Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Cost of Loft Conversion?

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Good tradesmen and tradeswomen of NSC,
I've sent a load of emails out to local (Sussex) loft conversion companies for quotes and only had 1 chap so far come back to me and come round to measure up etc, I'm expecting a quote in the next 10 days.

I have a 3 bed end of terrace new build (8 years old) with a truss roof, I'm looking for a staircase over the existing staircase (which I know is possible) up to a single open plan loft bedroom - no bath / shower room with 2 velux windows.
There is plenty of headroom (over 3m) and it would need 3 reinforced

Has anyone had a similar conversion recently? To be honest apart from a bit of internet research I have no idea whether I'm looking at 18-20k or 28-30k so would appreciate any informed estimates.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
I've sent a load of emails out to local (Sussex) loft conversion companies for quotes and only had 1 chap so far come back to me and come round to measure up etc, I'm expecting a quote in the next 10 days.

I have a 3 bed end of terrace new build (8 years old) with a truss roof, I'm looking for a staircase over the existing staircase (which I know is possible) up to a single open plan loft bedroom - no bath / shower room with 2 velux windows.

Has anyone had a similar conversion recently? To be honest apart from a bit of internet research I have no idea whether I'm looking at 18-20k or 28-30k so would appreciate any informed estimates.

I reckon you are looking at 18-20k or 28-30k.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I was quoted for similar 5 years ago and they were all upwards of £28k

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I would say 28k minimum to 35k max.

Creative attic solutions did mine & were ace - fixed price / quote & no hassle

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Depending on size/finish obviously, between £25,000 and £35,000 if just putting in veluxe's. If you go for a dormer add another £5,000/£10,000.

This is based on prices in Winchester - I regularly have to organise quotes for two/three bed Victorian terraces. Just had one back yesterday which is a large 2 bed and they were going to put a dormer in which came to £45,000.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We had one ten years ago in Brighton and it was nearly 30k then, with dormer. It was done extremely professionally by Sound House. Reckon you'll be looking at nearer 40k now.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
You can save a fair amount by asking the company to do the shell and then get your own tradesmen or yourself to finish off. I did this and saved c£10k from the quotes I got for the whole thing. And get lots of quotes, the range is wide

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patreon
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer

Probably £30k ish. You have to pay VAT at 20% unless you find a start up that is still under the VAT threshold?

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I’ve just had completed a loft conversion from existing one large bedroom & bathroom, to 3 good size bedrooms, gable end out, move staircase, preserve existing bathroom.

Total cost £26500 not including paint & carpet. Very competitive price and great finish. Happy to give details of company based in Worthing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
I’ve just had completed a loft conversion from existing one large bedroom & bathroom, to 3 good size bedrooms, gable end out, move staircase, preserve existing bathroom.

Total cost £26500 not including paint & carpet. Very competitive price and great finish. Happy to give details of company based in Worthing.

That does sound very good, price wise.

Could you PM me the company’s details please, many thanks!

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Christ, definitely at the higher end of what I was expecting. Thank you all for your replies, best get some more quotes lined up.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford

That sounds like an existing loft conversion altered rather than one from scratch, am I right?

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I would always call builders & not email. They are all busy (if good) & havent got time to respond. Talk to them & build up a rapport - they'll all say they have to come & see it to estimate / quote

& make sure you know the difference between an estimate & quote & dont start with a builder until you've got a quote

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Ours was around 35k. Frustrating business, put the work out to four companies. Two failed to respond, third quoted 60k, fourth 35k and worked to budget. Very pleased we had it done. A few teething problems including one worker falling off the roof. (Survived with broken leg.)

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Using my psychic powers, I would say you did not start with a trussed roof.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
That sounds like an existing loft conversion altered rather than one from scratch, am I right?

Spot on. However I was told by all that quoted the job, that working in an empty roof is cheaper. Dismantling existing structures adds cost. We were able to retain the (almost brand new) bathroom but had to move the staircase and pull out a gable.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Using my psychic powers, I would say you did not start with a trussed roof.

The builders all wished we had. Dismantling existing conversions adds labour and exposes the bodges & shortcuts of previous builders.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here