Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Transfer deadline day, is it normal

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
to have a full fixture list? How are the key people meant to close a deal if you have game. CH is in the midlands today and has a match tomorrow for example, makes me feel that the xfer window is a coupla days short (well one day short, wont count today), but that is surely our window and others closed now

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
to have a full fixture list? How are the key people meant to close a deal if you have game. CH is in the midlands today and has a match tomorrow for example, makes me feel that the xfer window is a coupla days short (well one day short, wont count today), but that is surely our window and others closed now

I know a lot of people don't like him but Sam Allardice spoke out strongly about this yesterday on Sky.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it not normal, as normally the last day of the month falls on a non-fixture day. its the same for all clubs so really, and with the real people behind deals (club executives, agents) not involved in playing, i dont think it likley to make much difference.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
its the same for all clubs so really, and with the real people behind deals (club executives, agents) not involved in playing
So you're not including the managers as being important in transfer deals? It's pretty understandable if a player would like to meet with the manager before committing their future to a club.

And it's not the same for all clubs, as not all clubs play on the day, and half of those that do will be playing at home, so can easily meet with prospective players at their facilities.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Didn't the summer one close on a day when International fixtures were happening? It is a bit mental, how are you supposed to get a deal and medical completed if the player/manager is not at their own club?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
It happened a few years ago during our first season at the Amex.. I believe we were at Palace away in January? 1-1 Barnes (pen)?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It was the same last year with Championship fixtures played on 31st January, a Tuesday.

We were scheduled to play Huddersfield that night, but our game was moved to Thursday, meaning we weren't otherwise distracted on the big day.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No such distraction for 6 PL teams who play tonight.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
One of the reasons (probably) that the Vincent Janssen deal didn't go through was that it was being negotiated whilst he was on the pitch for Holland at the time. Last Deadline Day was in middle of a set of international fixtures.

I really don't think that's the case.

I suspect that if Janssen hadn't been playing that night the deal wouldn't have got as far as it did, because he would have had the chance to say "Brighton? **** off!" earlier than he did.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
One of the reasons (probably) that the Vincent Janssen deal didn't go through was that it was being negotiated whilst he was on the pitch for Holland at the time. Last Deadline Day was in middle of a set of international fixtures.

PS: He's had a right old miserable time on loan at Fenerbache
https://talksport.com/football/tott...sen-could-be-set-early-return-fenerbahce-loan

Can’t help but think now with Ulloa on loan we dodged a bullet with Janssen. He is proper dog shit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I really don't think that's the case.

I suspect that if Janssen hadn't been playing that night the deal wouldn't have got as far as it did, because he would have had the chance to say "Brighton? **** off!" earlier than he did.

But, but, but the clubs transfer policy is based on months of hard work and background checks, not just calling around after tea seeing who can play.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bottom of the barrel after our first six targets fell through

It's a shame nobody thought to check the barrel until the Countdown Clock was just about to sound BBBOOOOOWWWWWWW.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So you're not including the managers as being important in transfer deals? It's pretty understandable if a player would like to meet with the manager before committing their future to a club.
not for such a last minute deal. there's plenty of time through the window to arrange a meet up.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
I quite like him but (that aside) what did he have to say?

He was saying he had complained about teams playing on deadline day and how could teams name a playing squad when some might be open to moves to other clubs. basically said premier league had ignored comments from teams ,but of course he was talking about Everton as any manager would. If it had been CH with same comments all would have been in agreement

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here