Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Old Grey Whistle Test to return - BBC4 tonight

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Only for one three hour special though.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/whisper-it-bbc-revives-old-grey-whistle-test-ps5g7qlv0

I dunno why the Beeb don't show them all on BBC4, ok there was some dross but most of the time it was a cracking show.

The Very, Very Old Grey Whistle Test, then.

Actually, the Beeb do show a lot of OGWT stuff, in programmes like Guitar Heroes at the Beeb, Great Guitar Riffs at the Beeb, Motown at the Beeb, etc, etc. A lot of the footage in these programmes is from the OGWT.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Interesting fact about the OGWT.
It was the last show on BBC2 prior to close down at night, national anthem and the test card. So there was no time limit for the length of the show. If a band started to play a long set, so be it, but if they only played one tune then end of show.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What they say

"featuring artists that were on the original show"

What they mean

"featuring artists that were on the original show that haven't already died, gone mental, disappeared or got such bad arthritis they could no more pluck their guitar strings than a nubile teenager's budgie's tongue in the BBC store cupboard".

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
What they say

"featuring artists that were on the original show"

What they mean

"featuring artists that were on the original show that haven't already died, gone mental, disappeared or got such bad arthritis they could no more pluck their guitar strings than a nubile teenager's budgie's tongue in the BBC store cupboard".

In other words, those that weren't much cop, and have by no means improved in the meantime.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Interesting fact about the OGWT.
It was the last show on BBC2 prior to close down at night, national anthem and the test card. So there was no time limit for the length of the show. If a band started to play a long set, so be it, but if they only played one tune then end of show.

Another interesting fact; it was commissioned by David Attenborough.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
WBH must have had a bit of spare time, he has 8 kids, !
Mind you, I got 6 brothers and 4 sisters myself.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Used to be one of two programmes on TV that I went out of my way to watch, back in the day. The other being Monty Python

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I would stay up to watch the OGWT parents had gone to bed would site close to TV to try and here what Bob had to say which would result in failure so would turn the sound up only for the next band to start up and the whole house would be in turmoil happy days

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Colour OGWT JCLs ! I remember little Shoreham Leo in his clown outfit doing The Dancer and probably The Show must go on.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here