Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] America and guns

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I've been prompted to start this after watching BBC4's Storyville: Trophy: The Big Game Hunting Controversy (iPlayer for 29 days).

If you're on Facebook, the 'Responsible gun owner of the day' page makes for grim reading. Very grim reading. Murder/suicides and young children being killed accidentally.

The Storyville was not just about Americans but of course they featured.
Weird - someone shouting "yeah mother f*cker" after slotting an incapacitated crocodile at point blank range.
Mindnumbing - an otherwise likeable fella sobbing after slotting a baited lion, but tears of happiness.
Sickening - the noises coming from and time taken for a slotted elephant to snuff it (same shooter as lion).
Depressing - the 'crying' of a calf rhino circling its poached, no not the cooking type, mother.

Guns to so many of them seem as worthy of mention as do cups of tea to us.

Does anyone see any hope? I'm in two minds abut recommending the Storyville.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Guns gave them their country, it would still be ours without them. There is no hope for America in removing the love of Guns.

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
It really is a mess. Michael Moore's: Bowling for columbine addressed this issue over 15 years ago.

His straight to the point documentary signalling American gun laws was way before the global recognition.

His reward? Hated by most of his compatriots.

None the less, tis a great watch.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What would they use when the apocalypse strikes though

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
There is a growing movement for gun ownership in the UK that I remember reading about for similar reasons.

When you have a criminal fraternity that is saturated with arms youve got FA chance of getting people to give up their arms, worse, those without arms will rediscover a need for them.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There is a growing movement for gun ownership in the UK that I remember reading about for similar reasons.

When you have a criminal fraternity that is saturated with arms youve got FA chance of getting people to give up their arms, worse, those without arms will rediscover a need for them.

:facepalm:
:fishing:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
It really is a mess. Michael Moore's: Bowling for columbine addressed this issue over 15 years ago.

His straight to the point documentary signalling American gun laws was way before the global recognition.

His reward? Hated by most of his compatriots.

None the less, tis a great watch.

And it's got Teenage Fanclub covering Camper Van Beethoven 's 'Take the Skinheads Bowling' on the soundtrack.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Just because i dont agree with the official narrative does not mean an objection to it is without merit. Must be scary for you on a public forum away from your safe space but thats the real world.

http://www.people-press.org/2014/12/10/growing-public-support-for-gun-rights/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/9446474/UK-gun-owners.html

You post an article that's three years old and the report from the telegraph doesn't say much.

Your original post was designed to suggest that there are growing numbers of people in the UK looking for american style gun laws which is not the case.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just because i dont agree with the official narrative does not mean an objection to it is without merit. Must be scary for you on a public forum away from your safe space but thats the real world.
Do you regret your choice of username? Kinda gives the game away too easily.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Don't know if you're just joking, but obviously it wouldn't, that was over 200 years ago.

Maybe not, a whole lot of world history would be quite different, but America was a major force in dismantling the British Empire, if it had remained part of it, perhaps the World wars would have been shorter, or Germany would not have had the balls to have a go in the first place.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe not, a whole lot of world history would be quite different, but America was a major force in dismantling the British Empire, if it had remained part of it, perhaps the World wars would have been shorter, or Germany would not have had the balls to have a go in the first place.
The French could have just armed the yanks if they weren't armed already (the French did help them). We had the Napoleonic wars shortly after, we weren't really going to be fighting the Americans all through that.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The French could have just armed the yanks if they weren't armed already (the French did help them). We had the Napoleonic wars shortly after, we weren't really going to be fighting the Americans all through that.

Yeah, you've just given them all guns again, and a reason to love them, if all they had were pitchforks, I think we could have managed it. Hence the love of guns.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

http://www.people-press.org/2014/12/10/growing-public-support-for-gun-rights/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/9446474/UK-gun-owners.html

The official narrative is about the growing popularity of shooting as a sport. You can conflate the two issues all you like but it doesn't make you right.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Is any of this statement factual or true?

Where is this growing movement for UK gun ownership, unless you mean arming the police?

daveybgtt

May 12, 2010
North Sompting
It will never go away, it's very easy to criticise and I think their "love" of guns is ridiculous. BUT would I want one handy in a home invasion type scenario? would you? I think the answer is yes unfortunately.

I was watching that SAS programme on channel 4 last night, and one of the guys had to listen to his wife get stabbed to death in front of their kids over the phone after a schizophrenic broke in, do you think she wished she had a gun? Of course the argument would be that the murderer would have also had a gun and we go round and round in circles with no answer, basically what the internet was invented for.

I do think more UK police should be armed though, obviously with far greater training than they seem to receive in the states.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here