Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Charcoal Based Foods

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
With the potential link to cancer of eating burnt food, over cooked BBQ etc and / or charcoal how come the latest fad is charcoal based pizzas etc, has it suddenly become safe in the name of marketing?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Fad is from 2015. Been around since the early Egyptians. Never taken any myself. Used to remove toxins from the body and controlling farting. God knows why any one would want to control one of the main benefits of a vegetarian diet.
Different to burnt food as is made from natural products such as coconut husks heated in steam or hot air. Used to counter poisons. Not for me.

Last edited:

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Monkeys eat charcoal to counteract toxins in some plants they eat. Clever monkeys.

I'm one to avoid BBQ and burnt food as it gives me gut rot. But I've had charcoal water to sort out a dodgy stomach in the past and it seems to work.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's not the same as burnt food, I believe as it's heated to a very high temperature which removes other compounds such as VOCs. Having said that, there are other potential negative health impacts I believe?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
burnt food is bad because the sugars/starches/other things are changed chemically in to compounds that are potentially nasty. if you're a rat and fed a kilo of them.
charcoal is pretty much just carbon with anything else driven off by heat.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I've just started to not eat red meat, significantly reduce the amount of chicken I eat and generally go veggie where I can. On reading up on diet I've been amazed at how bad heated oils are for you and how the more traditional lards and butter etc is much better.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
2678.jpg
5314.jpg
578.jpg

Personally I don't see the attraction to eating this sort of food, it doesn't give me the appetite to try it at all.
The third image looks like something that Mr Whippy would produce after going to the toilet!
After having my allotment for all these years, it's given us the opportunity in eating fresh produce, together with fruit and lean meat, bordering on being a veggie.
So charcoal food, no thank you.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not heard of this nonsense before, from the images above this is simply throwing some charcoal dust in the ingredients, so they go dark grey? no doubt there is some benefit but a detriment too, so it'll be a health hazard next year (see above re oil/fats).

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Did you know that if you put one of those quick BBQ tray type thingys from B&Q in the boot of your car it cures condensation ! obviously take the lid off and don't drive into the sea or deep rivers .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Monkeys eat charcoal to counteract toxins in some plants they eat. Clever monkeys.

I once had a charcoal craft beer. Clever and pretentious at the same time. #Multitasking

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Did you know that if you put one of those quick BBQ tray type thingys from B&Q in the boot of your car it cures condensation ! obviously take the lid off and don't drive into the sea or deep rivers .

Handy tip, thanks. It could also come in handy if you come across some decent roadkill.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Handy tip, thanks. It could also come in handy if you come across some decent roadkill.

Arthur Boyt . He has been eating badger most of his life: he stewed up a piece of back meat with the animal's genitals for supper last Thursday. "Dog, especially labrador, is his favourite, but badger makes a pretty good meal." Boyt, a 73-year-old former civil servant and scientist, does not kill animals. All his free meat comes from the roads around his home on Bodmin Moor.

Not for me Burnt or not.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Arthur Boyt . He has been eating badger most of his life: he stewed up a piece of back meat with the animal's genitals for supper last Thursday. "Dog, especially labrador, is his favourite, but badger makes a pretty good meal." Boyt, a 73-year-old former civil servant and scientist, does not kill animals. All his free meat comes from the roads around his home on Bodmin Moor.

Not for me Burnt or not.

Think I'm going to be ill!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Not for me Burnt or not.

I once ate a Pheasant I saw by the side of the road, it was early morning and had been clipped hard enough to kill it but not mush it to a pulp. It could only have been there an hour or so or the Foxes would have had it. Took it home and hung it an prepared it and it was lovely.

Was in Prezzo last night and read their flyers regarding the two charcoal based Pizza they will shortly be selling. Definitely didn't get a "..mmm sounds tasty must try them.." feeling!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here