26-39 year olds support it. 38% of all Lib Dem voters support it whilst 33% of UKIP voters are opposed. I reckon it might just be a little bit more nuanced than your old white male Brexit voters.

Capture.JPG

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/01/28/brits-tend-support-re-introduction-national-servic/

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
1 month, by the time you've completed the Health & Safety briefing, conducted counselling for those away from home and trained people how to get out of bed by 6 a.m. that'll be 30 days up. Basic training is just that, basic, and takes six weeks or more!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Personally I'm not in favour we have the very best professional army in the world. I'd rather the money was spent making sure it stayed that way.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Getting a load of 18 years olds to spend a month doing something they have no desire to do and no intention of continuing with. Seems like a complete waste of money and resources.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Getting a load of 18 years olds to spend a month doing something they have no desire to do and no intention of continuing with. Seems like a complete waste of money and resources.

Yep if it meant to be a discipline exercise go to the parents or school. It is indeed outdated and pants

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Be quite nice if we had a bloody army to speak of but, as already said above, the next war won’t require any soldiers - just a lot a civilians huddled together waiting for the bomb to drop.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've always been anti National Service. But I do think young people should be compelled to do something for society.

I quite like Professor Heinz Wolff's idea of something like a citizenship bank. You do loads of helping others when you're young, and bank the hours. Then when you're old and need help yourself, you can start withdrawing your hours by getting the help of the youngsters :)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Rather than military service I'd rather see some sort of community service. That way it doesn't drag our very limited military resources away to look after some snotty nosed 18 year olds but might still instill some dicipline and pride into them. That said I do have that nagging thing in the back of my mind that I don't like the idea of the government forcing people to do things they don't wish to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here