Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ESU and WSU open for Coventry game

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't know, this game has a completely different FEEL to it compared to the Palace game, for loads of reasons, so I always expected at least one of the upper tiers to open from the outset.

I agree, but I can also understand why the club took a more cautious approach at the outset.

Like Chris Hughton though, the handbrake could have been released a tad earlier.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Looking forward to the upper tier Mexican wave to thank us lower tier heroes that enabled ESU to open

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Ultimately the club have made some very sensible financial decisions based on the ticket purchases they have witness from the fans.
The whole point of this thread is that they precisely HAVEN'T done that. They made a completely wrong call on the demand for tickets for this match and it will now COST THE CLUB MONEY. Directly because they will sell fewer tickets than they could have done and indirectly because they have missed a chance to delight their customers.

Barber has told us they were influenced by the Palace game.

Why weren't they influenced by the Arsenal FA Cup game that could have sold out the whole stadium twice over? It was about as relevant.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The big deal is that until today, some people saw they could not buy tickets where they wanted and some of these, being a cup game, are not regulars. Some won’t check again and many won’t be aware of this thread.

Some people can’t do stairs. As the lower bowl is now virtually sold out, this policy now prevents those who are unable to do want to do stairs who may have booked next week.

Despite the club having large family area for league games, pairs of seats sold out in the family area long ago, meaning the only option was to be on the wings, adjacent to the away fans. A point of note, there is still no designated family availability, despite the shelf being available.

When the club make a boo boo, who do you suggest we aim our feedback at?

Yeah, OK. If they so DESPERATELY wanted to go to the game – and avoid stairs – the tickets for the lower stands have been on sale for AGES. And as for no pair of seats in the family areas – there were still some available when I looked yesterday!

What, exactly, has the club done wrong – apart from not doing what you wanted it to (or thought it SHOULD) do?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
ESU had better be a WALL of noise - people standing, jumping and singing all game, after the FUSS you lot have made :thumbsup:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The whole point of this thread is that they precisely HAVEN'T done that. They made a completely wrong call on the demand for tickets for this match and it will now COST THE CLUB MONEY. Directly because they will sell fewer tickets than they could have done and indirectly because they have missed a chance to delight their customers.

Why weren't they influenced by the Arsenal FA Cup game that could have sold out the whole stadium twice over? It was about as relevant.

How many fans are that petty that they will not buy a ticket simply because they cannot sit in the WSU. There are another 8 days to go until the match and those who want to go will buy a seat. If we cannot sell 20,000 tickets for a match against another premier league side then I can see why we considered we would sell less to a league 2 side

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Fans didn't turn up in their hoards for the Palace game but the club still paid for a full stadium of catering staff, stewarding staff and all the other different roles that are required on a matchday. Understandably they didn't want to face similar needless expenses in another cup game against a lower league side than the previous poor show, I think they will treat all cup games in a similar fashion from now on as money was wasted.

The only way they could've improved would be to highlight to fans how they would distribute future interest and state that if we got to within 500 tickets in the lower bowl then they planned to then open up the North Shelf followed by East Upper and that WSU would be last.

Ultimately the club have made some very sensible financial decisions based on the ticket purchases they have witness from the fans. Nobody with any sense can criticize the club for trying to save money

:ffsparr:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If we cannot sell 20,000 tickets for a match against another premier league side then I can see why we considered we would sell less to a league 2 side
Do you work for the club? :lolol:

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom

Or the MK Dons game. Or the Reading game...

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
How many fans are that petty that they will not buy a ticket simply because they cannot sit in the WSU. There are another 8 days to go until the match and those who want to go will buy a seat. If we cannot sell 20,000 tickets for a match against another premier league side then I can see why we considered we would sell less to a league 2 side
That highlights exactly why the club got it wrong, ...... Palace was 3rd round, it was evening, it was live on tv, it was after the league game 'trouble'.... always was tonight be a low seller by comparison.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It’s probably been covered but what will the attendance be if the East Upper sells out?

Incidentally, it seems like in the FA Cup actual attendances are announced rather than tickets sold.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
I would have loved to have been in the ticket office this morning...I bet they were pissing their pants on when to push the button to open the ESU...I can see it now...from 9am...shall we, shall we, nah give it 5 mins...funny that they hung it out till 20 past...lol.....

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Incidentally, it seems like in the FA Cup actual attendances are announced rather than tickets sold.

Premier League rule is it is tickets sold. I think outside of the Premier League it is up to the club. Pretty sure we will announce tickets sold number.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
I would have loved to have been in the ticket office this morning...I bet they were pissing their pants on when to push the button to open the ESU...I can see it now...from 9am...shall we, shall we, nah give it 5 mins...funny that they hung it out till 20 past...lol.....

I'd have opened it one block at a time just for fun !

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It’s probably been covered but what will the attendance be if the East Upper sells out?

That will be due to the fact that there would be relatively few no-shows for a game most people had to buy tickets for just a couple of weeks prior to the event.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here