Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] M25/m1

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
M25 I believe is specific junctions, but do include the M23 and Reigate junctions. Forgot all about it this morning. Shall wait and see. So they have cameras upon cameras now on the M25, must make a roaring trade.

larus

M25 I believe is specific junctions, but do include the M23 and Reigate junctions. Forgot all about it this morning. Shall wait and see. So they have cameras upon cameras now on the M25, must make a roaring trade.

I just read some articles and it seems that the smart motorways are going to be ‘always on’ cameras and enforcing 70mph. This, to me, seems ludicrous. 70mph is a stupid limit for modern cars - it was introduced my Barbara Castle in the 60/70’s sometime.

If they want to enforce something, then set a realistic ‘modern’ limit of 80mph. It’s not dangerous and was being discussed before the ‘green’ lobby starting moaning about environmental concerns. That seems odd as Germany is greener than us, yet their limit on the autobahns is whatever you want it to be it seems.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I just read some articles and it seems that the smart motorways are going to be ‘always on’ cameras and enforcing 70mph. This, to me, seems ludicrous. 70mph is a stupid limit for modern cars - it was introduced my Barbara Castle in the 60/70’s sometime.

If they want to enforce something, then set a realistic ‘modern’ limit of 80mph. It’s not dangerous and was being discussed before the ‘green’ lobby starting moaning about environmental concerns. That seems odd as Germany is greener than us, yet their limit on the autobahns is whatever you want it to be it seems.

I like the French idea of variable speed limits, depending on weather conditions. 80mph in fine weather, but down to 68mph in adverse conditions.

I also like the idea that lorries cannot overtake each other on upward gradients.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I like the French idea of variable speed limits, depending on weather conditions. 80mph in fine weather, but down to 68mph in adverse conditions.

I also like the idea that lorries cannot overtake each other on upward gradients.

This sooo much. I travel the M11 quite a bit and it takes some lorries hours to overtake each other on the two lane sections !!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I also like the idea that lorries cannot overtake each other on upward gradients.[/QUOTE

That is too easy for us to do and make law. You do not take into account the drivers who want to get home for th.eir tea.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010

From my experience of driving on UK motorways 95% of the population can't get their head around only moving out of the inside lane only when over taking. I can imagine having a speed limit thats dependent on weather would melt their brains!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

There were 8,000 road deaths per year in the mid sixties. Do we want to go back to those levels?

A lot of things were done before the green lobby started "moaning", like making a big hole in the ozone layer. Then people realised that we live in the environment that we're pumping pollution into, as will future generations, so it's perhaps not wise to destroy it. Driving at 80 uses far more fuel than 70 - that said there is some leniancy and I think the current situation is probably about right. That said they may be able to raise the speed limit when much cleaner cars become the norm.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Far too sensible for the incompetents who run UK PLC.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Makes you sick. They have these cameras and intelligence for speeding and parking tickets but catching a rapist or paedophile and they struggle.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
There were 8,000 road deaths per year in the mid sixties. Do we want to go back to those levels?

A lot of things were done before the green lobby started "moaning", like making a big hole in the ozone layer. Then people realised that we live in the environment that we're pumping pollution into, as will future generations, so it's perhaps not wise to destroy it. Driving at 80 uses far more fuel than 70 - that said there is some leniancy and I think the current situation is probably about right. That said they may be able to raise the speed limit when much cleaner cars become the norm.

And seat belts weren't compulsory then, and car construction was far less robust than it is today.

And what difference do you think it will make considering your latter point? Everyone in the outside lane of a motorway does 80 anyway. If a dickhead wants to do 120 in the outside lane this isn't going to stop them

By all means be environmentally aware but your defence is spurious to say the least.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Indeed. Nothing clogs up motorways like a lorry in the inside lane doing 40mph being overtaken by a lorry in the middle lane doing 40.0001mph

EDIT: And back on topic the speed limit doesn't worry me as not having had a car for so long I drive like a retired vicar these days.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
And seat belts weren't compulsory then, and car construction was far less robust than it is today.

And what difference do you think it will make considering your latter point? Everyone in the outside lane of a motorway does 80 anyway. If a dickhead wants to do 120 in the outside lane this isn't going to stop them

By all means be environmentally aware but your defence is spurious to say the least.

That's simple. As you say - at present everyone does 80. If they raised the speed limit to 80 I've no doubt everyone would do 90.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here