Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Prostate Cancer

abc

Jan 6, 2007
More men now dying from prostate cancer (news today) than women from breast cancer. The funding available for sceening/diagnosis and research is HALF for prostate cancer compared to that for breast cancer.

Can you imagine the outrage if this was the other way around? But it doesn't matter because women in the BBC are you going to be paid more now.......

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
More men now dying from prostate cancer (news today) than women from breast cancer. The funding available for sceening/diagnosis and research is HALF for prostate cancer compared to that for breast cancer.

Can you imagine the outrage if this was the other way around? But it doesn't matter because women in the BBC are you going to be paid more now.......

You know men can get breast cancer to, sorry to spoil your strange outrage

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Somethings got to get you.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Good morning.

The funding has been roughly half for years and reflected breast cancers greater efficacy back then.
The funding gap has been raiding over time and will continue to do so (see official figures).
The reason that Prostate now kills more is largely due to a) the lower death rate in breast, b) aging population (it hits 10-15 years later on average) and c) and effect of the funding on breast you're moaning about.

I know I shouldn't bite but trying to drive gender divisions out of CANCER is pretty low even for the rag that has front page splashed this today.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Even by their standards, this is a new low by The Daily Mail -

_99852940_dm-frontpage-2feb2018.jpg

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
When I took my old Dad to the consultant re his prostate cancer the chap told us in no uncertain terms that their was not the funding for prostate cancer and many other types of cancer and with a sigh said "if only other cancers had the same funding that breast cancer got "when I said really, he said "you only have to compare the waiting rooms and facilities to get a general idea " Not my words but one of a highly regarded consultant with over twenty years experience .

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Even by their standards, this is a new low by The Daily Mail -

View attachment 93735

I read this on the BBC website first thing this morning. If I'd known the mail were going to do this I probably wouldn't have posted! Sorry if it came across this way but not trying to use cancer as a weapon. I guess I'm getting fed up with the seemingly anti men narrative (by some) that is pervading. I bit and probably picked the wrong moment.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
The implication of a gender conflict/bias on funding/research/treatment of one cancer over another in a sensationalised headline.

Fair enough. I do not see it like that. The reason why I disagree is because I read the headline as a question. The first word being "Is" and a "?" at the end.

But I understand why some people would agree with you.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Fair enough. I do not see it like that. The reason why I disagree is because I read the headline as a question. The first word being "Is" and a "?" at the end.

But I understand why some people would agree with you.

I saw the headline in exactly the same way as you.

It is an important issue and just because the Daily Mail prints the story doesn't make the question worthless.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

As the old newspaper adage has it: if the headline is a question then the answer is always 'no'.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Low testosterone.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You know men can get breast cancer to, sorry to spoil your strange outrage
That's not really relevant to the argument, since breast cancer affect 100 times more women. The general point (ignoring the stupid comment about wages) is that:
"men now dying from prostate cancer than women from breast cancer, yet the funding available for sceening/diagnosis and research is HALF for prostate cancer compared to that for breast cancer."

It's a good point to raise.

On a side note, I enjoy checking my wife for breast cancer more than she enjoys checking me for prostate cancer. I'm selfless.

Altered State

Feb 19, 2008
Olney, Bucks
Let's not miss what's important here. If you suspect something is wrong go to your GP and get checked. Yes, it's embarrassing. But please don't do the male thing and avoid getting checked until it's too late.

Well done to CH and all the other managers/players who wear the man badge whenever they can.

(And that is a horrible Mail headline, but no surprise there).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here