Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Advanced Mac Cleaner - annoying virus thing

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I keep getting this popping up, no matter how many times I uninstall it. I can't find the extra files that keep reinstalling it. I've googled for help, but there are a bunch of 'download this' and I'm reluctant to download something else in case it is another virus-like thing (I know it's not technically a virus). I can't find any suspicious looking apps or anything.

Anyone had this and managed to sort it can offer any advice? (mac book pro, high sierra OS)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I keep getting this popping up, no matter how many times I uninstall it. I can't find the extra files that keep reinstalling it. I've googled for help, but there are a bunch of 'download this' and I'm reluctant to download something else in case it is another virus-like thing (I know it's not technically a virus). I can't find any suspicious looking apps or anything.

Anyone had this and managed to sort it can offer any advice? (mac book pro, high sierra OS)

I know you've said you don't want to download anything else, but Malwarebytes is as respected as they come, and will likely sort this out.

Basically, all these Mac Cleaner type apps are all a big con really, most of the things they do the Mac does on its own when it's asleep anyway.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Yes, it is extremely annoying. I followed instructions from Google on how to find the file and remove it which was successful and then it start again to reappear a few months later.
It's a worldwide problem that is very common and well known but takes a bit of digging to remove. I'm too busy and lazy to research it again so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for a sensible, knowledgable person to tell us what to do. If not i'll just keep closing it when it pops up.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I know you've said you don't want to download anything else, but Malwarebytes is as respected as they come, and will likely sort this out.

Basically, all these Mac Cleaner type apps are all a big con really, most of the things they do the Mac does on its own when it's asleep anyway.

It's not so much about not wanting to downloand anything, more about not downloading some random thing on a google search. I figured suggested downloads here might be a bit more reliable. I'll give the malwarebytes thing a try, thanks.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
REMOVING ADVANCED MAC CLEANER (APPLE FORUMS)

Open Finder (the 2 color face on your dock).
Choose Applications from the left side of the window. When the list shows up, choose Utilities.
In Utilities, choose Activity Monitor.
In Activity Monitor, choose the CPU button at the top.
Next, click on the words 'Process Name' at the top left. This will make everything show up in alphabetical order.
In the Process Name list, locate Advance Mac Cleaner and highlight it.
Click the stop sign top left to stop this process. (You may have to enter your password.)
Close the Activity Monitor window.
------ Okay, now advanced Mac Cleaner isn't running any more. Let's get rid of it. -----------
On the Finder window, choose Applications again. When the list shows up, choose Advance Mac Cleaner.
Drag it to the trash.
-------Progress! One more step.----------
Open System Preferences (the grey cog wheel on the dock. If it's not there, click the black Apple logo top left and choose System Preferences.)
Select Users & Groups.
Choose Login Items.
Highlight Advanced Mac Cleaner, and remove it by clicking the minus sign at the bottom of the list. You'll have to enter your password.
--------Let's make sure-------
Head over to http://www.malwarebytes.org and download Malwarebytes. Once you install it, run the scan and delete any threats it finds.
--------You're done.-------

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here