Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Safe Standing update

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
We could be seeing SS in the PL by the end of the season according to this. This article is bias towards the SS approach, coming from a firm that makes the kit, but there is a bit from THFC about bringing it in. Not bothering wth a poll, I know opinions are divided. Could help the NS create a bit more noise/atmosphere though?

https://talksport.com/football/prem...-areas-could-be-installed-summer-180125269989

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
We could be seeing SS in the PL by the end of the season according to this. This article is bias towards the SS approach, coming from a firm that makes the kit, but there is a bit from THFC about bringing it in. Not bothering wth a poll, I know opinions are divided. Could help the NS create a bit more noise/atmosphere though?

https://talksport.com/football/prem...-areas-could-be-installed-summer-180125269989
Definitely scope for some sort of a re-jig at The Amex to create a proper section for the young at heart to stand together and make their noise. The original idea of spreading the stand & sing lot across the whole width of the back rows of the NS has not worked very well.

Whether it can be done or not is another question but it would be a good thing.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Would cost a few quid with NO increase in crowd size, as previously mentioned by PB. ST price increase anyone?

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2016/october/albion-to-look-at-safe-standing/

Nothing in that article that would suggest money ROI is an obstacle, just the legislation standing in the way of the club needing to seriously consider it as an option, then safety being the next priority. There is an option, which is used in Europe where you can get 2 for 1 or 3 for every 2, which would increase capacity a little, but it's unclear as to whether this would be adopted in the PL. Celtic have taken the 1 for 1 option and the club reports are glowing - better atmosphere, more noise etc. Would be great in the NS.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Nothing in that article that would suggest money ROI is an obstacle, just the legislation standing in the way of the club needing to seriously consider it as an option, then safety being the next priority. There is an option, which is used in Europe where you can get 2 for 1 or 3 for every 2, which would increase capacity a little, but it's unclear as to whether this would be adopted in the PL. Celtic have taken the 1 for 1 option and the club reports are glowing - better atmosphere, more noise etc. Would be great in the NS.

I appear to have misunderstood this part.

ses.JPG

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Definitely scope for some sort of a re-jig at The Amex to create a proper section for the young at heart to stand together and make their noise. The original idea of spreading the stand & sing lot across the whole width of the back rows of the NS has not worked very well.

Whether it can be done or not is another question but it would be a good thing.

My thoughts exactly. A curved section across the back and down the sides in the NS would let sitters munch on the prawn sarnies while the rest behind them party on.

Jan 30, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJDWKvsmhss
regards
DR

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I appear to have misunderstood this part.

View attachment 93945

Yes. They are talking about not reducing prices for standing and how the funding might be worked out. Nothing about 'we need to make money from this'. They would have to justify the spend as being in the best interests of the club/supporters IMHO.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Yes. They are talking about not reducing prices for standing and how the funding might be worked out. Nothing about 'we need to make money from this'. They would have to justify the spend as being in the best interests of the club/supporters IMHO.

So, would fans in other areas of the ground be expected to contribute?

Oct 25, 2003
We won’t be one of the forerunners in this in my view- maybe we’ll follow the crowd a bit further down the line but the club don’t sound overly keen on it to be honest

Am I right in saying that Shrewsbury are installing a safe standing area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Even if safe standing is passed for use in the Premier League I can’t see us bringing it in.

Bloom and Barber said as much after the general ‘meh’ response when they were surveying customers and the fact that only a handful of people turned up to a forum about it ?

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
So, from what you are saying, those wishing to be in such an area would face an increase to cover the cost?

Nope. Not at all. I'm saying that a financial ROI, (fans paying for it) is not a major factor in the decision making process. This may transpire as an issue if the club want to go down that road, we will see. ATM SS does not look likely to be even considered at BHA because there is no real reason to change, according to TB and co.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Apparently they already canvassed opinion from fans and the response was far far from positive towards it.

Was ruled out.

We wont see it at the Amex anytime soon

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Apparently they already canvassed opinion from fans and the response was far far from positive towards it.

Was ruled out.

We wont see it at the Amex anytime soon

Where did you see this?

The only thing I heard was that not many people responded to the email and not very many people turned up to the forum (I didn't even know there was one).

The issue is, a large part of the North (where it will potentially be installed) already stand. So they're not likely to be negative about it are they? Neither are they going to make much effort to campaign for something they already do every other week.

As for the rest of the ground, it's no real business of theirs unless they a) plan on moving to a more passionate section or b) prices will be increased across the board to fund it.

I see absolutely no reason to oppose safe-standing other than for some people who maybe shouldn't be in the North in the first place. I realise this statement may cause some faux outrage by those who, well, love to be outraged by anything particularly when an area is set off-limits to them. But there has to be somewhere in the ground that has cheaper pricing and to be (legally) able to stand there, sing and be active which is what the younger generation like and some of us not so young too.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
. But there has to be somewhere in the ground that has cheaper pricing and to be (legally) able to stand there, sing and be active which is what the younger generation like and some of us not so young too.

What makes you think it will be cheaper to stand, there will be exactly the same amount of standing spaces as there were seats before so why would the club reduce its income

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
What makes you think it will be cheaper to stand, there will be exactly the same amount of standing spaces as there were seats before so why would the club reduce its income

Bloom already said if it DID happen the cost wouldnt/couldnt be reduced, it'd be like you said the same allocation
What actually needs to make it happen to be safe standing (in an infrastructure way), would they take the seats out and put some kind of other bits in

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Bloom already said if it DID happen the cost wouldnt/couldnt be reduced, it'd be like you said the same allocation
What actually needs to make it happen to be safe standing (in an infrastructure way), would they take the seats out and put some kind of other bits in

They would remove the seats in put in rail seating where the seats are locked upright

_90420708_safestanding.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here