Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Whisky in the freezer

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Good idea or bad? I ask as I bought a bottle today which suggests placing in the freezer for a while before serving, to allow the warmth in the mouth to release the flavours.

Well fellow whisky drinkers, what's your thoughts?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Heresy!

But if you like it, go ahead. Some people like mixing it with lemonade, after all - and that's their business too. Although it's heresy............................

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Dalwhinnie's Winter Gold - just got my bottle out of the freezer after 2 hours, got to say it's different and rather nice.

Not sure I trust leaving in the freezer permanently though!

Dalwhinnie! Stayed there once, highest village in the highlands. Blooming cold even in August but the whiskey is sublime!

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Never tried that process before. I've always favoured a single malt on ice (which has a similar effect, but there probably is a difference in taste from the two different processes).

I certainly wouldn't leave the bottle in there permanently. It might be better to put smaller amounts in freezer as and when you need.

Tell us if it's a taste sensation.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's what I thought, I never add anything to my whisky but was just intrigued by this...

I have fond memories of a small pub in Edinburgh in the 70s. They had a superb range of malts behind the bar. If you asked for anything other than a drop of water with them, however, you were politely but firmly asked to leave.
(If you took your girlfriend there with you, the response would be, "If the lady would care to take a seat in the 'other' room (the one without a bar in it), you can take her drink through to her, sir!")

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Small amount of water helps bring out the flavours, although not in all whisky. Never tried a bottle out of the freezer though.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Never tried that process before. I've always favoured a single malt on ice (which has a similar effect, but there probably is a difference in taste from the two different processes).

I certainly wouldn't leave the bottle in there permanently. It might be better to put smaller amounts in freezer as and when you need.

Tell us if it's a taste sensation.

Never liked the idea of the ice watering my whisky down, so this gets the chill without taking anything from the drink...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
left in the freezer permenantly its likly the water and alcohol will seperate, certainly happens with beer.

you're being asked to chill the whisky. the thing chilling does is dull and reduce flavour by deadening esters and somthing else. seems very daft for a whisky unless theres some harshness that gets hidden.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
left in the freezer permenantly its likly the water and alcohol will seperate, certainly happens with beer.

you're being asked to chill the whisky. the thing chilling does is dull and reduce flavour by deadening esters and somthing else. seems very daft for a whisky unless theres some harshness that gets hidden.

Yep, thats what i had read, which is why i thought id give it a try. It was on offer at Asda for £26 so didnt think it too much of a gamble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here