Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Being a Premier League Fan

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I have to recount a story.

I was chatting to a season ticket holder at a top six club the other day. I'd been invited to a cup game.

Anyhow, he turns to me and enquires as to what team I follow. Brighton & Hove Albion I say. To which he replies with the question, "What league are you in now? Championship?"

This was not a joke. My jaw dropped a little.

Now this guy was a season ticket holder. He knew tonnes about his own team and was erudite when talking about style of play and analysing the game in front of us.

But it got me to thinking how isolating it is being a Premier League fan, and maybe that's magnified if you are a top six fan.

I started to look at myself and ask myself how much interest have I been paying in the Championship this season, or in League 1 and 2. Has my awareness diminished by being part of the elite crowd? I hope not.

But if you are a fan of a club in the PL, then is it inevitable that you become isolated, unaware, even subconsciously-arrogant?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Not knowing who your team has already played and will play in a current season is staggering.

I often have a look down the leagues if only in the hope of a chuckle about how low down certain clubs are.

kiwigull

Nov 14, 2008
Surely even the most isolated, unaware or arrogant 'fan' knows the teams they'll be up against during the season?! My focus is always on Brighton and the league we are in with maybe a passing interest in the other leagues. Not knowing your opponents is pretty shocking though

larus

I am guilty of getting solely focussed upon Brighton and the league we are in, so I don’t take as much interest in other leagues as other people do. However, I do occasionally glance through the league tables and it is often surprising where some teams are in their leagues.

Funny old game isn’t it. 3 years back we were struggling in the championship, then 2 good years and now a hard season in the Permier League. Yet some of the other, so called’ big teams are still languishing mid/bottom half of the championship.

Jimmy Grimble

I still take an interest in the other leagues although it is mostly driven by gambling (season long bets in particular).

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Seeing as how Reading are pretty close to the relegation places it makes me wonder if it might have been better for us had they made it in the play offs.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I was chatting to a season ticket holder at a top six club the other day. I'd been invited to a cup game.

Anyhow, he turns to me and enquires as to what team I follow. Brighton & Hove Albion I say. To which he replies with the question, "What league are you in now? Championship?"

Now this guy was a season ticket holder. He knew tonnes about his own team and was erudite when talking about style of play and analysing the game in front of us.

But it got me to thinking how isolating it is being a Premier League fan, and maybe that's magnified if you are a top six fan.

I started to look at myself and ask myself how much interest have I been paying in the Championship this season, or in League 1 and 2. Has my awareness diminished by being part of the elite crowd? I hope not.

But if you are a fan of a club in the PL, then is it inevitable that you become isolated, unaware, even subconsciously-arrogant?

No, the guy is an idiot.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Watching the Liverpool game in the pub a guy I know vaguely who I think ‘supports’ Man u asked me if I supported Everton. That was the only reason he could think of for seeing me getting pissed off as the game wore on. Never occurred to him I might support Brighton.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Often get told by people here that they love the Premier.
What team to you support?
Brighton.
What league are they in? :facepalm:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I still keep an eye on all the Championship results and watch quite a few games. Particularly to see how Sheffield United are doing and laugh at the likes of Wednesday :lolol: and Tinpot Reading.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I was chatting to a Chelsea fan who asked me who I supported,this was before we had played them,and I told him Brighton and Hove Albion,he then said "well yeah..but what Premier league team do you support...I mean,you can't just support Brighton?" Priceless!!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Not knowing who your team has already played and will play in a current season is staggering.

I often have a look down the leagues if only in the hope of a chuckle about how low down certain clubs are.

This. I like looking at the shape of tables, seeing if Nathan Jones is getting Luton promoted, hoping Plymouth can stay up, etc etc

Surely if this season ticket holder knows anything about his team, he'll know the scoreline when they played us? Doesn't he know who his team is playing?
I could understand this in October or November, but we've played every team at least once now.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Supporters(or hangers on by association) of the big clubs no nothing of football. Half have no idea who plays for them let alone what is happening at their academy or girls team.
I look at all leagues and keep an eye on results and up and coming talent. I'll even watch park football given the chance. I support Brighton as they're my home town club, but I love football.
Actually, I love Brighton as well so woe betide anyone who should show disrespect:albion2:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Well we've already played and lost against his team at least once. Surely he's a bit unusual, and most STHs would know we're in the same league.

He's worse than isolated, he's clueless.

el punal

I am guilty of getting solely focussed upon Brighton and the league we are in, so I don’t take as much interest in other leagues as other people do. However, I do occasionally glance through the league tables and it is often surprising where some teams are in their leagues.

Funny old game isn’t it. 3 years back we were struggling in the championship, then 2 good years and now a hard season in the Permier League. Yet some of the other, so called’ big teams are still languishing mid/bottom half of the championship.

That may be, but at least you know who all your (Albion) opponents are for the season, irrespective of when you play them.

el punal

Erudite or not, surely he was taking the piss? I mean even the most arrogant fan of the "big six" clubs would know where a pretty certain six points is coming from. Arrogance I can just about accept, ignorance definitely not.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I was chatting to a Chelsea fan who asked me who I supported,this was before we had played them,and I told him Brighton and Hove Albion,he then said "well yeah..but what Premier league team do you support...I mean,you can't just support Brighton?" Priceless!!

There's taking more of an interest in the division that your team is in (which is natural) and then there are morons like this guy and the one in the OP.

Just because the Arsenal bloke is a season ticket holder it proves nothing. Lots of these type of "fans" only go to the games against other "big clubs" so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for him not to even know some of the teams Arsenal play. ****ing idiots, but there we are.

Having said that, having a season ticket and going to every game doesn't automatically mean you know anything about football. As evidenced by some of the utter nonsense you hear trotted out at any game by the most loyal of fans!

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex

A good example of this is the Sunderland fans being delighted with the signing of Lua Lua this week.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here