Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] PFA annual accounts, Gordon Taylor £2,290,276 salary

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Here’s a copy of the PFA annual accounts which reveal chief executive’s Gordon Taylor’s £2,290,276 salary.
Meanwhile £100,000 spent by the footballers’ union on research into head injury & concussion...

[tweet]963074386357080064[/tweet]

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Had someone asked me how much he earns, I'd have taken a stab at £200-300k.

Stunned.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
agape.gif

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Here’s a copy of the PFA annual accounts which reveal chief executive’s Gordon Taylor’s £2,290,276 salary.
Meanwhile £100,000 spent by the footballers’ union on research into head injury & concussion...

[tweet]963074386357080064[/tweet]
:wozza::wozza::wozza:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, presumably the members are happy with this. And if they are not they are not obliged to join the union. I'm in no position to comment on whether he is value for money. Can anyone comment?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It never fails to surprise me that people are surprised at how much the top execs earn. A Tesco store manager can earn £150k a year nowadays. The top guys in the very largest organisations are all paid in the millions.

The FA income was £350m which is a little bit higher than the average turnover of a FTSE 350 company. The average salary for a Chief Exec of a FTSE 250 company is £1.5m so he's getting paid more than most of his counterparts in the City but it's still in the same ball park and it's not exactly like for like.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It never fails to surprise me that people are surprised at how much the top execs earn. A Tesco store manager can earn £150k a year nowadays. The top guys in the very largest organisations are all paid in the millions.

The FA income was £350m which is a little bit higher than the average turnover of a FTSE 350 company. The average salary for a Chief Exec of a FTSE 250 company is £1.5m so he's getting paid more than most of his counterparts in the City but it's still in the same ball park and it's not exactly like for like.

Yes....but....isn't he merely a union leader? What company is he running, and where can I buy shares?

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Well, presumably the members are happy with this. And if they are not they are not obliged to join the union. I'm in no position to comment on whether he is value for money. Can anyone comment?

Yes, he is not good value for money.

It is highly likely that there are at least 50 ex-players out there who have sufficient nouse to do an equally good, if not better job and would probably take this on for £500k. Considering a wide supply of potential candidates, there can be no suggestion that he is a unique candidate who needs to be paid that highly.

It's also in no way as challenging a job as being a FTSE100 CEO where you are responsible for the performance of the business and very often at great risk of messing up and destroying the company. He faces few such risks in his role, so his salary should not compare with CEO salaries.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, he is not good value for money.

It is highly likely that there are at least 50 ex-players out there who have sufficient nouse to do an equally good, if not better job and would probably take this on for £500k. Considering a wide supply of potential candidates, there can be no suggestion that he is a unique candidate who needs to be paid that highly.

It's also in no way as challenging a job as being a FTSE100 CEO where you are responsible for the performance of the business and very often at great risk of messing up and destroying the company. He faces few such risks in his role, so his salary should not compare with CEO salaries.

But....how come he has been in this job for 30 ish years and paid all this dosh? I am in a union. I can vote for the leader. I can get elected on to the finance committee that determines her salary (ours is a woman). Presumably his members think he's worth his cash lake? What business, then, is it of ours? :shrug: Personally I think he is cautious and ineffective, but on the other hand if he managed the Bosman thing through the courts it would explain his exhalted position among his highly paid player acolytes? But....I don't recall him having anything to do with the Bosman thing. Altogether....a bit peculiar.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Doesn’t really matter what We think,as long as His members are happy to pay Him that salary.

Exactly. And put so much more succinctly than my explanation :lolol:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yes....but....isn't he merely a union leader? What company is he running, and where can I buy shares?
A union is effectively a private company isn't it? Just not limited by shares but by guarantee.

A £350m turnover private company would pay their chief exec the same levels of pay as those working for a public listed company.

Unite, the biggest union has a £170m turnover and their chief exec gets a total remuneration package of around quarter of a million but you can't compare Unite to the FA. Its make up of members, sources of income and going rates for the job are oceans apart.

The bottom line is that if the members are happy then it's no-one else's business. If they aren't happy and want to pay someone the same as Len McLuskey then you probably won't get too many high calibre candidates.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A union is effectively a private company isn't it? Just not limited by shares but by guarantee.

A £350m turnover private company would pay their chief exec the same levels of pay as those working for a public listed company.

Unite, the biggest union has a £170m turnover and their chief exec gets a total remuneration package of around quarter of a million but you can't compare Unite to the FA. Its make up of members, sources of income and going rates for the job are oceans apart.

The bottom line is that if the members are happy then it's no-one else's business. If they aren't happy and want to pay someone the same as Len McLuskey then you probably won't get too many high calibre candidates.

Good reply, and I agree with you.

Stand by for a thread on how awful it is how much players are paid, and pop singers. :facepalm::lolol::thumbsup:

(ps - my guess is almost none of his members knew what he earns, and perhaps quite a few might start griping. Especially lads playing for the likes of Barnsley, Massive, Leeds and Boro. :laugh:)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Saying that I don't much care for the FA. They went for the money and lost their soul and are a large part of the problem of modern football. The creation of the Premier League was hugely detrimental to the rest of English football and devalued the Football League.

And for me even worse, they have devalued the FA Cup in so many ways.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
But....how come he has been in this job for 30 ish years and paid all this dosh? I am in a union. I can vote for the leader. I can get elected on to the finance committee that determines her salary (ours is a woman). Presumably his members think he's worth his cash lake? What business, then, is it of ours? :shrug: Personally I think he is cautious and ineffective, but on the other hand if he managed the Bosman thing through the courts it would explain his exhalted position among his highly paid player acolytes? But....I don't recall him having anything to do with the Bosman thing. Altogether....a bit peculiar.

He is probably still there because of membership apathy.

It's no business of ours to assess, but when you ask whether he is good value, I suggest that he is not, because you could employ someone else to do exactly the same job and choose to pay them less and you would get someone just as good. Simple supply and demand rules would enable a salary saving and would put at least 7p per month membership subscription back into the pockets of the millionaire players... oh... now I see where the apathy comes into it.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
After hearing him on talk sport with that blonde chap up the road, no way he is worth that amount of money. He couldn't even answer a single question that Prince Charming put to him! Or remember details of a case he was involved in.
Pathetic but they both are.. [emoji16]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He is probably still there because of membership apathy.

It's no business of ours to assess, but when you ask whether he is good value, I suggest that he is not, because you could employ someone else to do exactly the same job and choose to pay them less and you would get someone just as good. Simple supply and demand rules would enable a salary saving and would put at least 7p per month membership subscription back into the pockets of the millionaire players... oh... now I see where the apathy comes into it.

Yes. Bang on. I think we are in agreement. Right, if its that easy to deal with a moderately nuanced issue, surely we can now team up with [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] and . . . . fix Brexit......

:lolol::shootself:rock:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yes. Bang on. I think we are in agreement. Right, if its that easy to deal with a moderately nuanced issue, surely we can now team up with [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] and . . . . fix Brexit......:

Replace David Davis with someone who knows what they're doing and get the EU to replace Barnier with someone who isn't just using this as a way of becoming EU president. Job done.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here