Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do you worry less when Brighton are a bit rubbish?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I certainly do. I'm relatively stress-free to the point that I'm really looking forward to the game tomorrow. I call it 'reassuringly crap'.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I think your ‘life long fan' is less of a worrier because they will always be there whatever the clubs position. They enjoy travelling to lower league grounds as much if not more than the big clubs. They know that relegation is not the end of the world and are pretty chilled as a result. Having said all that I do have a little bit of sick when I think of tomorrow.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I dont Buzzer
It annoys me cos one of my few pleasures at the moment is looking forward to a stream or TV game and it actually bothers me that it's gonna be a let down on what is a highlight of my shite week whilst stuff goes on.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I think your ‘life long fan' is less of a worrier because they will always be there whatever the clubs position. They enjoy travelling to lower league grounds as much if not more than the big clubs. They know that relegation is not the end of the world and are pretty chilled as a result. Having said all that I do have a little bit of sick when I think of tomorrow.

Hey there, life long fan here!

I am absolutely shitting it when we're crap in the PL, for these next few games especially. When we're crap I worry more not less. The PL is our key to survival. We have been told time and again that we CANNOT run this club in the Championship at a profit. It is not going to happen. As someone that grew up on the mid to late 90s as his first taste of Albion our survival as a football club comes first and in order to be at our most comfortable, we need to stay in the PL.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I am not worried but I'm a bit concerned that we may be sleepwalking into relegation. I'd prefer us to go out with a bang rather than a wimpey (to missquote JCC) but either way it won't be the end of the world (to missquote JCC again).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SmM5ygFOso

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I would say I'm less worried now that we're a bit shit. HOWEVER I'm still in a rubbish mood after a defeat. That will never change, no matter how expected the defeat is.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Very fair point. I also enjoy my football more when I've not got one eye on where Palace are and that season they were promoted and we lost out was just horrible. I was hoping for just one season in the PL without Palace but them being absolute pants (so far) has been the next best thing.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I got very stressed in Slade's Great Escape season, in Hughton's relegation escape season, and the goal difference season two years ago. There were times when I was holding my breath, closing my eyes, or even going to the toilet, when the tension go too bad.
I only did that once last season and that was QPR away. I was watching it on tv at home, and when they got one back, I went into the garden until the game ended.

This season, I feel ok, and not panicking. It's more Que Sera, what will be, will be.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I got very stressed in Slade's Great Escape season, in Hughton's relegation escape season

I took myself out of the picture for that particular scenario completely. I swerved a home game at the end of Jan '09 to go to a Reading v QPR game with friends and miraculously Brighton won (we beat Hartlepool 2-1) so I realised it was me that was the jinx for that season. I didn't attend a single home game thereafter and Hiney and his lad took my tickets. We stayed up, Slade took all the credit and my part in the Great Escape has never been given the credit it deserves. Que sera.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Nope.

Kids born in the Mid seventies like myself had our first few childhood years in the top tier and fa cup final.
Anything less is a disappointment. I remember singing we'll be back in 84 and meaning it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I took myself out of the picture for that particular scenario completely. I swerved a home game at the end of Jan '09 to go to a Reading v QPR game with friends and miraculously Brighton won (we beat Hartlepool 2-1) so I realised it was me that was the jinx for that season. I didn't attend a single home game thereafter and Hiney and his lad took my tickets. We stayed up, Slade took all the credit and my part in the Great Escape has never been given the credit it deserves. Que sera.

Although it was painful and stressful, the away games at Hereford and Bristol Rovers will stay in my memory all the time I'm alive. They were great times.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I've always given Slade tons of credit for that. Plus he was a good bloke.

My young son's introduction to the Albion was a 3-1 home loss to Swindon with about 4 or 5 more games to go. After that loss, we were something like 1/10 odds on to go down.

Then we won about 3 or 4 games plus a draw? To somehow survive.

The first of many pitch invasions.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've always given Slade tons of credit for that. Plus he was a good bloke.

Slade was indeed a great bloke. Was that the year Andy Whing won player of the season? Always remember that MK Dons game where we all sang his name loud and proud.

They say the final league table never lies but we ended up finishing 16th in the league that year and if I recall correctly, at one point during the final game we were in the relegation places. I could be remembering this completely wrong but the match Leeds were playing that day was a crucial result.

Capture.jpg

16th! How the bloody hell did we finish that high up?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Slade was indeed a great bloke. Was that the year Andy Whing won player of the season? Always remember that MK Dons game where we all sang his name loud and proud.

They say the final league table never lies but we ended up finishing 16th in the league that year and if I recall correctly, at one point during the final game we were in the relegation places. I could be remembering this completely wrong but the match Leeds were playing that day was a crucial result.

Capture.jpg

16th! How the bloody hell did we finish that high up?

We climbed several places on that final Saturday.

That was a lovely sunny day in every way.

That mini survival cameo, got my son hooked on the Albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here