Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Old chestnut - pick your Premier League

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Watching the build up for yet another Sky Leeds game made me ponder on this old chestnut. Some grounds rules - my game, my rules so if you don't agree with my automatics, then tough.

So, assuming you want to watch Brighton play in your Ultimate Premier League, who would fill the missing spots? This is not a current form thing or pick the easiest league - it is pick the teams you think should be in the PL based on their history.

1. Man U
2. Man City
3. Liverpool
4. Everton
5. Arsenal
6. Tottenham
7. Chelsea
8. West Ham
9 - 19 ????
20. Brighton

I thought about including Newcastle but they seem to have spent more time in Div 2 than West Ham over the last 40-50 years. All other pre-filled spaces are long term top flight clubs or those with recent consistent success. No teams currently outside the PL are pre-filled.

So - who gets the other spots? Villa and Forest will probably feature and I guess Leeds. I wouldn't count ancient history but do others want Preston, Blackpool etc? Sunderland?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You've included West Ham but not Villa? Weird.

I understand you haven't pre-filled teams currently outside the PL, but still.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Still weird.
If only people could include them as a team not in the PL but they feel they should be. Oh, wait. They can. That was the point. If I had picked all of the teams outside the PL that I think should be in, then it wouldn't be much of discussion, would it? Perfectly simple premise. These are the teams CURRENTLY in the PL that are long term members or have a lot of recent success. Which other teams would you want included.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
Leeds, Forest, Villa, Newcastle, Massive, Wolves, Ipswich, Saints (for a near enough away day), Millwall (for a bit of controversy), for some fun - a potential non-league success story club (I'll go with Kings Lynn Town as that's where I live), and us of course.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
1. Man U
2. Man City
3. Liverpool
4. Everton
5. Arsenal
6. Tottenham
7. Chelsea
8. West Ham
9 - 19 ?
20. Brighton
Not West Ham. So, 12 teams to pick. For me (in no particular order):
1).Bolton
2).Blackburn
3).Villa
4).Wolves
5).Forest
6).Leeds
7).Newcastle
8).Southampton
9).West Brom
10).Ipswich
11).Sheffield Wednesday

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I would have Saints, Portsmouth, Fulham, QPR, Brentford, Crystal Palace, Charlton, Millwall,Watford based upon there History of being easy to get to from my house.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Villa and Sunderland are 5th and 6th on the most league titles won list, but do you restrict history to just the number of titles won. Does consistent seasons in the top flight over a period like Coventry have more weight?

Personally I’d have the following based on clubs I think have some sort of top flight history or a unique story.

Aston Villa, Sunderland, Coventry, Forest, Leeds, Newcastle, Southampton, Blackburn, Wednesday, Wolves and finally Palace (just for the rivalry, not on their history)

Last edited:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I think I'd always reserve one place in my fantasy top 20 for a completely random wild card, so that some outlier like Peterborough, Doncaster or Exeter joined the elite. Which is kind of how is still feels to me when I see Bournemouth in there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here