Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stay up, or win the cup and go down?

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Indeed he is. We've won **** all - the charity shield in 1910 doesn't really count.

Oh don't talk bollox. With all the money Mr Bloom has invested? Love to know what he thinks about relegation.

A poll would show that you are in a very small minority. A hell of a lot of people on this thread are 'wrong' in your opinion.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oh don't talk bollox. With all the money Mr Bloom has invested? Love to know what he thinks about relegation.

A poll would show that you are in a very small minority. A hell of a lot of people on this thread are 'wrong' in your opinion.

Actually I think you're wrong - I reckon it would be a fairly even split. And it's not bollocks, I've supported this club for 40 years and want to see us win a trophy. Relegation doesn't bother me all that much as I reckon we're so well run we'd be back up at some point reasonably soon. And yes, I'm sure Tony Bloom would have a different opinion because he's the money man. But the question wasn't "which option would Tony Bloom prefer?", it was "which option would YOU prefer?"

So in my opinion, you're wrong. Don't go a beetroot colour though eh.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
A poll would be an affront to democracy.

(Cup win over staying up for me by the way)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Actually I think you're wrong - I reckon it would be a fairly even split. And it's not bollocks, I've supported this club for 40 years and want to see us win a trophy. Relegation doesn't bother me all that much as I reckon we're so well run we'd be back up at some point reasonably soon. And yes, I'm sure Tony Bloom would have a different opinion because he's the money man. But the question wasn't "which option would Tony Bloom prefer?", it was "which option would YOU prefer?"

So in my opinion, you're wrong. Don't go a beetroot colour though eh.

Being pedantic, we've won several trophies. We won four whilst at Withdean alone, three championships, and a play off final.

Yes, yes, I know you meant a major trophy.

The difference in just one position in the Prem is £1M for each rung, as opposed to a few hundred thousand for the FA cup.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Being pedantic, we've won several trophies. We won four whilst at Withdean alone, three championships, and a play off final.

Yes, yes, I know you meant a major trophy.

The difference in just one position in the Prem is £1M for each rung, as opposed to a few hundred thousand for the FA cup.

As fans though, it's not about the money (and it's closer to £2M per place in the Premier League). In 20 years time, what would we remember more: Bruno walking up the steps to lift the cup, or finishing 15th again?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As fans though, it's not about the money (and it's closer to £2M per place in the Premier League). In 20 years time, what would we remember more: Bruno walking up the steps to lift the cup, or finishing 15th again?
Exactly this. I'm well aware of how league positioning is more financially rewarding than winning a trophy, but we are FANS and for us it's surely about winning trophies.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Bruno or Lewis Dunk?

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012

Bang on the money. Each to their own, but I would take an FA Cup win with a relegation in a heartbeat.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Thank God - unlike the Brexit debacle, our opinion on this matter makes not a shred of difference to the outcome.

Wait a minute though........

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Two words. Wigan Athletic.

I wonder if they would have traded the 2013 FA Cup win for staying up?

After spending Six years out of the PL the club is down about £100 million...but they are happy. Or are they? I imagine they think that they didn’t have the resources to stay up anyway so having the FA cup in the cabinet gives them immense pride...it would me.

Until them we were the only club to reach the final and get relegated in the same season...difference is, they won...we didn’t.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Nope, Leicester also did it in 1969.

Really? Trivial pursuit used to have a question “which is the only club to reach the FA cup final and get relegated in the same season” I used to amaze my scouse friends by knowing the answer was “Brighton and Hove Albion”

Well I never.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Really? Trivial pursuit used to have a question “which is the only club to reach the FA cup final and get relegated in the same season” I used to amaze my scouse friends by knowing the answer was “Brighton and Hove Albion”

Well I never.
Maybe there was a subtle difference in wording to the question, because there wasn't an "only" club to do that after 1983:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_FA_Cup_Final

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here