Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] O/T Rugby Radio Commentary

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
Been spitting feathers all weekend (Sad I know)

But I and my closest mates are all general sports fans. And so it was that on returning to the car park after Saturday's game, we looked forward to the England v Wales commentary filling the inevitable queuing time to get out of Dodge (Stoke).

On goes the radio... match already 10-15 minutes in. 20 minutes later, the commentators finally mention what the score is! A few dropped hints of a couple of tries and not sure how many converted or missed penalties. Nope not a scoobie about the actual score.

We reasoned that this was Rugby snobbery where the result doesn't really matter and/or the commentators didn't like the fact that they had been relegated to radio. Never happens on football radio commentary.

I could go on but...Rant Over...

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

But I and my closest mates are all general sports fans. And so it was that on returning to the car park after Saturday's game, we looked forward to the England v Wales commentary filling the inevitable queuing time to get out of Dodge (Stoke).

On goes the radio... match already 10-15 minutes in. 20 minutes later, the commentators finally mention what the score is! A few dropped hints of a couple of tries and not sure how many converted or missed penalties. Nope not a scoobie about the actual score.

We reasoned that this was Rugby snobbery where the result doesn't really matter and/or the commentators didn't like the fact that they had been relegated to radio. Never happens on football radio commentary.

Thanks. Thought I was the only one going mad.......!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
we had similar when we switched over on TV but lucky that son was with me who knew the scoring and said that we have not converted one of the tries but I wouldnt have known.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
we had similar when we switched over on TV but lucky that son was with me who knew the scoring and said that we have not converted one of the tries but I wouldnt have known.

So you knew the score, but not why the score was what it was ? The TV always has the score on screen......

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Very similar that.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Could someone not have used their phone and looked at the BBC sports app

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Correct. I thought that it was still 3 points for a try.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sake. It changed from 3 to 4 in 1973 (after a trial from 1971)......then to 5 in 1992.

The thread was about the radio commentators not mentioning the score @BG.........

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here