Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jacob Rees-Mogg.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
He's what a stupid person thinks a clever person sounds like

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Talking about Churchill's legacy no doubt.

that would make some sense. shame the lady made a challenge on emotional/uninformed grounds, easily batted away. had she raise the question why the Boers needed protecting and from whom (British destroying their farms i believe), dont think Rees-Moog would have been so comfortable.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Darth Mogg is who the Tory’s use to test the public’s susceptibility to more and more extreme policies. I’m not joking.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
that would make some sense. shame the lady made a challenge on emotional/uninformed grounds, easily batted away. had she raise the question why the Boers needed protecting and from whom (British destroying their farms i believe), dont think Rees-Moog would have been so comfortable.

Do you also feel so strongly about what is happening to Boer farmers now in South Africa, or only when the British did it? I really think a principle has to be applied fairly and without prejudice. The notion that any injustice caused by the British Empire was wrong and ghastly, but that we will turn a blind eye to what is going on now perpetrated by Africans is a double standard. Wrong is wrong is wrong. When you apply double standards people start to disagree with each other and we end up down a rabbit hole of discussion, and all of the injustices continue to happen anyway.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Do you also feel so strongly about what is happening to Boer farmers now in South Africa, or only when the British did it? I really think a principle has to be applied fairly and without prejudice. The notion that any injustice caused by the British Empire was wrong and ghastly, but that we will turn a blind eye to what is going on now perpetrated by Africans is a double standard. Wrong is wrong is wrong. When you apply double standards people start to disagree with each other and we end up down a rabbit hole of discussion, and all of the injustices continue to happen anyway.

i feel that the South Africans are pissing on their own chips and it wont end well for them.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

I refer my right honourable colleague to the brexit thread. There you will witness people who have an opinion which is fact seemly and everyone else is traitor of can **** off and die!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The young woman on the panel demonising Churchill didn’t have a clue what she was talking about and it showed when JRM calmly put her in her place and she went all face pulling and huffy like Kevin the teenager. It was a delight to watch actually.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The young woman on the panel demonising Churchill didn’t have a clue what she was talking about and it showed when JRM calmly put her in her place and she went all face pulling and huffy like Kevin the teenager. It was a delight to watch actually.

Are you referring to the clip in shown in the BBC link posted above? The 'young woman' seems to be understandably taken aback by JRM comparing Boer war concentration camps to Glasgow.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
[tweet]1096354829662908418[/tweet]

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Are you referring to the clip in shown in the BBC link posted above? The 'young woman' seems to be understandably taken aback by JRM comparing Boer war concentration camps to Glasgow.

It was an idiotic question and debate as so many commented, no point replicating on here. People be far wiser reading Lukas, Jenkins, Roberts and others before casting judgement.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Barkley's problem is that by continually referring to concentration camps she is creating a comparison to what the Nazis did. She also referred to the thousands that died and stated it was systematic murder, which it clearly wasn't.

By all means criticize things that happened in the past but when you do so, do so from the point of view of the time in which decisions were made, not from the benefit of our cosy, educated world of the 21st century.

For what it's worth, I can't stand JRM.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Barkley's problem is that by continually referring to concentration camps she is creating a comparison to what the Nazis did. She also referred to the thousands that died and stated it was systematic murder, which it clearly wasn't.

By all means criticize things that happened in the past but when you do so, do so from the point of view of the time in which decisions were made, not from the benefit of our cosy, educated world of the 21st century.

As the historian whose tweet I posted earlier said, we don't have to judge it from the standards of our time, we can listen to people who were there.

"Rees-Mogg says we mustn't make judgments "from the comfort of 2019". We don't have to. Emily Hobhouse, who exposed the camps at the time, accused Kitchener of "a degradation both to the office & the manhood of your soldiers. I feel ashamed to own you as a fellow-countryman." "

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

[TWEET]1096355803987132417[/TWEET]

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

"The lady" got a first class degree in PPE from Oxford and then read African Studies at St Antony's college. But I'm sure you know better :bowdown:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here