Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our transfer activity versus our rivals

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What's the consensus, have we done enough? Who has done more than us?

Last edited:

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Our problem this season has been a lack of goals. We have bought in two strikers into the squad. Only time will tell if we have it right.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The proof is in the pudding. An additional two strikers is what we required and now we have them, let's hope they do the business. As for puddings, well we've had enough of those up front to enter Masterchef.
Those 'puddings' got us promotion to the PL.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
I'm happy. Important that we haven't lost any of our key players. Looking forward to Southampton tonight followed by an exciting and hopefully successful run in. Time to get behind the team.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I think its ok.
We certainly have not over gambled, so if we do go down we won't be lumbered with huge wage bill etc.. I hope Ulloa will bang in a few.
Newcastle and Huddersfield have not done much, Palace have done nothing so far. West Brom getting Sturridge is huge. Stoke have kept hold of Crouch so they are probably happy. Southampton are definitely splashing the cash so maybe its a good time to play them before all the signings settle in

Kylegreen-1

Jan 4, 2018
Near Tunbridge wells
In some ways yes cos most of the teams around us weren’t able to get a striker and we got 2 however we could still use reinforcements in some areas so perhaps not completely (CB, CM and maybe a winger)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Possibly.

The striker I wanted would have needed to be a mix of Ulloa & Locadia combing fantastic goal poaching instinct in and around the box with outstanding pace, size and power added to brilliance in the air.

So both of them could rotate to have the desired effect, I’m just gutted that we’re coming up to the 4 most important fixtures left (ones we have a point scoring chance in) and Locadia will miss at least half of these games and probably won’t have settled for the others.

So, still no pace up front for the next few matches [emoji20] but Ulloa makes me very very happy [emoji2]

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Our problem this season has been a lack of pace up top, resulting in a shortfall of goals. Our goals scored to chance create ratio is OK, but without pace we haven't created enough chances.

The question is have we addressed the lack of pace? Leo Ulloa is not lightning quick, however he is more mobile than Murray and Hemed, so this should help. But I hope in Jurgen Locadia we have a solution to our main problem, as a forward converted from a winger he is supposed to be quick. If we can get Jose Izquierdo playing to his best and Jurgen settles quickly then I think we might have the tools to cause Premier League defences more problems than we have until now.

Overall the club has done well, and I think Davy Propper will enjoy having more mobile players in front of him.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Maybe.

Still need a CM who offers something different - ball carrying capability and pace. Sorry but Kayal/Grob slotting in there is a bit square peg round hole for me.

Possibly light in terms of pace on the wing too.

Happy elsewhere l think.

As for comparisons to others:

Huddersfield - got players in early but maybe a bit hit and hope from them, I’d say we’ve trumped them.

Swansea - if they sign Ayew from West Ham AND get a player of Andre Schurle’s quality in (they had agreed to sign on loan but an injury to his replacement coming in scuppered the deal) then we’re way behind the curve with them.

Stoke - irrelevant as they had a good enough squad and the new Manager bounce has worked

WBA - no where near close. They’ve signed guaranteed goals in Sturridge.

Palace - after their upswing in form are they even in the mix?! Probably just about but can see them pulling away now, including doing us over at their place. In terms of transfers they’ve done diddly squat but could argue had a strong enough squad in the first place. Also have Connor Wickham to come back to fitness for the run in.

Newcastle - absolutely we’ve done better than them but that only accounts for one of the relegation places so meh.

I’d give us a B- overall. We tried, didn’t break the bank, but ultimately feels like we’re erring on the side of caution and hoping a bit

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here