Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Last game of the season LIverpool (A)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Is our match at Liverpool cast iron 3pm KO on Sunday 13th May or could their still be a time change. Obviously all the matches have to be at the same time, but it is definitely 3pm.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Won't change - all matches have to be at the same time as you say, and I think they are deliberately on a Sunday so they can be televised

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It better not change- have already sorted accommodation for the night before. This is going to be a party whatever the circumstance or our position.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Games will all be on the sunday, but i am not sure if it kicks off at 3. for some reason I thought final games were played at 2 in the premier league, I may be wrong though.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Games will all be on the sunday, but i am not sure if it kicks off at 3. for some reason I thought final games were played at 2 in the premier league, I may be wrong though.

I wondered that as well, and I'm sure they have been at 4pm as well. It just not clear if the 3pm time is just a generic entry or if it is correct

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As a matter of interest, does anyone know what happens if a match isn't completed on that day - for example, because of crowd trouble or a bomb scare or because of Fabrice Muamba-type incident?

If the match that is due to be completed later requires a team to win by three clear goals, say, to avoid relegation would there likely to be a legal challenge or dismissed as one of those things. In other words, is the concept of simultaneous final games part of the league rules?

el punal

I think you're right. I'm pretty sure that in recent seasons the final round of fixtures takes place on a Sunday, and all matches kick off at the same time - 2.00pm.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
As a matter of interest, does anyone know what happens if a match isn't completed on that day - for example, because of crowd trouble or a bomb scare or because of Fabrice Muamba-type incident?

If the match that is due to be completed later requires a team to win by three clear goals, say, to avoid relegation would there likely to be a legal challenge or dismissed as one of those things. In other words, is the concept of simultaneous final games part of the league rules?

A couple of years ago Man United v Bournemouth, which was due to be played on last day of season was postponed to the next day due to a bomb scare. Dont beleive either team needed x points or goals to avoid relegation/achieve a CL spot however

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Didnt United have to play Bournemouth Last season after the last round of games had been played?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Didnt United have to play Bournemouth Last season after the last round of games had been played?

Did they? Do you know why?

But that game wouldn't have had any effect on any CL/relegation place, I was talking about a match that did. Look at the legal action that Sheff Utd took after West Ham survived,

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Did they? Do you know why?

But that game wouldn't have had any effect on any CL/relegation place, I was talking about a match that did. Look at the legal action that Sheff Utd took after West Ham survived,

A fake bomb was found, which was left by the guys who test the security and it wasnt found in the clean up. It was pretty big news.

As for legal action I cant see it making much of a difference, as long as the game is played.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A fake bomb was found, which was left by the guys who test the security and it wasnt found in the clean up. It was pretty big news.

As for legal action I cant see it making much of a difference, as long as the game is played.
The games are all played at the same time for a reason. A team fighting relegation might need 1 point or 3 points to survive - knowing which it is, would be a big deal. Imagine having two teams facing relegation - say, last game of the season Palace at home to West Brom, and they find out after other games that they both need 1 point for survival. Cue ball being passed around in own halves, with only 2 players ever venturing into the opponents half.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The games are all played at the same time for a reason. A team fighting relegation might need 1 point or 3 points to survive - knowing which it is, would be a big deal. Imagine having two teams facing relegation - say, last game of the season Palace at home to West Brom, and they find out after other games that they both need 1 point for survival. Cue ball being passed around in own halves, with only 2 players ever venturing into the opponents half.

Whats to stop that happening two games from the end of the season? I understand why it would be so important at an international tournement but I dont believe its a huge deal IF one game couldnt be played for legitmate reasons.

United were within a chance of qualifying for the top four i cant find a quote from the FA in the report expressing a concern.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Whats to stop that happening two games from the end of the season?
The fact that neither team will know what the finished points of the season will be.
United were within a chance of qualifying for the top four i cant find a quote from the FA in the report expressing a concern.
The difference with a top team needing points to get in the playoffs, and playing a lower team, is that the top team would probably play for the win regardless. A more comparable example would be two top teams playing each other, and both needing one point for the top 4. But missing out on the top 4 isn't as big a deal as avoiding relegation.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The fact that neither team will know what the finished points of the season will be.
The difference with a top team needing points to get in the playoffs, and playing a lower team, is that the top team would probably play for the win regardless. A more comparable example would be two top teams playing each other, and both needing one point for the top 4. But missing out on the top 4 isn't as big a deal as avoiding relegation.

I see your point, but two teams could still fix a result with two games of the season to go.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Not last season they weren't, with a game to go they were 6 points behind 5th place.

What if the Liverpool game was postponed for some reason and rescheduled for a week later. Brighton had to win by two clear goals to stay up and Liverpool played a weakened team as they were in the CL final ten days later. If Brighton won, you can bet there'd be serious protests from the side that went down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here