Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Double penalty stops - which was better?

Your favourite double stop

• Stockdale

Votes: 45 67.2%
  • Ryan / Dunk

Votes: 22 32.8%

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Two big ones in the last two seasons, but which is your favourite?

Option 1 - David Stockdale vs. Massive

or...

Option 2 - Matt Ryan / Lewis Dunk vs Stoke

[tweet]962407097739694081[/tweet]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Both just make me so happy. Golden years to be supporting this club right now.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
In their own way, each was breathtaking and Albion fans will never tire of watching them. The memories they evoke are wonderful.

Stockers just about edges it for me (it was a wafer thin call!), not just because of his incredible reactionary double save, but because of the fact that the Albion were psychologically pumped up after that moment and, even with 10 men, went on to beat Massive and pave the way for our promotion push, from which we never looked back. It really was a defining moment last season, IMHO.

I have a gut feel that the Ryan/Dunk effort may also be a season defining moment this year and which was matched by Knocky’s remarkable clearance off the line at the death. The save by Ryan itself was incredible, and when Dunk slid in I said to my lad that I thought it looked like a(nother) penalty, and was mightily relieved when it wasn't called! I don’t think I can ever recall such a heart-in-mouth “Albion Alamo” sequence of defensive excellence in more than 50 years of watching them. The point saved, and the 2 points Stoke dropped, may very well influence the final PL table come May.

Both saves were sensational and to have been there and witnessed the drama on both occasions will live long in the memory. But, for me, Stockers just gets it by the narrowest of margins.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
David who?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
One of my favourite things about Saturday's stop is that Dunky instinctively knew he had to stop Adams at all costs. He could have easily got a red card and to be fair, I wouldn't have cared if he did, and I doubt he would have either. The possibility of saving a point in a relegation battle was bigger than any one player, and Dunky knew that. Love it.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Absolutely love both of these. Unreal memories.

Actually makes me quite sad that Stockers isn't still with us, such a shame that he seems to have fallen off a cliff now.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Absolutely love both of these. Unreal memories.

Actually makes me quite sad that Stockers isn't still with us, such a shame that he seems to have fallen off a cliff now.

Now that his er, hand injury has cleared up, He's an ever present in the Birmingham team who , Villa defeat aside, have perked up considerably since Cotterill arrived.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
One of my favourite things about Saturday's stop is that Dunky instinctively knew he had to stop Adams at all costs. He could have easily got a red card and to be fair, I wouldn't have cared if he did, and I doubt he would have either. The possibility of saving a point in a relegation battle was bigger than any one player, and Dunky knew that. Love it.
It's not the point in a relegation battle, it's just Lewis Dunk. That's what he's like.

There was one last season where the ball looked to be going out and players were on their heals, but Dunk was still fighting to get the ball out, and he saved us, as he's prone to do. He's got more fighting spirit than anyone.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Those two minutes on Saturday might be the most mentally draining that I can remember.

"Come on Maty save it"
"Yyyyyyeee.... oh shit he's got a tap in"
"Yyyyeessssssss Dunky!!!!" Mad celebrations
Corner comes in "phew my god that was close"
Second corner "shit, yyyeesss Knocky"

Those ups and downs one after the other

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Those two minutes on Saturday might be the most mentally draining that I can remember.

"Come on Maty save it"

Not one swearword!?

I don't believe you.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

"Come on Maty save it"

I walked out of the ground absolutely drained.......all down to that mad couple of minutes

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Slightly skewed this poll in my opinion, as Stockdale's double-save is agreed by many to be an absolutely pivotal moment in our eventual promotion.

Ryan/Dunk's will be thought of equally so if we survive, even moreso if we survive by a single point or GD.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Stockdale gets my vote, both were awesome

Stockdales felt like a season defining moment at the time

Ryan’s clearly huge, had it won us the game I would go with it

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports