Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will the lack of a “new manager bounce” be what costs us in the end?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Been talking with a few non Albion supporting guys tonight and all think we are doomed. They all think that admirable though it is to keep Hughton regardless of results and they see the logic they think that this alone will send us down, because it so tight that not achieving the new manager bonus of 6-9 points may cost us.

Frankly I don’t care, I’d stick by Hughton regardless because he is the best man to bring us back up. But do they have a point? Are we going to miss out due to not using the manager booster button?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
The combined squad + management ability is what determines a clubs position at the end of the season, in my opinion.

I don't believe the 'The New Manager Bounce' is a real thing, nor will it magically grant us 6-9 points due to a new appointment.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Will the lack of a “new manager bounce” be what costs us in the end?
Like when Roy joined the scum and they proceeded to lose 4 on the bounce without scoring? No.

They all think that admirable though it is to keep Hughton regardless of results and they see the logic they think that this alone will send us down, because it so tight that not achieving the new manager bonus of 6-9 points may cost us.
A new manager doesn't get you 6-9 points. Do they not think that failing to get a striker before late February might have something to do with it?

Frankly I don’t care, I’d stick by Hughton regardless because he is the best man to bring us back up. But do they have a point?
No.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
No. They are idiots.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Been talking with a few non Albion supporting guys tonight and all think we are doomed. They all think that admirable though it is to keep Hughton regardless of results and they see the logic they think that this alone will send us down, because it so tight that not achieving the new manager bonus of 6-9 points may cost us.

Frankly I don’t care, I’d stick by Hughton regardless because he is the best man to bring us back up. But do they have a point? Are we going to miss out due to not using the manager booster button?

Where do you get this confident "he is the best man to bring us back up"? I completely disagree, yes he is a good manager at Championship level, but present players WILL move on, if we go down it will be desperate, money will be a massive thing, even if we are doing ok in the Championship we will NOT have full houses every game, it just won't happen, unless we are right up the top doing a Man City! I will state now, I WOULD RATHER STAY UP WITH CH STOPPING AS MANAGER, I DONT WANT HIM GONE! but if we do go down really do expect massive changes, and if I am wrong about CH bringing us straight back up.......I will bounce the thread and be very happy!! sadly I just don't think it will work out like that, we will have to re build under quite harsh conditions, I'm sure Tony Bloom said something along the lines of "we must stay up at all costs" (something like that anyway.....)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

No thanks. There may be something in the 'new manager bounce' syndrome, but I'd rather keep CH to give us the best chance of being a bounce club, should the worst come to the worst.

Besides, who could we get in? Tim f**kin' Sherwood ffs? Or, God forbid, 'Arry..........................................

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

They are all wrong to be so sure, some managers get a bounce, one reason is a renewed motivation in the squad, I don't think we have a problem there, the other is a change in formation or tactics, so the homework the opposition do on your previous games is less useful to them. I think Chris is capable of switching it up a bit, especially with new personnel, the best football under Hughton was after the January window when Knockaert and Skalak joined, maybe Locadia and Ulloa will have a similar effect.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Good question.

Here's a link to an article on the whether the new manager bounce actually exists or whether it is, in fact, just coincidence.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/why-a-new-manager-bounce-is-only-for-christmas-not-for-life

The parting comment was "perhaps, then, the answer lies not in relying on an injection of new blood every time crisis looms but rather a club taking the time and calmness to find the right man and entrusting in him to eventually find the magic formula."

Improvement through continuity rather than wholesale change is what's advocated.

I'd go for that and I hope so would most supporters as well as TB.

We've got the right man in charge.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Where do you get this confident "he is the best man to bring us back up"? I completely disagree, yes he is a good manager at Championship level, but present players WILL move on, if we go down it will be desperate, money will be a massive thing, even if we are doing ok in the Championship we will NOT have full houses every game, it just won't happen, unless we are right up the top doing a Man City! I will state now, I WOULD RATHER STAY UP WITH CH STOPPING AS MANAGER, I DONT WANT HIM GONE! but if we do go down really do expect massive changes, and if I am wrong about CH bringing us straight back up.......I will bounce the thread and be very happy!! sadly I just don't think it will work out like that, we will have to re build under quite harsh conditions, I'm sure Tony Bloom said something along the lines of "we must stay up at all costs" (something like that anyway.....)

I tend to agree with this, although I fully understand where [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] is coming from here.

It's not as simple as it appears.

Personally, my head says we'll go back down, but to be honest, it's not the end of the bloody world.

The Albion just is, errr, The Albion.....

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
The failure to bring in a striker in the summer, several of the missed opportunities in home games and some of the decisions tactically throughout the season that backfired are what could cost us, as well as established teams around us having more financial muscle and having better quality amongst their ranks. The new manager bounce phenomenon is inconclusive, it exists in some cases and doesn't in others

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
NOTHING'S going to 'cost us in the end'. For the first time this season, the manager's been given the tools to do the job i.e. the couple of strikers we've all been crying out for. Will be massively surprised if we haven't turned the corner now. At the very least, we've given ourselves a fighting chance. As a wise man once said, Keep The Faith! :albion:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Are all these people long term fans of Prem clubs? Are their eyes blinkered by the idea that being in the Prem is the be all and end all of football? If so then they are guilty of stupidity of the ill informed type, if not then they are just mistaken. What might take us down is the failure to secure a striker or two last summer, if we had achieved this then we would have more points right now, more confidence and more hope of getting the required total.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I know, let's sack Hughton and bring in a new man, get our mythical 6-9 points bounce, then sack the new manager and reappointment Hughton and get another new manager bounce. That should see us into the Europa league places... :lolol:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Because stable clubs aren't good football clubs. We need to be a basket case like, Sunderland, Hull, Boro and then of course the managerial changes in our division, at least once since the season started, Swansea, Stoke, WBA, Southampton constantly at the end of a season, all currently below us. We need that current boost like a hole in the head. You're either trying to make an interesting reaction thread start or you have armchair muppet fans for friends.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If you take a look at the academic and statistical research done into the ‘New manager bounce’ theory, it can be summed up in one word, ‘Bollocks’.

D

Deleted member 2719

If you take a look at the academic and statistical research done into the ‘New manager bounce’ theory, it can be summed up in one word, ‘Bollocks’.

So are you saying 99% of clubs get it wrong and haven't researched this?

If we dont win the 12 pointer against the saints tonight, i say its booster button time.

I can spend a few hour re-train the squads brain to the 'best form of defence is attack', Warren Aspinall can be my no 2.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here